If you are an Internet Explorer user, you may at times face some problems. You should know how to repair Internet Explorer to avoid wastage of time searching for solutions for different problems on the Internet or otherwise.
The problems can be as diverse as:
- Internet Explorer freezes, crashes or hangs
- Internet Explorer does not open links
- Internet Explorer Troubleshooter Fix It
- IE cannot display the webpage
- Internet Explorer error messages on page
- Download Manager is missing in Internet Explorer
- Internet Explorer opens and closes immediately
- Internet Explorer does not save History Settings
This list is not comprehensive, but indicative. This does not mean Internet Explorer is a bad browser. These things happen with other browsers too. In most cases, the steps to repair Internet Explorer are the same, and IE is fixed when you find out which add-on is giving problems. This also means in most cases, it is one or more add-on that creates the problem.
Find Out Problematic Add-On
Most programs add their own add-ons to Internet Explorer. When you install programs such as Nero or ZoneAlarm, they install their own toolbars and attempt to change the homepage. Programs like Adobe and HP printer drivers too, add their own IE helpers. To handle real-time changes in IE helpers or add-ons, I recommend using WinPatrol.
Repair Internet Explorer
To repair Internet Explorer, first of all you need to see if it is some add-on creating problem. To check out the same, run Internet Explorer without any add-ons and see the performance. If it runs fine, the problem is some add-on.
To run Internet Explorer without add-ons:
- Click Start Menu
- Click All Programs
- Click Accessories
- Click System Tools
- Click Internet Explorer Without add-ons
To isolate the add-on that is creating a problem:
- Press ALT + T to open the Tools menu
- Select Manage Add-ons
- When the Manage Add-ons window appears, disable all the toolbars and other add-ons
- Enable one add-on
- Click OK to close the Manage Add-on Dialog Box
- Test the performance of IE
- If it gives a problem, the add-on you just enabled is the culprit.
- If it does not give any problem, keep on enabling and checking IE performance until you find the one giving you the problem
- When you find the problematic add-on, simply disable or remove it from IE.
If you enabled all add-ons one by one and the problem is still there, some setting must have been changed in the Internet Options.
This is where you will need to reset Internet Explorer.
Reset Internet Explorer
To reset the Internet Explorer:
- Open Control Panel
- Open Internet Options
- Go to the Advanced Tab
- Click on the Reset Button
- Confirm by clicking OK
- After the reset, reopen Internet Explorer and see if the problem is gone.
If the problem is still there, you will need to reinstall Internet Explorer. But before you do so, try using our Fix IE utility or the Internet Explorer Troubleshooter and see if it helps you.
This explains how to repair Internet Explorer for common problems. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below.
PS: If you are not an Internet Explorer user, you might want to check these links instead!