In this post, we will show you how you can overcome the RESULT_CODE_MISSING_DATA error on Chrome or Edge. Both are undoubtedly among the best Internet browsers available. However, many users have reported facing RESULT_CODE_MISSING_DATA error. This error stops you from visiting some particular website on the browser. Whereas, sometimes it can also crash the browser. So, if you are also dealing with the same issue, continue with this troubleshooting guide to fix the problem.
What Causes RESULT_CODE_MISSING_DATA Error on Chrome or Edge?
There are multiple reasons that can cause the mentioned issue on Chrome or Edge. But among all, below are some of the most common reasons triggering the problem.
- The very first reason causing the problem is the corrupted data file.
- A temporary back on the browser is another reason why you are facing the problem.
- Lastly, if you haven’t downloaded the latest chrome update for a long time, it’s no surprise you are facing different issues.
Fix RESULT_CODE_MISSING_DATA error on Chrome or Edge
Below is a list of all the effective workarounds you can try, in case you are facing RESULT_CODE_MISSING_DATA error on Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge. While we may have elaborated on the steps for Chrome, similar steps need to be taken for the Chromium-based Edge browser too.
- Restart the browser
- Download the latest update for Chrome or Edge browser
- Remove Unwanted Extensions
- Clear Browser Cache Data
- Change Compatibility for the browser
- Reset or Reinstall Chrome or Edge
Now, let’s check out all these solutions in detail.
1] Restart the browser
Restarting is one of the best ways by which you can get rid of any problem including RESULT_CODE_MISSING_DATA error. Doesn’t matter how simple it may sound, restarting is enough to get rid of the underlying issue. But before restarting, ensure that you have saved all the work on different tabs that are opened.
Once you have restarted Chrome or Edge, visit the website that was showing the mentioned error. Check if the problem continues. If not, continue with the next workaround.
2] Download the latest update for Chrome or Edge browser
Similar to any other application, it’s always recommended to keep updating the browser. The new update comes with new features and many bug fixes. Furthermore, the Chromium Issue Trackers inform the developers about different issues users are facing. So, download the latest browser update to fix the problem. Here are the steps you need to follow for Chrome.
- Open the Google Chrome browser on your system.
- Tap on the three-dots present at the top right corner of the screen.
- From the list of options, click on Settings.
- Click on the About Chrome option present at the left panel of the screen.
Now Google Chrome will check for any available updates. If found, it will automatically begin the downloading process. Once the update is downloaded, restart the browser and visit the website that was throwing the error. Check if the problem is fixed or not.
In a similar fashion, you can update Microsoft Edge.
3] Remove Unwanted Extension
Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge extensions are among the best way by which you can increase your productivity. However, like anything else on the internet, they also have their own sets of problems. There are instances of malicious or poorly coded extensions available on the Chrome and Edge store. If by any chance, you have installed either of those extensions, you will face different errors including the RESULT_CODE_MISSING_DATA error. Thus, make sure you are installing only trustable and necessary extensions. Here’s what you need to do to remove unnecessary extensions on Chrome or Edge.
- Launch Google Chrome on your system.
- Tap on the Extension icon present at the top of the screen.
- Click on Manage extensions.
- Look for all the unnecessary extensions, and upon the Remove option present under each extension.
You can even report the extension if you think it can harm other users as well. Once done, restart Chrome and check if the problem persists.
This post will show you how to remove unnecessary extensions from Edge.
4] Clear Browser Cache Data
Clearing cache data of Chrome is another effective way by which you can get rid of the mentioned issue. Here are the steps you need to follow to delete Google Chrome cache data. Before proceeding, make sure you close all the tabs on Chrome.
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three-dots present at the top right corner.
- Tap on the Security and Privacy option present at the left panel of the screen.
- Click on Clear browsing data.
- Checkmark Cached images and files, and click on Clear data.
That’s it. Revisit the website and check if you are still facing the error.
This post will show you how to clear browser cache & data from Edge.
5] Change Compatibility for the browser
Downloading the latest OS update can sometimes affect the compatibility of different applications. If you have recently updated your system to Windows 11 or downloaded the latest Windows 10 patch update, it’s no surprise you are facing the issue in Chrome or Edge.
Here is what you need to do to change Google Chrome compatibility.
- Right-click on the Google Chrome shortcut icon and choose Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab
- Checkmark Run this program in compatibility mode for and choose Windows 8 from the dropdown menu.
- Click on Apply > OK.
Similar steps need to be taken to change the Compatibility Mode for Edge.
6] Reset or Reinstall Chrome or Edge
Why does Google Chrome keep saying Aw snap?
The Aw snap error mainly occurs while trying to visit certain websites. The main reason behind this error is the corrupted browser. You can fix it by either updating the browser, or login in with new credentials.