Microsoft has recently launched Windows 10 Creators Update v1703. Although the Settings app was introduced in the initial release of Windows 10, the latest version has brought loads of new functionalities in the Settings panel. This article contains every new option & setting available in the new Windows 10 Settings app.
New settings available in Windows 10 Settings
Some features are removed from this System Settings panel of Settings. However, the following features are new in this latest version of Settings panel.
- Shared experiences: This function helps users to open apps, send a message and on any other devices running the same Microsoft account. However, this is also possible to share apps and send messages to any nearby device.
- Night Lights: This is a new feature that lets you control the brightness of your computer display screen.
Microsoft has removed Apps & Features, Default apps, Offline maps, etc.
Although most of the options are same, a couple of new options are included:
- Themes: Windows 7 like the Theme feature is back again in Windows 10 v1703. Microsoft removed that functionality from previous versions of Windows 10. However, now you can download your favorite themes from Windows Store. Apart from that, you see some options like Background, Color, Sounds, and Mouse cursor.
- Start: One additional option called “Show app list in Start menu” has been added in this section. The other options are same.
This is a completely new category added in the Settings panel of Windows 10 Creators Update. Here you will see the following options:
- Apps & Features: Here, you can manage app installation, block third-party apps from being installed, manage installed apps, etc.
- Default apps: This section of Settings panel will let you manage default apps in Windows 10. You can change or assign your favorite app as your default file opener.
- Offline Maps: Offline maps has been moved from “System” to “Apps” section of Settings panel.
- Apps for websites: Another feature from “System” panel is moved to “Apps” section. You can manage the website that can be opened by an app here.
- Dynamic Lock: This feature helps you lock Windows 10 automatically when you step away
This is another new category included in the Settings panel. These following features are new in this category.
- Game bar: It helps users to record games, screenshots, and live stream the game.
- Game DVR: It assists Windows 10 users to control how your machine is capturing your game.
- Broadcasting: as the name suggests, this option helps users to control how your game appears when you live stream it.
- Game Mode: this is one of the best options since it helps users to optimize your computer for a particular game so that you can get the best performance while playing.
Ease of Access settings
- One new feature is included in the Narrator section called Braille. This is currently under development. It helps users to communicate with a braille display. However, it requires a third-party software that is available in the Windows Store. It does support more than 40 languages.
- You can find Audio options in Other options. This helps users to enable to disable Mono audio.
- Now you can directly turn on speech services and typing suggestions. This option is now included in Speech, inking, & typing
- Tasks: This is a whole new sub-category listed in the Settings panel. You can add tasks, manage apps which are using Tasks, and much more.
- Feedback & diagnostics: In this section, you can find a new option called Diagnostic and usage data. You can manage what data and how much data is sent send to Microsoft to provide tailored experiences.
- App diagnostics: It helps users to allow apps to control your diagnostic information.
Update & security settings
- Troubleshoot: This option will aid you to fix common problems related to internet connections, audio, printer, Windows Update, Blue Screen, Bluetooth, hardware, HomeGroup, keyboard, power, network adapter, audio recording, etc.
- Find my device: This is another new setting available in Windows 10 V1703 Settings app. You can find your lost device, and track a lost laptop and much more. Also, you can turn off this functionality.
- Windows Defender Security Center: From here you can manage all your security settings.
These are new features included in Windows 10 v1703 Settings app. Microsoft has also changed some icons – like the Windows Update icon.
If you are an IT admin wanting to restrict access to Windows 10 Settings page then this post will show you how to configure Windows 10 Settings visibility to hide all or select settings.
Stay tuned as we plan to cover each of these in detail in due course.