If you receive This app can’t open error when opening Photos, Xbox Game Bar, Calculator, Skype, or any Microsoft Store UWP app on Windows 10, then this post will help you resolve the issue. The error message varies and may ask you to contact your administrator about repairing or reinstalling, refreshing Windows 10 PC, the need for an admin account to open the app and ask you to check on the Microsoft Store.
This app can’t open error on Windows 10
Here is the list of solutions that can help you to open the application on Windows. Some of them will need admin access, so its best that you have an admin account or ask someone to do this for you.
- Check if the app is blocked
- Turn On User Account Control (UAC)
- Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
- Reset the App
- Clear Windows Store Cache
- Reinstall App
- DISM and SFC Command
- Reset PC
Some of the offers solutions can be extreme. Only use it when there is no other way, and using the application is crucial.
1] Check if the app is blocked
Some other administrators might have blocked access to the program on this PC. If you also have an admin account, then you check block programs through Group Policy and Registry Editor.
- Open Group Policy Editor by typing gpedit.msc in the Run prompt (Win + R) followed by pressing the Enter key
- Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates and then select System.
- Locate the policy which says—Don’t run specified Windows applications.
- Double click to open, and check under the list of disallowed apps if your application is available.
- If it’s disabled, then you can ignore it.
- Open Registry Editor by typing Regedit in the Run prompt (Win+R) followed by pressing the Enter key
- Navigate to the following path
- Check if you have a DWORD entry with name DisallowRun
- If yes, then double click to open it, and set the value as 0 to disable any app blocking.
- You can further investigate by expanding the explorer folder. If there is a folder with the name DisallowRun, then expand it.
- Here you should have one or more entries indicate the list of apps blocked.
2] Turn On User Account Control (UAC)
UAC ensures that no malware or virus can execute something only admins can do. It applies to the overall system and all the apps. If any app tires to change system settings, it will be blocked from opening. In case it turned off on your computer, you should enable it.
- Type UAC in the Start menu search
- Click on Change User Account Control settings in the result
- Change the slider to the second level from the top where you get notified when apps try to change
Relaunch the app causing the problem, and you may receive a prompt.
Related post: This app can’t open – Office Word error.
3] Run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
Apps like Photos, Xbox Game Bar, Calculator are available in the Microsoft Store app as well. You can fix them by running the troubleshooter.
- Open Settings ( Win + I)
- Navigate to Update & Security > Troubleshoot
- Locate, and open Windows Store Apps
- Click on Run the Troubleshooter button to start the wizard.
Once complete, relaunch the app again and check the issue has been resolved.
4] Reset and Repair the App
While you can reinstall any application, but apps from the store can be reset if they offer the options.
- Go to Settings > Apps, and select the app, and click on Advanced Options.
- Here you can choose to Reset or Repair the app by clicking on the respective button.
- While repair will not change anything, Reset will make you set up the application again.
5] Clear Windows Store Cache
Windows Store Cache makes sure the browsing experience speeds up. However, at times, an application may need an update, but the cache is restricting it. You can clear Windows Store Cache with WSReset.exe. Find complete details in the detailed post on resetting store cache.
6] Reinstall App
Do note that if you plan to uninstall these apps, it may not be possible unless forced using PowerShell Commands. So once you uninstall them using it, you will need to reinstall from the Microsoft Store app.
7] DISM and SFC Command
DISM and SFC Commands can help you resolve issues related to file corruption. They repair files or system image corruptions. While SFC protects registry keys and folders as well as critical system files, DISM is useful to fix Windows component store corruption or if a Windows image becomes unserviceable.
8] Reset PC
Resetting a PC is a bit extreme and should be only be exercised when you don’t have any option left, and this app should be working. It can be because of incompatibility or app causing the issue on the PC and is being restricted. We suggest using this option only where you are left with nothing. It would be best to connect with Microsoft or your IT team before executing this.
Follow out guide on how you can Reset the PC if that’s what you are left with.
I hope the post was easy to follow, and you were to launch the app, which gave an error — This app can’t open.
Similar ‘This app can’t open’ errors for: