Are your experiencing performance issues like lags, stutters, or low FPS in The Division 2? According to several users, Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 keeps on stuttering or lagging on their PC. These issues can be caused due to various reasons. If you have outdated graphics drivers, you will face stutters in the game. Apart from that, lagging issues can be triggered due to weak or unstable internet connectivity. There can be other reasons for these performance issues that include broken game files, in-game overlays, too many programs running in the background, higher in-game graphics settings, etc.
Now, if you are also experiencing the same issues in The Division 2, this post will interest you. Here, we will discuss solutions that will help you run The Division 2 smoothly without stuttering, lagging, and low FPS issues. So, without much ado, let us check out the fixes.
The Division 2 low FPS, lagging, stuttering and freezing
Here are the solutions that you can use to fix low FPS, lagging, and stuttering Issues in The Division 2 on your Windows PC:
- Check The Division 2 system requirements.
- Update your graphics and other device drivers.
- Make sure your internet connection is stable.
- Set high priority for The Division 2 in Task Manager.
- Verify and repair the game files of The Division 2.
- Disable in-game overlays.
- Adjust your in-game settings.
- Switch to DirectX 11.
- Disable Game Mode.
1] Check The Division 2 system requirements
Every game has certain minimum and recommended system requirements to play it smoothly. Your computer must fulfill the system requirements for The Division 2 to avoid stuttering, lagging, and other performance issues. If it doesn’t, you will need to upgrade your system to enjoy playing the game without stutters, low FPS, lags, and other issues.
Recommended System Requirements for The Division 2 (1080p | 60 FPS):
- OS: 64-bit Windows 10
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, Intel Core I7-4790
- RAM: 8 GB
- GPU: AMD RX 480, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
- VRAM: 4 GB
- DIRECT X: DirectX 11/ 12
In case you face these issues even when your computer meets the above system requirements, you can use some other fix to resolve the issue at hand.
2] Update your graphics and other device drivers
You are likely to experience performance issues like stutters, FPS drops, etc., if you have an older version of the graphics driver on your PC. Outdated and corrupted graphics drivers are known to deteriorate gaming performance on your system. Hence, if you keep experiencing stuttering, lagging, and other performance issues in The Division 2, check your graphics driver and update it to the latest version.
In order to update graphics drivers, you can use different methods. You can use the Settings appby going to the Settings > Windows Update > Advanced options section. And, using the Optional Updates feature that allows you to download and install all the pending graphics and other device driver updates.
Besides that, you can also use the Device Manager app that lets you manually update your graphics drivers. The official website of the device manufacturer can be another method to download and install the latest version of your graphics driver. To avoid putting in so much effort to update multiple device drivers, you can use a free third-party driver updater.
Likewise, you can also update network drivers and other device drivers. Once done, reboot your PC and try playing The Division 2 to check whether or not the issues are resolved. If not, you can move on to the next potential fix.
See: Wolcen Lords of Mayhem crashes and not launching on Windows PC.
3] Make sure your internet connection is stable
Online video games like The Division 2 require an active and stable internet connection to work smoothly. You will experience lags in the game if your internet connection is weak or unstable. Hence, test your internet connection and make sure it is reliable enough to play the game.
You can test your internet speed and check if it is slow. If your internet speed is slow, you may consider upgrading your internet plan. Other than that, you can try troubleshooting the WiFi problems if applicable. Or, you can switch to a wired connection in place of a wireless connection as it is considered more reliable for gaming.
If your internet connection is working fine and still, you experience lags in The Division 2, you can move on to the next potential fix to resolve the issue at hand.
4] Set high priority for The Division 2 in Task Manager
The next thing you can do is close all the unnecessary programs running in the background. If your CPU is loaded with too many processes at a time, it might falter and reduce gaming performance. As a result, you will experience stuttering, lagging, and low FPS issues in The Division 2. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, terminate non-essential programs and set high priority for the game.
Here’s how you can do that:
- Firstly, hit the Ctrl+Shift+Esc hotkey to launch Task Manager.
- Now, from the Processes tab, use the End task button close unnecessary programs.
- After that, locate the The Division 2 program and press the right-click on it.
- From the appeared context menu, click on the Go to details option.
- Next, in the Details tab, right-click on the game process and click on the Set priority > High option.
- When done, open the game to check whether it starts performing well or not.
If the stuttering, lagging, and other issues in The Division 2 continue, you can try the next solution to get rid of the problems.
Read: Fix Elden Ring FPS Drops and Stuttering issues on Windows PC.
5] Verify and repair the game files of The Division 2
You can also try verifying the integrity of game files of The Division 2. A lot of times, the performance issues like stuttering, lagging, etc., are caused if one or more game files are corrupted or infected. Hence, in that case, verifying and repairing your game files should fix the problem for you.
To verify The Division 2 game files on Ubisoft Connect, use the below steps:
- Firstly, open your Ubisoft Connect app and move to its Games tab to access your installed games.
- Now, choose the The Division 2 game and tap on the Properties option from the left-side pane.
- After that, look for the Verify files option available under Local files and tap on it. Ubisoft Connect will now scan for damaged game files.
- When it finishes verifying the integrity of game files, it will prompt you with a Repair option to fix the bad game files. You can click on the Repair button to fix the game files.
