Microsoft Defender is the default antivirus software on Windows 11 and Windows 10 and it is quite popular. It is a great way to protect your PC from viruses, spyware, and other cyber threats. However, at times, Microsoft Defender Antivirus is giving them error messages and they do not know what the problem is. Some cannot turn on Windows Defender or for others it is turned off or not working. This can be frustrating and the solutions vary depending on the cause of the issue. Fortunately, we have compiled a list of common Microsoft Defender Antivirus error codes and how to fix them so you know what to do when you get one.
How do I fix Windows Defender error?
Generally speaking, the common ways you can fix Microsoft Defender is as follows:
- Uninstall 3rd-party antivirus software
- Restart your PC
- Scan your PC for malware using a standalone on-demand scanner
- Restart Security Center Service
- Run an SFC scan.
Microsoft Defender error codes and solutions
Here in this article, you will see a list of Microsoft Defender Antivirus error code where we have provided their possible causes and resolutions. You can check the following error codes to help troubleshoot any problems you have with Microsoft Defender Antivirus:
- Error code 0x80508007
- Error code: 0x8050800C
- Error code: 0x80508020
- Error code: 0x805080211
- Error code: 0x80508022
- Error code: 0x80508023
- Error code: 0x80508024
- Error code: 0x80508025
- Error code: 0x80508026
- Error code: 0x80508027
- Error code: 0x80508029
- Error code: 0x80508030
- Error code: 0x80508031
We have listed most of the Microsoft Defender Antivirus error codes, along with the possible solutions. You can use the below information to help troubleshoot the error codes. Let’s now see the possible reason for each error code. Also, you will get the appropriate suggestions on what to do now.
1] Error code 0x80508007
You can use the below information to help troubleshoot Error code 0x80508007:
- The error code is accompanied by an error message ERR_MP_NO_MEMORY.
- The root cause of this error is to run out of memory.
- As a resolution, you first need to check the available memory on your device.
- If you find your drive is running out of room, then uninstall the unused application and move your important files to any other drives.
- Once you’re done, restart your computer and try to run the Windows Defender scan again.
2] Error code: 0x8050800C
You can use the below information to help troubleshoot Error code 0x8050800C:
- The error code is accompanied by an error message ERR_MP_BAD_INPUT_DATA.
- If you get this problem, it means there is a problem with your security product.
Solution: Run a Full scan using the following suggestions.
- Open the Settings app.
- Click on Update & Security > Windows Security.
- Select the Virus & threat protection option.
- Click on the Scan options.
- Select the Full scan checkbox and then hit Scan now button.
- Then restart the device and try again.
3] Error code: 0x80508020
Here are the possible reasons for the Error code 0x80508020:
- This error code is accompanied by an error message ERR_MP_BAD_CONFIGURATION.
- The primary cause for this error could be an engine configuration error. So, if you’re encountering this problem on your PC, it means the input data is not allowing the engine to work properly.
4] Error code: 0x805080211
The possible reasons and the suggestions for the Error code 0x805080211 is as follows:
- The error code is accompanied by an error message ERR_MP_QUARANTINE_FAILED.
- Error code 0x805080211 occurs if the Windows Defender Firewall fails to quarantine malware. To solve this issue, you can try scanning your PC using any third-party antivirus tool.
5] Error code: 0x80508022
To fix Error code 0x80508022, you can use the below suggestions:
- The error code is accompanied by an error message ERR_MP_REBOOT_REQUIRED.
- If you’re experiencing this error, chances you’re dealing with malicious software like viruses and spyware.
- Restart your PC to remove the threats.
6] Error code: 0x80508023
Error code 0x80508023 may occur for the following reasons:
- The error code is accompanied by an error message ERR_MP_THREAT_NOT_FOUND.
- Malicious programs like viruses and spyware are the major reason to occur this issue.
- These threats stop users from scanning the computer and in last, it results in the error code 0x80508023.
- As a resolution, download the Microsoft Safety Scanner and then run this tool. After that, update your antivirus software and this should fix the error code.
7] Error code: 0x80508024
The following could explain the appearance of error code 0x80508024:
- The error code is accompanied by an error message ERR_MP_FULL_SCAN_REQUIRED.
- A full system scan may fix the error code.
- Run a full system scan, then restart your PC.
8] Error code: 0x80508025
These are some probable causes and solutions to the error code 0x80508025:
- The error code is accompanied by an error message ERR_MP_MANUAL_STEPS_REQUIRED.
- Manual steps are needed to remove the threat.
- Remove the threat manually.
9] Error code: 0x80508026
The possible reasons and the suggestions for the Error code 0x80508026 is as follows:
- The error code is accompanied by an error message ERR_MP_REMOVE_NOT_SUPPORTED.
- There may be a problem removing content inside the container type.
- A threat detected in the archive cannot be remedied by Microsoft Defender Antivirus. In such a case, you may want to remove the detected resources manually
10] Error code: 0x80508027
Here are some important points about the Error code 0x80508027:
- An error message provided by the error code 0x80508027 is ERR_MP_REMOVE_LOW_MEDIUM_DISABLED.
- The error message shows that low and medium threat removal may not be working.
You need to address the detected threats and fix them if necessary.
11] Error code: 0x80508029
The following are some important things about error code 0x80508029 that you should know:
- The error message for this error code is ERROR_MP_RESCAN_REQUIRED.
- It appears that the threat needs to be rescanned.
You can resolve this error by performing a full system scan on your Windows computer
12] Error code: 0x80508030
The details about error code 0x80508030 are below:
- The error message that comes along with this code is ERROR_MP_CALLISTO_REQUIRED.
- A scan offline is needed in this case.
- To resolve this issue, run Microsoft Defender Antivirus offline.
13] Error code: 0x80508031
The following information can be used to troubleshoot Error code 0x80508031:
- This code is accompanied by the error message ERROR_MP_PLATFORM_OUTDATED.
- It indicates that Microsoft Defender Antivirus is not compatible with the current platform, and requires a new one.
- To fix this error code, run Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows 11/10, while System Center Endpoint Protection can be used on Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista.
More Microsoft Defender Error Codes:
How do I check Defender logs?
You can check Microsoft Defender Antivirus event logs as follows: Open Event Viewer. Expand Applications and Services Logs, Expand Microsoft > Windows V Windows Defender. Click open Operational. Now, in the details pane, you can view the list of individual events.
You may also want to check out these posts which help troubleshoot Windows Defender problems:
- Windows Defender service has stopped Error Code 0x800106ba
- Windows Defender Error Code 0x800106ba Application failed to initialize
- Windows Defender Error MSASCui.exe, Unable To Locate Component
- Windows Defender will not update definitions Error 2147023278, 0x80240029
- Windows Defender error 0x800700aa, The Service couldn’t be started
- Windows Defender will not turn off even when 3rd party AntiVirus is installed5
- Windows Defender Error 577, Cannot verify the digital signature
- Windows Defender will not update definitions
- Windows Defender PC status – Potentially unprotected.