One of the most preferred way to install Windows 8 or any other operating system is to create a bootable USB/flash/pen drive. Why? Many low-configuration laptops and netbooks favor portability and they are therefore dumping the optical drive. Unlike CDs, the data contained on the booting device can be changed and additional data can be stored on the same device. Moreover, the chances of failed installation are lower.
Windows 8 USB Installer Maker is one utility that is written for Windows 8 which helps you build a Windows 8 installer using your USB pen drive and the DVD ISO image. In short, the tool allows you to create a copy of your Windows 8 ISO file on a USB flash drive.
One just needs to download the ISO file and then run the Windows 8 USB Installer Maker tool. After that, Windows 8 can be directly installed from the USB flash drive. So let’s begin the process of installing Windows 8 using a flash USB drive/flash drive/pen drive.
Install Windows 8 using a USB Flash drive
- The ISO image for Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Get it from here.
- USB drive/pen drive (8GB preferred)
- Windows 8 USB Installer Maker.
Create Bootable Windows 8 USB Flash Drive
1. Download Windows 8 USB Installer Maker and extract its contents onto your computer.
2. Next, connect your USB drive properly and make sure it is recognized by your Windows.
3. Right-click on the Windows 8 USB Installer Maker and choose ‘Run as administrator’.
4. A window will pop-up on your computer screen:
5. Select your USB drive and make sure it has:
- NTFS file system format
- At least 4GB of capacity
6. Next, browse for the Windows 8 bootable ISO Image – already downloaded on your system.
7. Once done, check ‘Format drive’ option. Please note that the step becomes mandatory, if you do not have a NTFS formatted drive or if it is FAT 32, and also if you have less free space, than what is required.
8. Now, click on the ‘Create’ button to format your drive. The tool will begin formatting the USB drive and copy all the Windows installation files to it to make the USB drive bootable. The process may take few minutes, depending on the speed of your USB drive.
At some point the utility will display a‘HUNG’ or ‘UNRESPONSIVE’ message. Ignore the message. However, ensure that the USB drive is in activity. This is essential.
Lastly, when the process is complete you will see a confirmation message as shown in the screenshot below.
You will also notice in the log text the following description
‘Successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode.’ If not, click the ‘Fix USB boot’ button and check again.
In this way you can create a copy of Windows 8 ISO file on your USB drive using Windows 8 USB Installer maker.
Now, Reboot your computer.
Also, modify the BIOS. The Boot order should be:
- USB first
- CD drive second and
- Hard drive as third.
Windows 8 USB Installer Maker download
You can download USB Installer Maker from here. The site also gives you on excellent walk-through, from where these images have been sourced.