Discord is a widely used VOIP and instant messaging app. It is especially used by gamers to chat with each other while playing games. But, many Discord users have complained that their Discord mic is working but not in the game. As per some users, the mic doesn’t work on a few games like Fortnite, Overwatch, etc. If you are experiencing the same issue, we got you covered. Here, we will be mentioning fixes that will help you get rid of the problem at hand. So, without much ado, let us get straight to the solutions.
Why does the mic work on Discord but not in the game?
Here are the potential causes that your microphone might work on Discord but not in the game:
- If your audio drivers are not up-to-date, you are likely to experience such audio issues. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, you can try updating your audio drivers to fix the problem.
- The problem might be caused due to some issues with the USB port you are using. Hence, you can try changing the USB port and see if the problem is fixed.
- Your Voice Settings in Discord can also cause the issue at hand. So, you can try resetting your voice settings on Discord and check if the problem is fixed or not.
- If you haven’t chosen the right recording device on your system, you are likely to face the issue at hand. Hence, in that case, set up your recording device as default and check if the problem is fixed or not.
Now that you know the scenarios triggering the issue at hand, you can try a suitable fix from this post.
Mic works on Discord but not in game chat
Before trying the below-listed fixes, make sure you have connected your microphone properly. In some cases, if your mic is getting disconnected every now and then, you might face the issue at hand. if the microphone is properly connected, here are the fixes you can try if your microphone is not working in the game using the Discord overlay:
- Change the USB port.
- Make sure your audio device drivers are up-to-date.
- Run the Recording Audio troubleshooter.
- Reset Voice Settings in Discord.
- Set up the recording device.
- Uninstall, then reinstall the input audio device.
1] Change the USB port
The first thing you should try to fix the issue is to change the USB port that you are using to connect your microphone. In some instances, there might be some issue with your USB port that is causing the issue. So, you can play around and try switching to a different USB port. Unplug your microphone from the current port and plug it into another USB port. After that, open Discord and try in-game chat to check if the problem is resolved or not.
If the problem still persists, you can try the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
2] Make sure your audio device drivers are up-to-date
You are likely to face audio and sound issues on your system if your audio drivers are out-of-date. It is always recommended to keep your device drivers updated to avoid device malfunctions. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, update your audio drivers and then see if the problem is resolved or not.
You can update your audio drivers using different methods. One of the easiest ways to update audio drivers is using the Settings app. Press Windows+I to launch the Settings app and then move to the Windows Update section. From here, you can click on the Optional Updates option and then download and install all pending device driver updates.
You can also get the latest audio driver from the official website of the device manufacturer. Just go to the respective website, search for the audio driver with its model name and version, download the driver, and install the driver on your PC.
The Device Manager app can also be used to update the audio driver. First, open the Device Manager app, scroll to the Sound category, and expand its drop-down menu. Now, choose your active input audio device and right-click on it. Next, tap on the Update Driver option and follow the prompted instructions to finish the update process.
If you want to update audio and other device drivers without putting in any effort, you can try a free driver updater.
Hopefully, updating your audio drivers will fix the issue for you. In case it doesn’t, try the next potential fix to resolve the problem.
3] Run the Recording Audio troubleshooter
If the above solutions didn’t work, you can try running the Recording Audio troubleshooter. Windows provides various troubleshooters to identify and fix respective problems. Along with multiple troubleshooters, it also offers an audio troubleshooter to fix issues with recording audio on your system. Here are the steps to run this troubleshooter:
- Firstly, hit the Windows+I hotkey to launch the Settings app.
- Now, go to the System tab and click on the Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooter option.
- After that, scroll down to the Recording Audio option and press the Run button associated with it.
- The Recording Audio troubleshooter will scan all your input audio devices. Once done, select your active microphone device and click on the Next button.
- It will now start identifying audio problems and when down, you will be recommended some fixes. Just select a suitable fix and apply it.
- Finally, you can restart your PC and see if the problem is fixed now.
If the troubleshooter doesn’t fix the problem for you, move on to the next potential fix.
4] Reset Voice Settings in Discord
If the mic is not working in games on Discord, you can try resetting voice settings in the app. This might help you fix the issue as it did for several affected users. Here are the steps to do so:
- Firstly, open the Discord app and press the User Settings option.
- Next, click on the Voice & Video option under the App Settings section.
- Now, scroll down and locate the Reset Voice Settings option; just tap on this option.
- After that, press the Okay button on the confirmation prompt.
- Once the resetting process is done, exit the settings window and see if the issue is fixed or not.
If there is no improvement and your microphone is still not working in games on Discord, you can try the next potential fix.
5] Set up the recording device
In many cases, the problem might be caused if you haven’t configured the correct recording device on your PC. Hence, try setting up your recording device and see if the problem is resolved. Here is how to do that:
- First of all, make sure your microphone is properly connected to your PC.
- Next, press the right-click on the taskbar volume icon and then choose the Sound settings option.
- Now, tap on the More sound settings option.
- After that, navigate to the Recording tab and check your default input audio device (Default Communications Device).
- You can change the default recording device by right-clicking on your microphone and then selecting the Set as Default Communications Device option.
- Finally, press the Apply > OK button to save changes.
After that, try launching the affected game and see if you are able to voice chat using the Discord overlay. If the issue still persists, you can move on to the next fix to resolve the issue.
6] Uninstall, then reinstall the input audio device
If nothing else worked for you, the last resort is to reinstall the input audio device driver. The device might not be working properly if the audio device is not properly installed. Hence, uninstall and reinstall your input audio device to fix the issue. Here is how to do that:
- Firstly, right-click on the Start menu and select Device Manager.
- Now, click on the Audio inputs and outputs category and expand its drop-down menu.
- After that, right-click on your microphone and select the Uninstall device option from the appeared context menu.
- Once the process is done, reboot your PC and on the next startup, Windows will reinstall the missing audio device driver.
- If it doesn’t install the audio device itself, open Device Manager and click on the Action > Scan for hardware changes option to reinstall the driver.
- Finally, reopen the affected game and see if your mic is working or not.
Hopefully, you won’t face the same problem again.
This post will help you if the Discord Mic is not working at all even in the app.
Why is my mic not working on Windows 11/10?
If your mic is not working on Windows PC, it might be because your mic is muted. Other than that, if you don’t have set the permissions to access the mic, it won’t work. It could also be caused because of out-of-date audio device drivers. So, make sure your mic is not on mute, you have granted the required access permission for the microphone, and your audio device drivers are updated.