Are you getting the “Cannot connect to the server” error on Lost Ark? Here is a complete to fix the error on your Windows PC. Lost Ark is a popular free-to-play multiplayer online action role-playing game. While it is loved by millions of gamers, many users have complained of getting this connection error when trying to launch the game. When triggered, you will get the following error message:
Cannot connect to the server. Exiting the game.
Now, if you are also getting the same error, try the fixes we have mentioned in this article to get rid of it.
What does Lost Connection to the game server mean?
If you try to launch or play a game and you receive a Connection to server lost or Cannot connect to the server error, then that means there is a problem in exchanging the data between your PC and the game server. This may happen of a weak or poor internet connection. If you use a VPN connection or Proxy, then it may also interfere and create a problem connecting to the game server.
Why can’t I connect to the game server Lost Ark?
If you can’t connect to the Lost Ark game server, then here are potential causes:
- It can be caused if you are using a weak or unstable internet connection.
- Corrupted or missing game files can be another reason for it. In that case, you need to verify the integrity of the game files.
- The error could be triggered due to your firewall blocking the connection to Lost Ark servers.
- It can also occur due to a corrupted DNS cache or inconsistency with your default DNS server.
Before trying advanced fixes, make sure it is not a server error. To check that, use a free server-status detector tool. If there is no server problem, try the fixes we have mentioned below.
Lost Ark cannot connect to the server
Here are the fixes that you can try to resolve the “Cannot connect to the server” error on Lost Ark:
- Restart the game/ game launcher.
- Check your internet connection.
- Verify the integrity of the game files.
- Update the network and graphics driver.
- Allow Lost Ark through your firewall.
- Flush your DNS cache.
- Switch to Google DNS server.
Let us check out the above fixes in detail now!
1] Restart the game/ game launcher
The first thing you should do to fix this error is to restart the game. You might be getting the error due to some temporary glitch or issue in the game. Hence, relaunching it should help you. If that doesn’t help, you can try restarting the game launcher i.e., Steam, and then play Lost Ark. If this method fixes the error for you, well and good. In case it doesn’t, you can move on to the next potential fix to resolve the error.
2] Check your internet connection
For games like Lost Ark, a stable and high-speed internet connection is required. So, in case you are having a low bandwidth internet connection or internet which is unstable, you are likely to experience the Cannot connect to the server error. If the scenario is applicable, check your internet connection and optimize it. For an optimal internet connection, you can try the below tips:
- First of all, check your internet speed and see if your internet speed is good enough to play online games smoothly. If not, you will be required to upgrade your internet plan to avoid errors like these.
- Most gamers prefer using a wired internet connection instead of a wireless connection. This is because a wired connection is more reliable and stable. So, try using a wired internet connection to fix the connection error.
- If there are some issues related to your WiFi on your PC, try fixing the WiFi problems.
- You can also disconnect all other devices that are using the same internet connection as you. This is to prevent bandwidth throttling which might be causing the error at hand.
- Also, you can perform a power cycle on your router/modem and see if it fixes the error for you.
In case there is no internet issue and you are using an optimized connection, you can move on to the next potential fix to resolve the error.
3] Verify the integrity of the game files
This error could also be triggered due to corrupted or missing game files. Hence, you can try verifying and repairing the faulty game files of Lost Ark to fix the error. Here are the steps to do so:
- Firstly, launch the Steam client and navigate to its LIBRARY section.
- Now, locate and right-click on the Lost Ark game.
- After that, from the appeared context menu, select the Properties option.
- Next, go to the Local Files tab and then click on the Verify Integrity of Game Files button.
- When the game files are verified successfully, you can try relaunching the game and see if the error is resolved or not.
If you still receive the same error, there might be some other cause of the error. So, you can try the next potential method to fix the error.
4] Update the network and graphics drivers
This error could very well be facilitated due to outdated network, graphics, and other system drivers. Hence, you need to make sure that you have up-to-date system drivers. If the drivers are not updated, update all your device drivers and then check if the error is fixed or not.
Here are methods to update network drivers, graphics drivers, and other system drivers:
- You can try manually updating network drivers; simply go to the Settings app and move to Windows Update > Advanced options > Optional Update. From here, you can download and install available updates for your network, graphics, and other drivers.
- Using the Device Manager app, you can easily update your network adapter and graphics drivers.
- You can also download the recent version of network and graphics drivers by going to the official website of your device manufacturer.
If you have updated drivers and you still get this error, move on to the next potential fix to resolve it.
5] Allow Lost Ark through your firewall
Another reason for the “Cannot connect to the server” error could be your firewall. It might be preventing or blocking connection to the Lost Ark servers. Hence, you can try disabling your firewall and then launch the game. If the error is fixed, you can be sure that your firewall was causing the error. You can then try whitelisting Lost Ark through your firewall to permanently fix the error. Here’s how to do that:
- Firstly, from the taskbar search, simply search and launch the Firewall & Network Protection application.
- Now, from the left side panel, click on Allow an app through the firewall.
- Next, click on the Change Settings button from the Allowed Apps page.
- Then, press the Select the Allow another app > Browse button and browse and select the Steam and Lost Ark’s executable file.
- When done adding the applications, enable the Public and Private checkboxes for both the apps.
- Finally, tap on the OK button to save changes and relaunch the game to check if the error is fixed or not.
If the error still persists, try the next potential fix to resolve the error.
6] Flush your DNS cache
The error might be caused due to invalid or corrupted DNS cache. Hence, you can try flushing the DNS cache and then try relaunching the game to check whether or not the error is fixed. Here are the steps to flush the DNS on Windows 11/10:
Firstly, start the Command Prompt window with administrator right.
Now, enter the below command in CMD:
When the command is successfully executed, you will get a message saying “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.” You can then try relaunching the game and see if the error is now stopped. If not, try the next solution to fix the error.
7] Switch to the Google DNS server
If nothing works for you, there are chances that you are dealing with inconsistency with your default DNS server. So, if the scenario is applicable, you should be able to fix the error by switching to a public DNS server which is more reliable. Most users were able to resolve the error by changing to the Google DNS server. So, you can try doing the same to fix the error.
To change to Google DNS Server, you can use the below steps:
- Firstly, evoke the Run dialog by using the Windows + R and then launch the Network Connections window by entering ncpa.cpl in it.
- Now, right-click on your active internet connection, and from the appeared context menu, click on the Properties option.
- Next, in Properties, click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option and then choose the Properties button.
- Then, tap on the Use the following DNS server addresses option and then enter the below addresses in the respective fields:
Preferred DNS server: 18.104.22.168 Alternate DNS server: 22.214.171.124
- Now, go back, choose the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPV6) option, and tap on the Properties button.
- After that, select the Use the following DNS server addresses option and use the following addresses in their respective fields:
Preferred DNS server: 2001:4860:4860::8888 Alternate DNS server: 2001:4860:4860::8844
- Finally, press the Apply > OK button to switch t Google DNS Server.
Hopefully, this will resolve the error for you.
Now read: Fix Warzone High Ping or Lag Spike on PC.