Are you experiencing the error code 2(-998) on Hulu? Hulu is a popular streaming service to enjoy your favorite movies, web series, TV shows, and other entertainment content. It is a great service, but users keep running into different error codes that ruin their streaming experience. One such error code is 2(-998). Here is the error message that accompanies this error code:
Error playing this video
Sorry, we encountered an error playing this video. Please try restarting the video or select something else to watch.
Error code: 2(-998)
Now, if you are one of the users who is facing the same error, this post will interest you. In this post, we will mention all the possible fixes that will help you fix error code 2(-998) on Hulu on your PC or Xbox One.
What causes Hulu Error Code 2(-998)?
Here are the potential causes of the error code 2(-998) on Hulu:
- If the Hulu servers are down at the moment, you might face the error at hand.
- It could be caused due to an internet connectivity issue.
- An outdated or corrupted app can be another reason for the same.
- Another reason can be a corrupted app cache.
How to fix Fix Hulu Error Code 2(-998) on PC or Xbox One
Here are the troubleshooting methods you can use to fix the error code 2(-998) on Hulu on your PC or Xbox One:
- Use basic troubleshooting methods.
- Check the server status of Hulu.
- Test your internet connection.
- Power cycle your PC and router.
- Update your Hulu app.
- Flush the DNS cache.
- Clear Hulu / web browser cache.
- Uninstall, then reinstall Hulu.
- Contact the Hulu support team.
1] Use basic troubleshooting methods
First, we would recommend you try some generic troubleshooting methods to fix the error code 2(-998) on Hulu. The error could be due to a temporary glitch. Hence, try reloading the video with which you are experiencing the error at hand and see if the error is gone.
Another thing you can do is restart the Hulu app on your PC by closing the app completely using Task Manager and then launching it again. If the error is fixed, great. However, if it doesn’t resolve the error, restart your PC and then open Hulu to check if the error is fixed or not.
In case you are using Hulu in a web browser, close the web browser and then reopen it to check if the error is gone or not.
Also, do check your subscription plan and make sure it is not expired. If it is, you will have to renew your subscription to continue streaming videos on Hulu.
If the error still keeps popping up, you can move on to the next potential fix to get rid of the error.
2] Check the server status of Hulu
The error could also be triggered if there is an ongoing server issue at the end of Hulu. It is possible that Hulu servers are currently dealing with technical difficulties which is why you are getting the error code 2(-998) on Hulu. There might be a server outage or servers might be under maintenance. So, check the current status of Hulu servers and make sure the services are available.
There are a lot of free server-status detector tools that can tell you the exact server status of Hulu. Use services like IsItDownRightNow.com, DownOrIsItJustMe.com, DownDetector.com, etc., and find out Hulu servers’ status. In case there is a server issue at the Hulu site, there is nothing you can do to fix the error. All you can do is wait for some time to let the Hulu team fix the error. You can keep trying to reload the video meanwhile.
In case you find out that there is no server issue at the end of Hulu, there must be some other reason causing the error code 2(-998) on Hulu. So, you can move on to the next potential fix to resolve the error.
3] Test your internet connection
You need an active and stable internet connection to stream and watch videos on Hulu. If there is a connectivity issue, you are likely to experience video playback error codes like 2(-998) on Hulu. It is essential to have a reliable internet connection to stream your favorite videos on Hulu smoothly. So, make sure you are connected to an active network connection.
You can check the speed of your internet using a free online Internet Speed Test tool or a free internet speed test app for Windows 11/10. Consider upgrading your internet plan if the speed is quite slow for streaming videos. There could also be some internet connectivity issues, so troubleshoot WiFi issues and then see if the error is fixed or not. Besides that, update your network driver and check if the error is gone.
If your internet connection is working fine, move on to the next potential fix to resolve the error code 2(-998) on Hulu.
4] Power cycle your PC and router
For some affected users, performing a power cycle on their PC and networking device i.e., router has helped them fix the error at hand. So, you can also try doing the same and see if Hulu error 2(-998) is fixed or not. Here’s how you can do that:
- Firstly, shut down your PC or the streaming device you are using like Xbox One.
- Now, simply unplug your PC from the power socket.
- Next, turn off your router and other networking devices and unplug them.
- After that, leave the devices unplugged for at least 2 minutes.
- Then, connect the power cord of your networking devices one by one and let them load completely.
- Now, plug-in your computer and restart it.
- Finally, open Hulu and check if the error is fixed or not.
If you continue to face the same error on Hulu, move on to the next potential fix.
