If the Xbox app is not opening or working properly on your Windows 11/10 PC, then this post is sure to help you. Several users have reported experiencing issues with the Xbox app on their computers. As per some users, the Xbox app just won’t launch, while many users said that the app is not working as it should. Users are having trouble while launching a game or using a specific function in the app.
Now, a lot of factors can be responsible for why you can’t open your Xbox app on Windows 11/10. It can happen if your Windows OS or the Xbox app is outdated. Also, if there is some corrupted data in the app, it might cause issues in opening the app or interrupt Xbox’s working. Besides that, incorrect date & time settings, issues with Xbox services, corrupted Store cache, Xbox server issues, etc., can also lead to this problem.
If you are also experiencing the same problem where the Xbox app is not launching or performing correctly, this guide will help you out. You can use the mentioned fixes and troubleshoot issues related to the working of your Xbox app.
Xbox app not opening or working on Windows 11/10
Here are the methods you can use if the Xbox app is not opening or working on your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Check if Xbox servers are down.
- Set the correct date & time on your PC.
- Change your region.
- Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.
- Update Windows to its latest build.
- Restart Xbox Gaming Services.
- Clear Microsoft Store Cache.
- Turn off your VPN.
- Update the Xbox app.
- Repair or Reset your Xbox app.
1] Check if Xbox servers are down
First of all, check the server status of Xbox services and make sure the services are not down. Just open the Xbox Status page in your web browser and see whether or not all Xbox services are up and running. If Xbox is facing an outage or there is some maintenance work going on, the Xbox app or its certain features won’t work properly on your PC. Hence, ensure that the Xbox services are not down at the moment. However, if there is no server issue at the end of Xbox, move on to the next fix to resolve the issue.
2] Set the correct date & time on your PC
This problem can occur if you have set an incorrect date and time on your system. As we know, the wrong time settings trigger various issues with default apps like Xbox. Hence, you must ensure that the correct date and time are set on your computer. Here are the steps to do that:
- First, press Win+I to launch the Settings app and navigate to the Time & language tab.
- After that, tap on the Date & time option present on the right-side panel.
- Next, you will see two options called Set time automatically and Set time zone automatically; enable the toggles associated with these options.
- Now, try opening the Xbox app and see if the problem is resolved or not.
If you have set the correct date and time but the problem is still the same, move on to the next fix.
3] Change your region
Try changing your region and then check if you can launch the Xbox app properly or not. Some affected users were able to run the app properly after changing their regions. Hence, you can try doing the same and see if it works. Follow the below steps to change your region on Windows 11/10:
- First, open the Settings app and click on the Time & language tab.
- Now, tap on the Language & region option, and from the Country or region drop-down options, choose a different region than the current one.
- After that, open Xbox and see if it works fine or not.
4] Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter
In many cases, Windows inbuilt troubleshooters help in getting rid of various issues on your PC. You can try running the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter to fix the problems associated with the Xbox app. Here are the steps to do that:
- Firstly, launch the Settings app and click on the System > Troubleshoot option.
- Now, press the Other troubleshooters option and locate the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter under the Others section.
- After that, click on the Run button available for the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter. It will address the issues related to Microsoft Store and its apps, and then apply a suitable fix to resolve the issues.
- Once done, open the Xbox app and check if it launches and works correctly or not.
If the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter fails to resolve the problem, there must be some underlying reason for the issue at hand. So, you can apply some other fix to resolve it.
5] Update Windows to its latest build
If you want to avoid issues with your Microsoft Store apps and other software, it is recommended to keep your OS up-to-date. Microsoft keeps launching new Windows updates to fix existing issues, improve application stability, and enhance the overall performance of your computer. So, install all pending Windows updates by launching Settings, navigating to Windows Updates, and pressing the Check for updates button. Once Windows is updated, you should not face this issue. If you do, move on to the next fix.
6] Restart Xbox Gaming Services
The Xbox Gaming Services on your system might be stuck in a limbo state which is why the Xbox might not be working properly. Hence, it is recommended to restart the Services related to Xbox and then check if the problem is resolved. Here are steps to do that:
- First, type “Services” in the Start menu search box and then click on the Services app.
- In the Services window, locate Gaming Services, right-click on it, and select the Restart option.
- Next, right-click on Gaming Services and press the Properties option.
- After that, in the Properties window, set the Startup type option to Automatic.
- Now, repeat steps (2), (3), and (4) for Xbox Accessory Management, Xbox Live Auth Manager, and other Xbox-related services.
- Finally, you can try launching the Xbox app and see if it works correctly or not.
7] Clear Microsoft Store Cache
The “Xbox app not opening or working” problem could very well be facilitated due to a corrupted Microsoft Store cache. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, reset the Microsoft Store cache and check if the problem is gone or not.
To clear the Microsoft Store cache, you can follow the below steps:
- First, type WSReset in the Start menu search box.
- Now, click on the WSReset command to run it. It will then clear all the cache associated with Microsoft Store.
- You can now try launching the Xbox app and check if it works fine or not.
8] Turn off your VPN
If you are using a VPN to run some region-restricted Xbox services like PC Game Pass, Cloud gaming, etc., it is possible the app might not open or run properly. Hence, you will be required to disable VPN to fix the problem. Do that and see if the issue is resolved.
Read: Xbox app not downloading or installing on Windows PC
9] Update the Xbox app
In case your Xbox app is outdated, you are likely to experience performance issues with the app. With new updates, previous bugs and issues are fixed, and new functionalities are added to the app. Hence. update your app right away and then check if the problem is fixed or not.
You can update the Xbox app like any other Microsoft Store app. Open your Microsoft Store and go to the Library tab from the left-side pane. Now, click on the Get updates button and let Microsoft Store update all your outdated Store apps. Once done, you can try opening the Xbox app and see if the problem is resolved.
10] Repair or Reset your Xbox app
If the above solutions didn’t work, it is possible that there is some corruption in the app which is why it is not opening or working. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, you can repair or reset the Xbox app and then launch it to check if the issues are resolved or not. You can follow the below steps to do that:
- First, launch the Settings app using the Win+I key combination and move to the Apps tab.
- After that, click on the Installed apps option, scroll down to the Xbox app, and tap on the three-dot menu button linked with it.
- Now, select Advanced options and on the next page, navigate to the Reset section.
- Next, press the Repair button and let Windows repair the Xbox app.
- When done, restart your computer and try opening the Xbox app to see if the problem is resolved or not.
- If it does not help, use the Reset option.
Does Xbox app work on Windows 11?
Yes, the Xbox app works on the latest Windows 11 and comes preinstalled in it. This app converts your computer into Xbox One console and lets you play your games effortlessly. It lets you download or purchase the games available for Xbox One consoles on your PC and play them without a console. In case the app is missing from your computer, you can install it from Microsoft Store.
How do you fix This app cannot be opened in Windows 11?
To fix the “This app can’t open” error on Windows 11, make sure that the problematic app is not blocked on your computer using Group Policy and Registry Editor. Apart from that, enable User Account Control (UAC), run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter, reset your app, clear Microsoft Store Cache, perform SFC and DISM scans, or reinstall the app to fix the error. If nothing fixes this error for you, consider resetting your PC.