Are you facing FPS drops and stutters with the Elden Ring game? Here is a complete guide to fix FPS drops and stuttering issues on Elden Ring on Windows 11/10 PC. There can be multiple reasons that can cause the problem at hand. Now, if you are also experiencing FPS drops or stutters in Elden Ring, you have landed on the correct page. In this post, we are going to discuss multiple fixes that will help you resolve the issue.
Elden Ring is the latest addition to the list of action role-playing games. It has already garnered a lot of popularity amongst gamers across the globe. However, like any other game, it has its own shares of problems faced by users. A lot of users have recently reported of being experiencing FPS drops and stuttering issues with the game. These issues prevent you from enjoying a smooth gaming experience.
What causes FPS drops in Elden Ring?
Here are the potential causes of the FPS drops or stuttering issue in Elden Ring:
- The problem might occur due to out-of-date and corrupted graphics drivers. So, if you haven’t updated your graphics driver in a while, make sure to update the graphics driver to fix the problem.
- It can also be caused due to corrupted, broken, or missing game files of Elden Ring. If the scenario is applicable, you can try verifying the integrity of game files to get rid of the problem.
- If you are using the overlay feature for Elden Ring, it can also cause the problem at hand. Hence, disable the overlay option in Steam to fix the issue.
- There can be other reasons as well that might cause the FPS drops and stuttering issue in Elden Ring, like unoptimized graphics settings, too many background applications, etc.
Based on the scenario most suited to you, apply the suitable fix from the below-mentioned solutions to resolve the issue.
Fix Elden Ring FPS Drops and Stuttering issues on Windows PC
Here are the methods that you can try to fix FPS drops and stuttering issues with Elden Ring:
- Make sure your graphics drivers are updated.
- Optimize graphics settings.
- Verify integrity of game files.
- Turn off the Steam overlay.
- Disable Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator.
- Set up the NVIDIA settings.
Let us discuss the above methods in detail now!
1] Make sure your graphics drivers are updated
Your graphics driver plays an important role in running a game smoothly on your PC. So, make sure you have updated graphics drivers as outdated and faulty graphics drivers can cause FPS drops and stuttering issues with the game.
To update your graphics drivers, you have different options which are as follow:
- You can open the Settings app and go to the Windows Update tab. Here, you can use the Optional Updates feature to download and install the latest updates for your graphics driver.
- Another way is to visit the official website of the device manufacturer and download the driver installer directly from the website. You can then run the installer and follow the onscreen instructions to install the latest graphics drivers on your PC.
- You can also update graphics drivers by using the Device Manager app. Here are the steps to do that:
- Press the Win+X hotkey and choose Device Manager from the appeared menu.
- Go to Display adapters and expand the respective menu.
- Select and press the right-click on your graphics card.
- Tap on the Update Driver option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process.
- There are several free driver update software that let you automatically update your graphics and other drivers. You can use one of the driver updater applications to quickly update your graphics drivers without putting in any effort.
When you are done updating your graphics driver, reboot your PC, and then try launching the Elden Ring game. Hopefully, the FPS drops and stuttering issues would be resolved now. If not, you can try the next potential fix to get rid of the issues.
2] Optimize graphics settings
In case you have a multi-GPU system, make sure you have optimized the graphics settings for the dedicated graphics card to utilize it properly. Here is how you can optimize your graphics settings:
- Firstly, open the Settings app using Win+I hotkey and go to the System > Display > Graphics section.
- Now, select Desktop app from the drop-down list and then tap on the Browse button to add the executable for Elden Ring (eldenring.exe file).
- Next, when the game is added, select it and click on Options.
- After that, choose High performance and tap on the Save button.
- Finally, relaunch the game and check if the FPS drops issue is resolved.
If this doesn’t fix the problem for you, try the next solution to fix the problem.
Read: Fix Elden Ring white screen crash on startup in Windows PC.
3] Verify integrity of game files
In multiple instances, the FPS drops and stuttering issues with the game are caused due to the corrupted game files. So, if the scenario is applicable, you should be able to fix the problem by verifying the integrity of the game files of Elden Ring. Steam (game launcher) provides a dedicated feature to verify and repair the broken and missing files.
Here is the sorted procedure to verify the integrity of game files on Steam:
- Firstly, start the Steam client and go to LIBRARY.
- Now, locate the Elden Ring game title and right-click on it.
- From the appeared context menu, select the Properties option.
- Next, navigate to the Local Files tab and click on the Verify integrity of game files button present at the right-hand side panel.
- When the verification process is complete, try launching the game and see if the problem is now fixed or not.
If this method doesn’t fix the issues for you, there might be some other underlying reason causing the problem. So, move on to the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
Related: Elden Ring not launching on Windows PC.
4] Turn off the Steam overlay
One of the common causes of FPS drops in games like Elden Ring is the use of the overlay feature. If you have enabled the overlay function for Elden Ring, try disabling it and then see if the problem is fixed or not.
Here are the steps to disable overlay in Steam:
- Firstly, start Steam and navigate to LIBRARY.
- Now, right-click on Elden Ring, and from the context menu, choose the Properties option.
- Next, in the General tab, uncheck the Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game option.
- After that, relaunch the Elden Ring game and see if the problem is resolved or not.
If the problem persists, try the next solution to fix it.
5] Disable Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator
Some affected users were able to fix the FPS drops issue with the game by disabling Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator. So, you can try doing the same and see if it helps you improve FPS drops. If it doesn’t, you can re-enable it later.
To disable Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator, follow the below steps:
- Firstly, press Win+X and select Device Manager from the pop-up menu.
- Now, scroll down to Software devices and double-click on it to expand the menu.
- Next, right-click on Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator and select the Disable device option.
- After that, relaunch the Elden Ring game and see if the problem is fixed or not.
See: Fix Elden Ring flickering black screen boxes on Windows.
6] Set up the NVIDIA settings
If you are using an NVIDIA graphics card, you can configure some graphics settings to improve FPS drops. Here is how to do that:
- First, go to our desktop, right-click on the empty space, and select the NVIDIA Control Panel option from the context menu.
- Now, navigate to 3D settings > Manage 3D settings from the left panel.
- Next, go to the Global Settings tab, scroll down to the Shader Cache Size option and set it to Unlimited.
- After that, apply the changes and then relaunch the game to check whether or not the problem is fixed or not.
Hopefully, this will fix the problem for you.
Read: Battlefield 2042 FPS Drops and Stuttering Issues on PC.
How do I make Elden Ring run smoother?
You can do some tweaks to make Elden Ring run smoother, like keeping the texture quality to high or max, turning Anti Aliasing on, etc. Shadow Quality affects the performance of the game by decreasing the FPS. Therefore, keep this setting to medium or high. Keeping the Lightning Quality to medium also increases the game’s performance, But if you want the maximum performance, you can keep it low.