Here is a full guide on how you can fix the slow download speed problem on Origin. The Origin desktop client allows Windows users to download games and other game-related content from Electronic Arts. However, some users have reported experiencing slow download speed on Origin. As reported by them, games and updates take forever to download. It can be frustrating seeing your games download so slow. Now, if you are one of those dealing with the same problem, this post is for you. You can follow the fixes that we have mentioned here to get rid of the problem.
How do I increase Origin download speed?
To increase Origin download speed, make sure you are connected to a good speed and stable internet connection. Other than that, power cycle your networking device, run Origin with admin rights, update your network driver, etc. You can even try starting Origin in R&D mode which reportedly provides better download speed. We have discussed all these methods in detail; so checkout below.
Fix Origin slow download speed
Here are the methods that you can try to fix the problem of slow download speeds in Origin:
- Check your internet connection.
- Perform a power cycle on your router.
- Make sure your network adapter driver is updated.
- Run Origin as an administrator.
- Troubleshoot in a clean boot state.
- Restart Origin in R&D mode.
- Delete the Origin cache file.
- Reinstall Origin.
1] Check your internet connection
It requires you to be connected to a stable internet to download games and content on the Origin client. So, do check your internet connection and make sure you are not dealing with an internet connectivity issue.
If there are some WiFi connectivity issues, you can try troubleshooting them. Also, ensure that your internet’s speed is good enough to download content on Origin. Test your internet speed and if it is slow, you will have to contact your ISP or upgrade your internet plan. Apart from that, you can also try disconnecting multiple other devices connected to the same network so that your primary device can utilize full bandwidth.
In case all is good with your internet, try the next potential fix to resolve the problem.
2] Perform a power cycle on your router
The network problem might be caused due to corrupted or bad router cache which is slowing down download speed on Origin. If the scenario applies, you can power cycle your router or modem to clear the router cache. To do that, you can follow the below steps:
- Firstly, press the power button on your router to shut it off.
- Now, unplug the device from the main switch and wait for at least 30 seconds to let it completely turn off.
- Next, plug in your router and restart it.
- After that, reconnect to the internet and open Origin. See if it helps in improving the download speed.
3] Make sure your network adapter driver is updated
If you continue to have the same issue, the corrupted or outdated network driver can be at fault. So, you need to ensure that your network adapter driver is up-to-date. You update network drivers using the following methods:
- Go to the Settings > Windows Update section and install updates for the network driver using Optional Updates.
- Download the latest network drivers from the official website of the device manufacturer.
- Use Device Manager in order to update the network adapter driver.
When done updating your network drivers, open the Origin client and see if the download speed is better or not.
4] Run Origin as an administrator
The problem might be caused if Origin lacks administrator privilege to utilize all its functions properly. So, in that case, running the Origin client as an administrator will help you fix the issue. Simply go to the Origin icon on the desktop and right-click on it. Then, select the Run as administrator option to launch it with admin rights.
If this resolves the slow download speed issue, you will have to launch Origin as an administrator every time you want to use it. To ease up the task for you, you can make Origin always run with admin privilege. For that, you can follow the below steps:
- Firstly, move to Origin’s shortcut on the desktop, right-click on it, and select the Properties option.
- Now, go to the Compatibility tab and tick the Run this program as an administrator checkbox.
- After that, press the Apply > OK button to save changes.
- Then, relaunch Origin and see if the problem is fixed or not.
In case you still deal with the same slow download speed issue on Origin, move down to the next potential fix to resolve it.
5] Troubleshoot in a clean boot state
The slow download speed and other performance issues with the Origin client might be caused due to conflicts or interference by background applications (e.g., Steam). If the scenario is applicable, you should be able to fix the problem by performing a clean boot. To do that, follow the below steps:
- First of all, press the Windows logo key + R key combination to evoke the Run dialog box.
- Now, type msconfig in the Open box and then press the Enter button to open up the System Configuration window.
- Next, move to the Services tab and tick the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox, and then press the Disable all button.
- After that, go to the Startup tab and tap on Open Task Manager.
- Then, in Task Manager, disable all the startup programs.
- Finally, go back to the System Configurations window and press the OK button to save changes.
You can reboot your PC in a clean state and then open Origin to check whether or not the problem is now resolved.
6] Restart Origin in R&D mode
Many users have reported that starting Origin in R&D mode i.e., Research & Development mode enhances the download speed. This mode is meant for developers of Origin. Now, to start Origin in R&D mode, use the below steps:
Firstly, close the Origin client.
Now, right-click on the desktop and then choose the New > Text Document to generate an empty text document.
Next, open the text document and copy and paste the below lines in the document:
[connection] EnvironmentName=production [Feature] CdnOverride=akamai
After that, click on File > Save as and enter EACore.ini as the filename and then press the Save button.
When the above file is created, start Origin and press Yes on the USE CONFIGURATION FILE ON DESKTOP pop-up window.
See if this method works for you or not. If not, move down to the next potential fix to resolve the issue.
7] Delete the Origin cache file
If the above fixes didn’t help, clearing the cache might help you fix the problem. The corrupted cache associated with the Origin client can be a reason that you are facing slow download speed. So, delete the Origin cache file to fix the problem. You can use the following steps to do that:
- First, make sure Origin is fully closed and for that, click on Origin from the menubar and tap on the Exit option. Also, open Task Manager and make sure no process related to Origin is running in the background.
- Now, open Run using Win+R key combination and enter %ProgramData%/Origin in it.
- Next, delete all the files and folders inside the opened directory except for LocalContent.
- After that, evoke the Run dialog box using Win+R hotkey and enter %AppData% in it.
- Once you are inside the Roamin folder, delete the Origin folder.
- Then, go to the AppData folder using the address bar and open the Local folder.
- Next, delete the Origin folder.
- Finally, restart your PC and then launch Origin to check whether or not the issue is resolved.
8] Reinstall Origin
If none of the above solutions worked for you, you might need to consider reinstalling the Origin client to counter the issues. In some instances, the problem might be caused due to corrupted installation of the application. Hence, reinstalling the app should help you fix the problem. You need to first uninstall the Origin client from your PC. After that, download the installer for Origin from its official website and then reinstall it on your PC. See if this fixes up the problem for you.
Hope this helps!
Why is Origin so laggy?
The reason behind Origin being laggy can be the corrupted cache associated with it. You can try clearing the Origin cache files to get rid of the problem. In case the issue is caused due to software conflicts or internet issues, you can try the fixes we have mentioned in this article.