- Once done, relaunch your game and check if the problem is resolved.
If you use Steam to play The Division 2, you can use the below steps:
- First, open your Steam client, navigate to Library, and look for The Division 2.
- Now, right-click on The Division 2 and select the Properties option from the appeared context menu.
- After that, navigate to the Local Files tab and tap on the Verify Integrity of Game Files button to start the game files’ verification process.
- When Steam finishes up verifying and repairing your game files, relaunch the game to check if the game works smoothly.
If this method doesn’t help, move on to the next potential fix.
See: Fix God of War FPS drops and Stuttering issues on Windows PC.
6] Disable in-game overlays
As per many users, disabling in-game overlays help in dealing with stutters and other performance issues in games like The Division 2. So, if you have enabled in-game overlay apps on your PC, turn them off and see if the issues are resolved.
Here are the simple steps to disable the in-game overlay option on Steam:
- First, go to your Steam app and click on its Steam > Settings option.
- Inside the Settings window, navigate to the In-Game tab.
- After that, uncheck the Enable Steam Overlay while in-game option.
- Now, reopen the game and check if the problem is resolved.
To disable the Ubisoft Connect overlay, you can follow the below steps:
- Firstly, open Ubisoft Connect and click on the three-line menu button present in the top left corner.
- Now, from the appeared menu options, choose the Settings option.
- After that, untick the Enable in-game overlay for supported games option present under the General tab.
You can disable Discord overlays using the following steps:
- Firstly, open your Discord app and from the bottom of your screen, click on the User Settings (gear icon) button.
- Now, scroll down to the Game Overlay option which is present under the ACTIVITY SETTINGS section.
- Next, from the right-side panel, switch off the Enable in-game overlay toggle.
Similarly, you can disable other overlay apps too, and see if the problem is resolved. If the issues still persist, you can move on to the next potential fix.
See: FIFA 22 Stuttering, Freezing, Lagging, Crashing issues on PC.
7] Adjust your in-game settings
In many instances, your in-game settings can affect the game’s performance. Hence, you can try lowering or adjusting your in-game graphics settings and see if the game works fine or not. To do that, follow the below steps:
First, open The Division 2 and go to its Settings. Now, move to the Video tab and then set Enable Reduced Latency to No.
Next, go to the Graphics tab and change the following values as mentioned below:
- V-Sync Mode: Off
- Frame Rate Limit: Off
- Shadow Quality: Low
- Spot Shadows: Low
- Spot Shadow Resolution : Medium
- Contact Shadows : Sun Low
- Resolution Scale : 100%
- Sharpening : 05
- Volumetric Fog : Medium
- Reflection Quality : Medium
- Local reflection Quality : Medium
- Vegetation Quality : Medium
- Sub-surface Scattering : On
- Anisotropic Filtering : 8x
- Parallax Mapping : Yes
- Ambient Occlusion : Medium
- Depth Of Field : On
- Object Detain : 62
- Extra Streaming Distance : 04
- Lens Flare : On
- Water Quality : High
- Chromatic Aberration : On
- Projected Texture Resolution : 512
- High Resolution Sky Textures : Yes
- Terrain Quality: High
When done, reopen your game and see if the problems at hand are fixed.
8] Switch to DirectX 11
Some users reported that switching to DirectX 11 from DirectX 12 helped them resolve stuttering issues in The Division 2. This might be due to the fact the engine used by The Division 2 i.e., Snowdrop is a bit old and might work better with DirectX 11. So, you can try switching to DirectX 11 and see if it works for you. Here’s how to do that:
- Firstly, open the game and move to its in-game Settings.
- Now, go to the Video tab and set Enable DX12 Renderer to No.
- Finally, open your game and check if the problems are resolved.
If you still get the same issues in The Division 2, move on to the next potential fix.
9] Disable Game Mode
The Game Mode on Windows 11/10 is a handy function that is used to optimize gaming performance. However, it might not work as intended in certain situations. Hence, you can disable the Game Mode on your PC and check if the problem is resolved. Just open your Settings app using Win+I and navigate to the Gaming tab. After that, click on the Game Mode option and disable the toggle associated with it. You can now check if The Division 2 performs well or not.
Read: Fix Total War Warhammer 3 FPS drop, Lag, and Stuttering on PC.
Why does The Division 2 Keep stuttering?
The Division 2 might stutter on your PC due to different factors. One of the common reasons is that your PC doesn’t fulfill the recommended system requirements to play the game. Apart from that, you might experience stutters due to outdated or faulty graphics drivers, weak internet connection, infected game files, higher in-game game graphics settings, etc. If you are facing the same issues, follow the fixes we have mentioned in this post.
How do I stop 2 stuttering in Destiny?
To stop stuttering issues in Destiny 2, you can update your graphics drivers, terminate unnecessary background programs, change your power management options, or clear temporary files. If that doesn’t help, you can modify your in-game settings in Destiny 2 and see which graphics settings work the best for you.
Is there a problem with Division 2 servers?
You can check if there is an issue going on with The Division 2 servers using a free online tool. Web services like UpOrDown.org, DownDetector.com, DownOrIsItJustMe.com, and more allow you to check the current server status of games and other services. If The Division 2 servers are down, these websites will tell you about that.
Now read: Battlefield 2042 FPS Drops and Stuttering Issues on PC.