If GTFO keeps crashing or freezing on your Windows PC, this post will help you. GTFO is a popular survival horror first-person shooter game that is played by millions of gaming enthusiasts. While people love playing this game, a lot of users reported experiencing performance issues in GTFO on their PCs. For some users, the game keeps on crashing in the middle of gameplay. While many users experience crashes when they try launching GTFO. The game even freezes and becomes unresponsive and unplayable. Now, if you are one of the affected users, you can follow this guide and run GTFO without any issues.
Why does GTFO keep crashing or freezing on PC?
There can be numerous factors that can cause the GTFO game to crash or freeze. Here are the potential scenarios:
- The lack of administrator privileges to run GTFO on your PC can cause crashing and freezing issues. So, if the scenario is applicable, you can launch the game as an administrator to fix the problem.
- If GTFO’s game files are infected or broken, the game won’t perform as intended and is likely to crash or freeze. Hence, you can try verifying the integrity of the game files to resolve the issue.
- Another reason for the GTFO game to crash is the outdated graphics driver. Your graphics driver needs to be up-to-date in order to avoid crashes and freezing issues in the game. So, update your graphics driver to its most recent version.
- If you have enabled overclocking on your PC, it might result in game crashes. In that case, you can stop overclocking to fix the problem.
- Certain in-game graphics settings can also cause the game to crash. Hence, you can try modifying your graphics configurations in the game accordingly to resolve the problem.
- Antivirus interference can be another reason for the same issue. So, disable your antivirus and check if you are able to play the GTFO game smoothly or not.
- In-game overlays can also cause GTFO to crash. Hence, disable overlays to fix the issue.
- A corrupted installation of the game will cause the problem at hand. So, you can reinstall the game to resolve the problem at hand.
There can be some other underlying reasons for the problem at hand. You can use a suitable fix based on the scenario that applies to you. Before we mention the fixes, here are recommended system requirements to play the GTFO game that you can check.
Recommended System Requirements for GTFO:
- OS: Windows 10 64-Bit or later
- Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K or AMD equivalent
- RAM: 16 GB RAM
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD equivalent
- DirectX: Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 15 GB available space
If your computer fulfills the above system requirements but GTFO keeps on crashing or freezing, move ahead and use the below solutions.
GTFO keeps crashing or freezing on Windows PC
Here are the solutions that you can use if the GTFO game keeps crashing or freezing on your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Launch GTFO with administrator rights.
- Verify the integrity of the game files of GTFO.
- Update your graphics drivers to the latest version.
- Stop overclocking (if applicable).
- Adjust your in-game settings.
- Disable in-game overlay on Steam.
- Turn off your antivirus.
- Reinstall GTFO.
1] Launch GTFO with administrator rights
First, you should relaunch the game as an administrator and see if the problem is fixed. Sometimes, missing administrator rights result in the crashing of apps and games. The GTFO game might be lacking the required administrator permissions to run and thus, it keeps on crashing on your PC. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, you should be able to fix the problem by running the game as an administrator. For that, simply right-click on the executable file and select the Run as administrator option from the context menu.
If the issue is resolved, you make sure that GTFO always runs with administrator privileges using the below steps:
- Firstly, locate the main executable file of GTFO on your system and right-click on it. If you don’t know the exact location of GTFO, open Steam, go to LIBRARY, right-click on GTFO, select Properties, move to the LOCAL FILES tab, and click on the Browse Local Files button to open its installation directory.
- Next, from the appeared context menu, choose the Properties option.
- Now, move to the Compatibility tab and tick the checkbox called Run this program as an administrator.
- After that, press the Apply > OK button to save changes.
- GTFO will now be launched as an administrator always.
If this method doesn’t fix the problem for you, move on to the next solution to fix the issue at hand.
2] Verify the integrity of the game files of GTFO
The next thing you can do is verify and repair your game files. If GTFO has some corrupted or missing game files, it will falter on your PC and will keep on crashing or freezing. In short, broken game files will lead to the malfunction of the game. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, simply verify the integrity of the game files of GTFO to fix the issue.
Steam provides a dedicated option to verify game files. Here’s how to use it:
- First, launch the Steam app and move to Library where you can find all your installed and purchased games.
- Next, right-click on the GTFO game title and press the Properties option from the appeared options.
- Now, you can move to the Local Files tab and click on the Verify Integrity of Game Files button to let Steam verify and repair your game files.
- Once done, you can reopen your game and see if it works fine or not.
In case the GTFO game still continues to crash or freeze, you need to use some other solution to fix the issue. So, move on to the next potential fix.
3] Update your graphics drivers to the latest version
We have continuously been stressing the fact that how important graphics drivers are for having a smooth gaming experience on a computer. If you have an outdated version of graphics drivers, it will cause performance issues in graphics-oriented apps and video games. So, install the latest version of graphics drivers and check if the problem is fixed.