5] Update your Hulu app
You are likely to run into playback and other errors on Hulu including 2(-998) if your Hulu app is outdated. It is necessary to keep updating your app, or else it might not perform well and you will also miss out on some amazing new features. Hence, it is recommended to update the Hulu app to have a smooth streaming experience.
Users who have installed the app on their Windows 11/10 PC, can use Microsoft Store to update the Hulu app to its latest version. Here are the steps to do so:
- First, open Microsoft Store from the Start menu and go to Library.
- Now, click on the Get updates button to scan for available updates.
- It will then install updates for your apps.
- Once the app is updated, launch it and check if the error is fixed.
In case you are using a web browser for Hulu, make sure your web browser is up-to-date. Just update Google Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, etc., and then open the Hulu web app to see if the error is fixed or not.
If the error code 2(-998) still pops up while watching a video on Hulu, move on to the next solution to fix it.
6] Flush the DNS cache
The playback error code 2(-998) on Hulu could be caused due to outdated or corrupted DNS cache. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, you can delete the DNS cache to fix the error. Here is how you can flush the DNS cache on Windows 11/10 PC:
- Firstly, you can use the taskbar search option to open the Command Prompt with administrator rights.
- Now, write the following command in the CMD window:
- After that, press the Enter button to execute the above command.
- Once you see a “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache” message, reboot your PC and then open Hulu to check if the error is fixed.
If you still receive the same error, move on to the next potential fix to resolve it.
7] Clear Hulu / web browser cache
You might be dealing with the corrupted cache associated with the Hulu app which is triggering the error at hand. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, delete the Hulu app cache and see if the error is fixed or not.
If you are using Hulu on Xbox One, use the below steps:
- Move to Menu and click on My Games and Apps.
- Highlight the Hulu app and press the Menu button on your Xbox controller.
- Choose Manage Apps and click on the Clear saved data option.
For people who use Hulu’s web app version in their web browser, clear your web browser cache and see if the error is fixed. You can use the below steps to clear the browser cache in Google Chrome:
- Firstly, open Google Chrome, click on the three-dot menu button present at the top-right corner, and select the More tools > Clear browsing data option.
- Now, set the Time range to All time and tick the Cached images and files checkbox.
- Next, press the Clear data button and once the cache is cleared, restart Chrome.
- Finally, open Hulu and check if the error still persists.
Below are the steps to remove the cache in Microsoft Edge:
- First, open Edge and press Settings and more > Settings.
- After that, move to the Privacy and services section.
- In the right-side panel, under the Clear browsing data panel, click on the Choose what to clear button.
- Now, choose the Time range as All time and enable the Cached images and files checkbox.
- Finally, press the Clear now button and when done, reopen Edge to check if the error is fixed or not.
If you use Mozilla Firefox to stream Hulu, try the below steps clear the cache:
- First, open your Mozilla Firefox browser and press the three-bar menu button.
- After that, click on the History > Clear recent history option.
- Next, choose Everything as the Time range and checkmark the Cache option.
- Now, press the OK button and it will delete the browser cache.
- Finally, relaunch Firefox and check if the error code 2(-998) on Hulu is fixed or not.
Similarly, you can clear the Opera cache and see if the error is fixed or not.
8] Uninstall, then reinstall Hulu
This error might be caused due to a faulty installation of the Hulu app. Hence, the last resort to fix the error is to uninstall the app and then reinstall it.
You can uninstall Hulu using the Settings app. First, press Win+I to open Settings and go to Apps > Installed apps. Now, scroll down to the Hulu app and select the three-dot menu button present next to it. Next, click on the Uninstall option and follow the instructions to remove Hulu from your PC. Once done, you can reinstall Hulu from Microsoft Store. Hopefully, you won’t experience the error at hand.
9] Contact the Hulu support team
If all the above solutions fail, you can contact the official support team of Hulu and submit your complaint, They will reach out to you with possible fixes.
How do I fix error 2 on Hulu?
To fix runtime error code 2 on Hulu, make sure your streaming device is up-to-date and also make sure that your device fulfills the minimum Hulu system requirements. Apart from that, update the Hulu app, delete the app cache, check your internet connection, power cycle your devices, or reinstall the Hulu app.
How do I fix Hulu error P DEV320?
You can fix Hulu error code P-DEV320 by updating your Hulu app. Also, test your internet connection and make sure you are connected to an active and stable internet connection. Apart from that, delete the app cache, perform a power cycle on your streaming and networking devices, or contact the support team of Hulu.
Hope this helps.