Are you experiencing DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2? Divinity Original Sin 2 is a popular role-playing video game developed by Larian Studios. While gamers have an amazing time playing the game, they also run into some errors here and there. One such error is DirectX Error which a lot of users have reportedly encountered. Some users have encountered the error while launching the game, while many got the error during the gameplay.
When triggered, you will get the following error message:
The game has encountered an unrecoverable DirectX error and will shut down.
This error may be triggered by reasons that are not related to Divinity: Original Sin 2.
Please try the following before restarting:
-Disable any screen recording software you may be running
-Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Description: Hardware device removed.
Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE HUNG
Now, if you are one of the affected users, this post is for you. In this post, we are going to discuss several fixes that will help you get rid of DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2. But, before that, let us try and understand the scenarios that might trigger this error.
What causes DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2?
Here are the potential causes that might trigger DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2:
- It could be caused because of out-of-date graphics driver. So, if your graphics drivers are not updated, update them to fix the error.
- Outdated Windows OS can be another reason for the same error. Hence, make sure you have installed all the pending Windows updates on your system.
- If you have set your display resolution other than the recommended one, it might cause an issue with the game and trigger the error at hand. So, change your display resolution to the recommended setting to resolve the error.
- Conflicting apps like screen recorders, liver streaming applications, etc., can also trigger the error. If the scenario is applicable, try closing such apps and see if the error is fixed.
- Overclocking can also cause the error at hand. So, try disabling overclocking software to fix the error.
- If the DirectX installation has gone corrupted, you will face the error at hand. In that case, you can reinstall the DirectX package to fix the error.
Now that you know the reason behind DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2, let us check out the fixes.
Fix DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2
Here are the fixes you can try to resolve DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2:
- Make sure your graphics driver is up-to-date.
- Update Windows.
- Try using the recommended resolution settings.
- Disable overclocking.
- Close conflicting apps.
- Disable Full-Screen Optimization and run the game in compatibility mode.
- Reinstall DirectX.
Divinity Original Sin 2 encountered an unrecoverable DirectX error
1] Make sure your graphics driver is up-to-date
You are likely to encounter DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2 if you are having outdated system drivers, especially graphics drivers. Hence, make sure you have updated your graphics as well as other device drivers to their latest versions.
The following methods can be used to update your graphics driver on Windows PC:
You can open your Settings app using the Win+I hotkey and go to the Windows Update > Advanced options section. After that, tap on the Optional Updates option and then download and install all the pending driver updates. If you want to use the Device Manager app, you can update graphics drivers through it.
Another method is to download and install the recent version of your graphics driver model from the device manufacturer’s official website. Apart from that, you can even try using a free third-party driver updater to automatically scan outdated device drivers and update them.
Once your graphics driver is updated, reopen the game and see if the error is resolved or not. If not, try the next potential fix.
2] Update Windows
You are likely to experience the error at hand if you are using an outdated Windows OS. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, update your Windows by installing all the pending updates. Press Win+I hotkey to open the Settings app and then go to the Windows Update tab. After that, click on the Check for updates button and let Windows download and install the pending Windows updates.
Once the updates are installed and your system is restarted, open the Divinity Original Sin 2 game and check if DirectX Error is fixed or not.
3] Try using the recommended resolution settings
If you have changed your default resolution settings, it could result in the error at hand. Hence, use the recommended resolution setting by resetting it to default and see if the error is fixed. Here’s how to do that:
- First of all, launch the Settings app by pressing the Windows+I hotkey.
- Now, go to the System > Display section and click on the Display resolution drop-down option.
- Next, select the recommended display resolution from the appeared options.
- Once the settings are applied, relaunch the game and check if the error is resolved or not.
If the problem still persists, move on to the next potential solution to fix the error.
4] Disable overclocking
If you have enabled overclocking on your system, try disabling it and then check if the error is resolved or not. Overclocking helps in enhancing the speed of your PC. But, in many instances, it can be problematic and can trigger stability issues with your games and apps. So, if the scenario is applicable, you try turning off overclocking and see if DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2 stops or not.
In case the error keeps popping up, try the next potential fix to resolve it.
5] Close conflicting apps
In a few instances, this error could be triggered due to conflicting apps like screen recorder apps, live-streaming apps, Xbox Game bar, Discord, etc. Hence, you can try closing all such apps and see if the error is resolved or not.
To close conflicting programs, open Task Manager using Ctrl+Shift+Esc. Then, from the Processes tab, select a process and click on the End Task button. You can close all the conflicting apps and then check if the error is fixed or not.
In case you still get DirectX Error in Divinity Original Sin 2, go ahead and try the next potential fix to resolve the error.
6] Disable Full-Screen Optimization and run the game in compatibility mode
The error might be triggered if there is a compatibility issue or if you have enabled fullscreen optimization for the game. So, if the scenario is applicable, try disabling Full-Screen Optimization and run the game in compatibility mode to fix the error. Here’s how to do that:
- Firstly, open the Steam client, go to LIBRARY, and right-click the Divinity Original Sin 2 game.
- Now, select the Properties option, move to the Local Files tab, and tap on Browse Local Files to open the game’s installation directory.
- Next, right-click on the game’s executable file and press the Properties option.
- After that, go to the Compatibility tab, enable the Run this program in compatibility mode for: checkbox, and select a Windows version.
- Then, check the option called Disable fullscreen optimizations and press Apply > OK to save changes.
You can now try relaunching the game and see if the error is fixed.
7] Reinstall DirectX
If none of the above solutions works for you, try reinstalling the DirectX package to fix the error. For that, you will have to uninstall DirectX and then install it again. You can download the latest version of DirectX from the Microsoft Download Center. After that, install the package on your system and reboot your system. Then, try relaunching the game and hopefully, the error will be fixed now.
What causes DirectX error?
DirectX error like DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error is often caused due to outdated graphics. Other than that, it can also be caused due to your display settings, corrupted installation files, etc. So, to fix the error, you can try rebooting your computer, checking for Windows updates, checking the minimum requirements, restarting the game, checking Display scaling settings, or reinstalling the game or application. These are some basic troubleshooting methods. If the error still persists, you can try disabling hardware monitoring software, updating or reinstalling GPU drivers, deleting games’ cache files, or running DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
How do I fix DirectX error?
If you are facing the DirectX error on Divinity Original Sin 2, update your graphic driver to its latest version. Apart from that, update your Windows OS, use the recommended display resolution, turn off overclocking software, or close screen recorders and other conflicting apps to fix the error. If nothing works, you can try uninstalling and then reinstalling the DirectX package. We have discussed these fixes in detail which you can check out below.