Is the voice chat not working fine on Fortnite for you? Some Fortnite players have reported being unable to use the voice chat feature in the Fortnite game. The affected users can’t speak through their microphones or listen to other players in the game. This can be frustrating as it keeps you from communicating with your co-players in the game. Now, if you are one of those users facing the same issue, don’t worry. We have a list of fixes that you can try to get rid of this issue.
Why is voice chat not working on Fortnite?
Here are the potential causes as to why voice chat might not be working fine on Fortnite:
- It can be caused if your Windows or sound card driver is not updated. So, make sure to update Windows and sound card drivers to fix the issue.
- If your microphone is physically damaged, it can cause the issue at hand. Hence, check your microphone and ensure that it is working fine.
- The voice chat might not work if your game is not up-to-date.
- You will face the issue if the microphone access is disabled for the Fortnite game.
- In case your Windows sound settings and in-game voice chat settings are not configured properly, you will face the issue at hand.
Fortnite Voice Chat not working on PC
Here are the methods you can try if voice chat is not working on Fortnite:
- Try generic fixes.
- Keep your sound card driver updated.
- Update Windows.
- Install the latest Fortnite patch.
- Ensure that Fortnite has access permission to your microphone.
- Check your audio settings.
- Change your in-game voice chat settings.
- Reinstall Fortnite.
1] Try generic fixes
Before getting into advanced troubleshooting methods, you can start with some general fixes. Here are the fixes you can try:
- You can try restarting the game and see if the voice chat is working fine. In many instances, the issue is caused due to some temporary glitch with the game. So, this should fix the problem for you.
- Try logging out of the Fortnite game and then again signing into the game.
- Check your microphone properly and make sure it is working fine.
- You can unplug your microphone and try connecting it to a different USB port.
- Make sure the volume on your PC is not mute.
If you tried the above methods and the problem still persists, try the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
Read: Fix Fortnite keeps crashing or freezing on Windows PC.
2] Keep your sound card driver updated
Most sound issues on a computer are triggered due to an outdated or faulty sound card driver. So, if the scenario is applicable, update your sound card driver to its latest version and check if the issue is resolved or not.
You can install the latest update for your sound card driver via the Settings app. Open the Settings app using Win+I and go to the Windows Update section. You can now click on the Optional Updates option and download and install available driver updates. Other than that, you can also download and install the latest version of your audio driver from the official website of the device manufacturer.
Another conventional method to update the sound card driver is to use the Device Manager app. First, launch the Device Manager app and locate the Sound category. Now, select your input audio device and press the right-click on it. After that, click on the Update Driver option and follow the onscreen guide to update the driver. You can also try a free driver updater
Once done updating your sound card driver, reopen the Fortnite game and try using the voice chat. Hopefully, the problem is fixed now. If not, you can move on to the next potential fix.
Read: Fortnite Sound lags or stutters or Audio cutting out on Windows PC.
3] Update Windows
As mentioned on the official Epic Games website, your Windows needs to be fully updated to use the voice chat feature on Fortnite properly. Hence, make sure the Windows is updated to its latest build. To update Windows, you can open Settings using Win+I and go to the Windows Update tab. Then, press the Check for updates button and then download and install all the pending Windows updates.
If the problem still persists, go ahead and try the next potential fix.
4] Install the latest Fortnite patch
Your game needs to be updated to avoid such issues. So, make sure you have installed the latest game patch for Fortnite. To do that, follow the below steps:
- Firstly, open Epic Games Launcher and go to Library.
- Now, locate the Fortnite game and click on the gear button associated with it.
- Next, from the Settings options, enable the toggle associated with the Auto update option.
- After that, relaunch the Epic Games Launcher application. In case there is a patch available for Fortnite, it will automatically download and install it.
- Once the game is updated, reopen it and see if the issue is fixed or not.
In case voice chat is still not working on Fortnite, you can try the next method.
Read: How to fix Login Failed in Fortnite?
5] Ensure that Fortnite has access permission to your microphone
If you have installed the game through Microsoft Store, make sure Fortnite has access permission to your microphone. Here’s how to enable microphone permission from Privacy & security settings:
- Firstly, hit the WIndows+I key combination to open the Settings app.
- Now, navigate to the Privacy & settings tab.
- After that, scroll down to the App permissions section and select Microphone.
- Next, locate the Fortnite game and make sure that the associated toggle is enabled.
- Finally, reopen the game and check if the voice chat is working or not.
If you have already enabled microphone access for Fortnite and still experience the same issue, move on to the next potential fix.
See: Fix Dread Hunger Voice Chat or Mic is not working.
6] Check your audio settings
You can also check your audio settings on your PC and make sure they are configured correctly. Here are the sound settings you can check and modify accordingly:
- Firstly, open Control Panel from the taskbar search option.
- Now, click on the Sound category to open up the Sound settings window.
- Next, go to the Playback tab, select your speakers/headphones, and then press the Set Default button.
- Then, move to the Recording tab, choose your active microphone device, and click on the Set Default button to make it your default recording device.
- After that, select the unused device if any, right-click on it, and press the Disable option.
- Finally, relaunch the game and see if the problem is fixed or not.
Does the problem still persist? No worries, we got a few more fixes that should be able to fix the issue for you.
Read: Fix Steam Voice Chat not working on Windows PC.
7] Change your in-game voice chat settings
In addition to the sound settings on Windows, you should also check and change your in-game voice chat settings on Fortnite. Here is how to do that:
- Firstly, launch the Fortnite game and click on the three-bar menu button, and then press the gear icon to open the game settings.
- Now, navigate to the Audio (speaker icon) tab and make sure the Voice Chat option is turned On.
- After that, check Voice Chat Volume and make sure it is set to maximum or at least more than 50.
- Then, make sure Voice Chat Input Device and Voice Chat Output Device are set to Default.
- When done modifying the voice chat settings, click on the Apply button.
- Finally, open the game and check if the voice chat is working fine now.
If the voice chat is still not working properly, we have one more fix for you.
See: Mic works on Discord, but not in game chat.
8] Reinstall Fortnite
The last resort to resolve the issue is to reinstall the Fortnite game. For that, uninstall the game and then reinstall it. Here’s how you can do that:
- First, start Epic Games Launcher and navigate to Library.
- Now, select the gear button present in the lower-right corner of the Fortnite game.
- Next, press the Uninstall option and let the process finish.
- Once done, restart your PC and try reinstalling the game via Epic Games Launcher.
- Finally, launch the game and check if you can use the voice chat feature or not.
Hopefully, the voice chat on Fortnite will start working fine now.
Now read: Fix VALORANT Voice Chat Not Working on Windows PC.
Why cant my teammates hear me on Fortnite?
If your teammates can’t hear you on Fortnite, the problem might be with your microphone. So, check your microphone and make sure it is working fine. Also, ensure that the voice chat volume in the game is set to 50% or higher.
How do I enable my voice chat on Fortnite?
To enable voice chat on Fortnite, click on the menu button in the game and then press the gear (settings) icon to open up the Settings window. After that, move to the Audio tab and set the Voice Chat option to On.