Google Chrome is one of the finest alternative browsers I have used till date. Many try to make it even better by adding features of their own. Chrome is based on the open-source project Chromium – and that makes its source code readily available to anyone. So, any user having an interest of developing a browser can make use of this source-code and come up with his Chrome-like version.
Comodo Dragon, SRWare and many more such Chromium-based browsers are available. Maple Studio has released a Google Chrome alternative with some useful extras – CoolNovo. Formerly known as ChromePlus, CoolNovo is fast and light-weight browser just like Google Chrome, but with some useful extras. The browser uses lesser amount of system resources than Chrome. Its latest version, version 188.8.131.52 includes many improvements. For instance, it has fixed the bug that causes the browser to freeze when switching tabs. It offers improved Privacy Protection, IE Mode tab feature, Adblocker, Drag to search, Mouse gestures and more.
- Once you have downloaded and installed the browser, open it. The interface is very similar to Chrome and it should be after all, it’s based on the Chromium source-code.
- In the address field of the browser, Google Chrome icon is visible. The icon indicates that you are currently in ‘Chrome’ mode and can switch to Internet Explorer mode by clicking on it. Few web pages use IE controls only and run in IE correctly hence, you can switch to IE mode tab to visit these pages, when required.
- To bookmark a page, simply click on the star-shaped icon adjacent to Chrome icon and click on ‘Done’.
- Also, towards the left hand side, In the upper left corner you will find the button to re-open the closed tabs.
- If you would like to customize your browser more, click on settings button and choose ‘Options’. From the ‘Options’ section you can edit ‘Under the hood settings’, Basic settings, IE tab settings and more.
- Additionally, you can enable certain mouse gesture features. These gestures allow you to make efficient commands.
- Just click on any mouse gesture, read the list of actions that the gesture supports and choose the one that you find easier to use.
On a final note, CoolNovo browser works well but has one shortfall. It makes itself the default browser on installation without informing you at all. That is unpardonable. However, one can solve this issue by clicking Customize and clearing the relevant option.
UPDATE: Please read comment/s below before you decide to download it.