This post will help you if your HP laptop’s internal microphone is not working. There could be any reason why you are facing this issue. For example, there might be outdated audio drivers on your laptop, the laptop doesn’t recognize your internal microphone, etc. You must have already tried restarting your laptop multiple times and a few other options but the problem would still be there. In such a case, the solutions covered in this post might work.
An internal microphone in an HP laptop or some other laptop is a built-in microphone located near the webcam. Though usually, it works fine, sometimes users find that their internal microphone is not working while recording or using it with some apps. We will try to help you solve this problem.
HP laptop internal microphone not working on Windows 11/10
Here is a list of solutions that might help when the internal microphone of your HP laptop doesn’t work:
- Check microphone mute and volume settings
- Set your internal microphone as the default audio device
- Disable Audio Enhancements
- Check your internal microphone status
- Run Recording Audio Troubleshooter
- Update Audio Drivers.
Let’s check these solutions one by one.
1] Check microphone mute and volume settings
Check if your internal microphone is muted or the volume is too low which makes you think it is not working or there is a problem with it. In that case, unmute it, and adjust its volume settings. For this, follow these steps:
- First of all, open Sound settings on your Windows 11/10 laptop
- In Sound settings, go to the Recordings tab
- Select your internal microphone for which you are having this issue from the recording device list present in that tab
- Click on the Properties button to open the Microphone Properties box
- In that box, go to the Levels tab
- Check if your microphone is muted. If yes, unmute it by clicking on the Volume icon
- Move the slider to increase the volume of the microphone
- Also, set the Microphone boost level to +10.0 dB or higher level
- Press the OK button to close the Microphone Properties box
- Press the OK button to close the Sound settings window.
This might work.
Read: USB microphone not working on Windows
2] Set your internal microphone as the default audio device
This might be the case that when you try to use your microphone with some app, it is not able to work with it because some other audio device is set as the default audio device. In that case, you should set your microphone as the default audio device. Here are the steps to do that:
- If you are using Windows 10 laptop, type sound in the Search box, and press Enter key to open the Sound settings. If you are using Windows 11 laptop, then type sound in the Search box, and press the Enter key. This will open the Settings app of Windows 11 with the Sound settings page. After that, scroll down that page, and click on the More sound settings option to open the Sound settings window
- Access the Recording tab in the Sound settings box
- Select the Microphone for which you want to fix the issue
- Click on the Set Default button
- Press the OK button.
Read: Free mic testing software and online tools
3] Disable Audio Enhancements
Sometimes, turning off or disabling the audio enhancements feature of Windows 11/10 OS fixes different microphone issues. This might be helpful in this problem also. Let’s check how to disable audio enhancements in Windows 11 and Windows 10.
- Use Win+I hotkey to open the Settings app. It will open with the System category
- Click on the Sound page available in the right-section of that category
- Access the Input section. There, expand the Choose a device for speaking or recording menu
- Select the microphone for which you need to fix the problem
- After selecting it, click on the right-part of that microphone to access its properties
- In the Audio enhancements option, click on the available drop-down menu
- Select the Off option.
Now let’s check the steps for Windows 10.
- Click on the Search box
- Type sound and press Enter to open the Sound settings
- Click on the internal microphone
- Click on the Properties button. This will open the Microphone Properties box
- There, go to the Enhancements tab
- Select Disable all sound effects option
- Hit the OK button to close the Microphone Properties box
- Now, press the OK button to close the Sound settings window.
Read: Mic not working in Windows 11/10
4] Check your internal microphone status
There are chances that your Windows 11/10 laptop is not able to recognize your microphone because it is either disabled or disconnected. So, if this is the case, then the steps to resolve this issue are:
- Open Run Command box using Win+R hotkey
mmsys.cplin the text field
- Hit the Enter key to open the Sound settings window
- Switch to the Recording tab
- In an empty area under the Recording tab, right-click, and select the Show Disabled Devices option and the Show Disconnected Devices option
- Now your microphone should appear in the list. After that, you may see an encircled down arrow for your microphone which means the microphone is disabled. To enable it, right-click on it, and select the Enable option. Now, it should show a green tick mark that indicates that the microphone is enabled
- Finally, test the microphone by speaking to it. If there are green bars visible in the stack available just next to your microphone, that means it is working now
- Press the OK button.
Your problem should be gone now.
Read: How to Boost or Increase Microphone Volume in Windows
5] Run Recording Audio Troubleshooter
Windows 11/10 OS comes with a built-in Recording Audio troubleshooter that can help you fix different problems related to the same. You can try this built-in solution and this might solve this internal microphone issue for your HP laptop. This Recording Audio troubleshooter checks for the audio device driver, audio service status, etc., and provides the fixes accordingly. Let’s see how to run the Recording Audio troubleshooter in Windows 11 and Windows 10 separately.
- Press Win+I hotkey. This will open the Settings app with the System category
- Scroll down to the right section and select the Troubleshoot page
- Under Options, click on the Other troubleshooters option
- The list of all the troubleshooters will visible. Scroll down to access the Recording Audio troubleshooter
- Hit the Run button available for that troubleshooter
- Now, it will start the process of checking different items. Once the process is completed, you need to select Microphone for troubleshooting.
After that, it will provide the fixes based on the problems found by the troubleshooter, and help you fix those issues.
- Click on the Start button
- Select Settings
- Click on the Update & Security category available in the Settings app
- Click on the Troubleshoot page present on the left section
- On the right-hand section, click on the Additional troubleshooters option
- Access and click on the Recording Audio option
- Hit the Run the troubleshooter button
- Select the device (Microphone in this case) for troubleshooting.
Now let the troubleshooter detect the problems and then try the fixes provided by it.
Read: Internal Microphone is missing in Windows 11/10
6] Update Audio Drivers
Whether it is about audio drivers or some other drivers, in many cases, outdated drivers cause various problems. So, it is good to update device drivers from time to time. Thankfully, there are multiple ways to update drivers, including audio drivers like using the Optional Updates section present under Windows Update, third-party driver updater software, etc. So, try to update your audio drivers and this might solve this problem of yours.
You can also download audio drivers for your HP laptop directly from the manufacturer’s website. Just access the official website, provide the serial number of your laptop in the required field, select your laptop from the result, and look for the audio driver section. There you will get the download links for different versions of your Windows OS. Just download the compatible driver and install it, and restart your laptop.
Hope something will work.
How do I fix the internal microphone on my HP laptop?
If the internal microphone on your HP laptop is not working on Windows 11/10 OS, then you can try some fixes like:
- Update the audio drivers
- Unmute the microphone (if muted) and increase its volume label
- Check the status of the microphone and see if it is disabled. If yes, enable it
- Use Windows built-in Recording Audio Troubleshooter
- Set internal microphone status to default.
All such solutions with step-by-step instructions are covered in this post.
Why my internal microphone is not working?
There is not a specific reason that can explain exactly why the internal microphone of your laptop or computer is not working. It could happen because of outdated audio drivers, the internal microphone is disabled or inactive, apps don’t have access to your internal microphone, probably you have muted the microphone accidentally, etc.
Whatever may be the cause, there are some solutions or fixes that might be helping resolve this issue. For example, you can unmute the microphone using the Sound settings, provide apps access to the microphone using the Settings app of Windows 11/10, disable audio enhancements, run the Recording Audio troubleshooter, and more.
Read next: Fix Sound and Audio problems and issues in Windows 11/10.