Here is a full guide to fix Connection Error on Elden Ring on your Windows 11/10 PC. Elden Ring is the most recent action role-playing game which has already become popular amongst gaming enthusiasts. However, the game has its share of bugs and errors. A lot of Elden Ring players have recently reported getting connection errors. Such errors kick the players out of a game and keep them from playing the game. Now, if you are also getting the same error, no worries we got you covered. In this post, we are going to mention multiple fixes that will help you get rid of connection errors on Elden Ring. So, without much ado, let us check out the solutions.
The error messages you could see are:
- Unable to connect to the network
- Cannot connect to the server due to heavy load
- Connectin error occurred.
What causes the connection error on Elden Ring?
There can be different reasons for individuals getting a connection error on Elden Ring. Here are some potential causes that might trigger the error at hand:
- You might receive the error because of game servers being down. Hence, make sure the current server status of Elden Ring is up and running. If not, you will have to wait until the servers are in working condition again.
- In most cases, connection errors are caused due to poor internet connectivity. As the game requires a stable and proper internet connection, check your internet connection and make sure there is no internet connectivity issue.
- The bad router cache can also be the reason for the error at hand. So, try performing a power cycle on your networking device to fix the error.
- If you have outdated or corrupted network drivers on your PC, it can also cause the connection error on Elden Ring. So, make sure you have updated your network and other device drivers.
- The problem might also lie with your DNS server. In case you are dealing with a bad DNS cache or inconsistency with your default DNS server, you are likely to encounter a connection error. Hence, try flushing the DNS and switching to the Google DNS server to resolve the error.
Based on the above scenarios, you can apply a suitable fix to get rid of the error.
Fix Elden Ring Connection Error on PC
Here are the methods to fix the Connection Error on Elden Ring:
- Check the server status of Elden Ring.
- Check your Internet connection.
- Perform a power cycle on your router/modem.
- Update your network and other device drivers.
- Flush your DNS.
- Set up a public DNS server.
Let us discuss the above solutions in detail now!
1] Check the server status of Elden Ring
One of the most common causes for getting a connection error is a server issue. So, the first thing you should do when you receive a connection error is to check the current server status of Elden Ring. In case you find out that there is a server outage or servers are being down for maintenance, you will have to wait for some time until the issue is fixed from the server end.
To check the server status of Elden Ring, you can use a free server-status detector tool to learn whether or not the servers are down. You can also check the official social media accounts of Elden Ring on Twitter, Facebook, or some other social network to find out the server status. If there is no server problem at the end of Elden Ring, there must be some other reason for the error. Hence, try the next potential fix to resolve the error.
2] Check your Internet connection
In most cases, the connection error is triggered due to an unstable or poor internet connection. Hence, make sure you are connected to a stable and good-speed internet connection before launching the game. Here are some tips that you can follow to optimize your internet connection:
- If there is any issue related to your WiFi, try fixing the WiFi problems on your PC.
- If possible, you can try using a wired connection as it is a more stable and reliable connection.
- In case there are several devices connected to a single internet, try disconnecting all other devices from that network to avoid bandwidth throttling and then see if the problem is resolved.
If the above tips don’t work, you can move on to the next potential fix to resolve it.
3] Perform a power cycle on your router/modem
You can also try power cycling your networking device i.e., router/ modem, and then see if the problem is resolved or not. In many instances, the connection problem is caused due to bad router cache. If the scenario is applicable, this method should fix the problem for you. Here is how you can perform a power cycle on your router/ modem:
- Firstly, press the power button on your router to turn it off.
- Now, unplug the device from the main switch and wait for at least 30 seconds.
- Next, plug in the router back and turn it on normally.
- Finally, connect to the internet and then relaunch Elden Ring to check if the error is fixed or not.
4] Update your network as well as other device drivers
The connection problem could be a result of your outdated or faulty network drivers. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, you must update your network drivers and then retry connecting to online services in Elden Ring. Along with that, you should also consider updating all your device drivers to avoid any other issues while gaming.
To update network drivers, below are the methods that you can try:
- You can manually update network drivers by opening the Settings app and going to Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional Update. Here, you can find the pending updates for the network and other drivers that you can download and install
- You can also try using the Device Manager app to update your network adapter drivers.
- Another method to update network drivers is to visit the official website of your device manufacturer and download network drivers from the direct source.
- There are several free third-party driver updater software to automatically update your network and other device drivers.
After updating your network and other device drivers, reboot your PC and then launch Elden Ring. Hopefully, you won’t receive the connection error in case the connection error was caused due to outdated drivers. However, in case you still get the same error, move on to the next potential fix to resolve it.
5] Flush your DNS
If the connection error on Elden Ring is caused due to invalid or corrupted DNS cache, you can try flushing the DNS. After clearing the DNS cache, you can try relaunching the game and then try connecting to online services to see if the problem is fixed or not.
Here are the steps to flush the DNS on Windows 11/10:
Now, type the below command in CMD:
After that, press the Enter button to execute the above command.
When you receive the “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.” message in CMD, you can close CMD and relaunch the game to see if the error is fixed or not.
In multiple instances, DNS server issues cause the connection error. If there is inconsistency with your default DNS server, it can prevent you from connecting to online services in Elden Ring. Hence, you can try switching your default DNS server to a more stable and reliable DNS server in order to fix the error. A lot of affected users were able to fix the error by setting up a Google DNS server on their PC. You can do the same and see if the error is fixed or not.
You can try the below steps to change to Google DNS Server:
- Firstly, use Win+R to evoke the Run dialog box and then enter ncpa.cpl in it to start the Network Connections window.
- Next, simply select and press the right-click on your active connection and then click on the Properties option.
- Now, in the Properties window, tap on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option and then press the Properties button.
- Then, choose the Use the following DNS server addresses option and then type the following addresses in respective fields:
Preferred DNS server: 184.108.40.206
Alternate DNS server: 220.127.116.11
- Finally, press the Apply > OK button to apply changes.
Hopefully, this method will resolve the connection error on Elden Ring for you.
How do I fix FPS drops on Elden Ring?
You can fix the FPS drops issue on Elden Ring by updating your graphics drivers and optimizing your graphics card settings. Besides that, you can also try verifying the integrity of game files or disabling the overlay feature to fix the issue.