If you cannot connect your Airpods to your Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC, we have some fixes here that may help you. What Earbuds are for Android devices, the Airpods are for Apple devices. Airpods are Bluetooth audio devices with great sound quality designed by Apple to use with its iPhone devices if we put in simple words. Airpods connect through Bluetooth with any device and they work well as long as the Bluetooth connectivity is good. Some users are unable to connect their Airpods with Windows PC. Let’s see how we can fix the issue.
Why won’t my AirPods connect to my Windows?
If you are unable to connect your Airpods with Windows, it might be due to a Bluetooth error or some conflicting devices. If you fix such possibilities and try to connect Airpods, it will connect successfully to your Windows PC.
Fix Cannot connect Airpods to Windows PC
If you are unable to connect your Airpods with Windows PC, the below fixes might help fix it.
- Check if your PC has in-built Bluetooth
- Run Bluetooth Troubleshooter
- Disconnect Airpods from other devices
- Pair Airpods to Windows again
- Change the default audio output device
- Update Bluetooth drivers
- Check and remove greyed-out Bluetooth device drivers
- Modify your Registry
Let’s get into the details of every method and fix the issue.
1] Check if your PC has in-built Bluetooth
First of all, check if your PC has in-built Bluetooth. If it has, then proceed.
2] Run Bluetooth Troubleshooter
Bluetooth Troubleshooter is an automated tool in Windows that helps users fix Bluetoooth-related problems. You can run this troubleshooter to fix different Bluetooth problems, like if your Bluetooth is not connecting to the PC, the Bluetooth device keeps disconnecting, etc.
Run Bluetooth Troubleshooter and see if it helps. The steps to run this troubleshooter are written below:
- Open Windows 11/10 Settings.
- Go to “System > Troubleshoot.”
- Now, click Other troubleshooters. In Windows 10, you have to click on the Additional troubleshooters link.
- Select Bluetooth and click Run.
3] Disconnect Airpods from other devices
The thing with Bluetooth devices is that it is possible to use them with one device at a time though they may connect to multiple devices. If you are facing connectivity issues of Airpods with Windows, turn off the Bluetooth in the conflicting devices and try connecting it to Windows PC.
4] Pair Airpods to Windows again
Open Bluetooth & devices in the Settings app of Windows and remove Airpods completely from Windows. Then, connect them manually to Windows. It will connect to Windows easily this time.
5] Change the default audio output device
There are chances that your Airpods are connected with Windows and you are not hearing anything on it. It might be due to the default audio output devices on your PC. Change the default audio output device to Airpods to fix it.
6] Update Bluetooth drivers
The final fix that can help you fix the issue is updating Bluetooth drivers. The drivers on your PC might be outdated or they might be corrupted. It is best to update Bluetooth drivers to the latest version and try connecting Airpods.
- You may check for Driver Updates via Windows Update to update your drivers
- You may visit the manufacturer’s site to download the drivers.
- Use a free driver update software
- If you have the INF driver file already on your computer then:
- Open Device Manager.
- Click the driver category to expand the menu.
- Then choose the relevant driver and right-click on it.
- Select Update Driver.
- Follow the on-screen wizard to finish updating your audio drivers.
7] Check and remove greyed-out Bluetooth device drivers
The problem might also be occurring due to the hidden Bluetooth device drivers. If hidden Bluetooth Device drivers exist on your system, they may interfere with other Bluetooth devices and cause issues. Check this in the Device Manager. The following instructions will guide you on this:
- Press the Win + X keys and select the Device Manager.
- When the Device Manager opens up, go to “View > Show hidden devices.”
- Now, expand the Bluetooth branch.
- If you see any greyed-out device drivers under the Bluetooth branch, remove them. For this, right-click on them and select Uninstall device.
- Restart your computer.
8] Modify your Registry
If the problem still persists, you have to disable the “Allow Windows to turn off this device option” in the Power Management tab of your AirPods Properties. You can open the AirPods driver properties from the Device Manager. After disabling this option, Windows will not turn off your AirPods after some time of inactivity. But if the Power Management tab is not available, you have to modify your Registry.
Open the Registry Editor and go to the following path.
Make sure that you have selected the 0000 key on the left side. Now, right-click in the empty space on the right side and go to “New > String Value.” Name it PnPCapabilities. Double-click on it and set its value to 24. Click OK and restart your computer.
These are the different fixes you can employ to fix Airpods connectivity issues with Windows.
How do I get Windows to recognize my AirPods?
Windows recognizes Airpods through Bluetooth. Make sure the Airpods are turned on and also the Bluetooth on your Windows PC. Then, open Bluetooth on your PC and check for Airpods in the Discoverable devices.