To update graphics drivers, use the below steps:
- Press Win+I to launch the Settings app.
- Navigate to the Windows Update > Advanced options section.
- Click on the Optional Updates option.
- Download & install all the pending device driver updates.
The Device Manager app can also be used for the same. Likewise, you can also visit the official website of the device manufacturer and download the latest version of your graphics driver. Or, there are multiple free third-party driver updaters, so use any of them to automatically detect and update out-of-date device drivers.
Once graphics driver updates are installed, reboot your computer and launch GTFO to check if it has stopped crashing or freezing. If not, move on to the next potential solution.
4] Stop overclocking (if applicable)
Overclocking helps in enhancing CPU and GPU performance, especially for video games and video editing apps. But, it can also cause stability issues with apps and games in many instances. Hence, it is better to disable overclocking and then play the game. If overclocking was causing GTFO to crash, the problem will be fixed. However, if this scenario doesn’t apply to you, move on to the next potential solution to fix the problem.
5] Adjust your in-game settings
Some in-game graphics settings can also cause game crashes in GTFO. Many affected users have confirmed that changing their in-game graphics settings has helped them mitigate the crashing and freezing issues in the GTFO game. So, you can also try doing the same and see if the problem is fixed. You can also play with the graphics settings and check what works well for you.
Here’s how you can change in-game graphics settings in GTFO:
- First, open GTFO and access its settings menu.
- Now, go to the Video tab inside the Settings window and change the following settings:
Resolution: Your native screen resolution
Vertical Sync: Disabled
and run GTFO in Windowed Borderless
- Once done, save settings and exit the window.
- Finally, try playing GTFO to check whether it still crashes/ freezes or not.
You can also try changing some other graphics settings and see what settings help you run the game smoothly. However, if the problem still occurs, use the next potential fix to resolve GTFO’s crashes and freezing issues.
6] Disable in-game overlay on Steam
If you have enabled in-game overlay on Steam, disable it and see if the problem is gone. As per various reports, in-game overlays cause the game to freeze and become unresponsive. Hence, you disable Steam overlay using the below steps:
- Firstly, open your Steam client and go to LIBRARY.
- Now, right-click on the GTFO game title and tap on the Properties option.
- From the GENERAL section, untick the checkbox called Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game.
You can also disable the in-game overlay for all the games on Steam and see if the problem is fixed. Here’s how:
- Firstly, open Steam and click on the Steam > Settings option.
- Now, move to the In-Game tab and uncheck the Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game option.
If the problem is resolved, great. But, in case the game still crashes or freezes, move ahead and use the next potential fix.
7] Turn off your antivirus
Third-party antiviruses are known to cause interruptions in games like GTFO on Windows. As a result, the game crashes or freezes and becomes unplayable. To check if the antivirus is causing interference in GTFO, simply disable your antivirus and then open GTFO. If you are able to play it smoothly, you can be sure that the issue was caused because of your antivirus.
Now, you might not want to disable your antivirus while playing an online game as it may invite viruses and malware to your system. So, to tackle the issue, you can add the main executable file of GTFO to the Exception/ Exclusion or Whitelist of your antivirus. Just open the Settings on your antivirus program and locate the whitelist/ exception/ exclusion settings. After that, add the game executable to the list and then relaunch the game to play it without any issues.
8] Reinstall GTFO
If all the above solutions fail, the last resort is to reinstall the game itself. The installation files of GTFO might be corrupted or damaged, or infected by viruses. And thus, the game is malfunctioning and keeps on crashing or freezing on your computer. Hence, you can remove the game from your computer and then reinstall a clean copy of the game.
To reinstall GTFO on Windows 11/10, follow the below procedure:
- First, open the Steam app and go to LIBRARY.
- Now, right-click on the GTFO game, and from the appeared context menu, select the Manage > Uninstall option.
- Follow the prompted instructions on your screen and complete the uninstallation.
- Once done, open File Explorer using Win+E and remove the following folders at the given location:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\LocalLow\10 Chambers Collective\ C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Appdata\Local\Temp\10 Chambers Collective\
- After that, reboot your computer and reinstall the GTFO game on Steam.
- Finally, open GTFO and hopefully, it will run smoothly without crashes and freezing issues.
Hopefully, this helps.
Why is my game constantly crashing?
A lot of factors are responsible for game crashes on a computer. It could be caused due to outdated graphics drivers, corrupted game files, outdated Windows, virus infection, and some other reasons. Also, if your PC doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements for the game, it will crash.
How can I make my GTFO run better?
To make GTFO run smoother on your PC, you can customize your graphics card settings accordingly. Apart from that, modify your PC’s power plan and set it to the Best performance mode. You can also update your game, disable background recording and Xbox Game Bar, and update your graphics drivers to run GTFO better. You can also follow the methods we have mentioned in this post to run GTFO smoothly.