Software giant, Microsoft officially made the final version of Windows 8.1 available for download. The version is available as a free update for the existing Windows 8 users (including Surface RT or Surface Pro users). What Microsoft claimed to be as the first major update since the launch of Surface represented great work by the Windows team. The story started with the return of ‘Start’ button and finished the race with roll out of some major performance & UI tweaks and assorted bug fixes.
Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 Upgrade
If you are upgrading from Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro or Windows RT you will find that the updating process hasn’t changed much. It is free and quick. You can even keep working elsewhere, while the update is installed – and when the job is done you can enjoy all the new features, like:
- Single search looks everywhere—Internet, Surface, or SkyDrive—and presents results beautifully.
- New personalization options to make Surface your perfect place to connect, play, or work.
- New apps like Reading List and an updated Photos app.
- Integrated SkyDrive access
The difference is that, if you own a Surface RT device will be that during the update installation no ‘INSTALLS’ screen or any download progress screen would be visible to you. Besides, you will be required to reinstall all of the Metro-style apps and desktop applications when the upgrading work has finished.
- Go to the Start screen, and tap or click the Store tile. Launch the Upgrade installer from Windows Store. It will check if you have the adequate space for installing the updates.
- If yes, the update will be downloaded and installed in the background while you use your Surface to do other things.
- If you don’t see the update on the Store home screen, see Why can’t I find the update in the Store?
We recommend you refer this page before proceeding and installing the updates.
Update from Windows RT 8.1 Preview
Swipe in from the right edge of the screen and tap Settings. Tap or click Change PC settings, then tap or click Update and recovery. Tap or click Check now
If there are updates available, tap or click View details. Tap or click to select the updates you want to install, and then tap or click Install. Restart Surface after the updates have been installed.
NOTE: Windows RT 8.1 update has now been removed from the Windows Store, after some issues relating to the update were reported. It will be provided as and when they become available.
Update from Windows 8.1 Preview
You can download the update for free from the Windows Store. You’ll be able to keep your personal files, but you’ll need to reinstall your apps. On the Start screen, tap or click Store to open the Windows Store. Doing this first will allow you to see the progress of the installation once it starts.
You can also enter ms-windows-store:WindowsUpgrade into the address bar of your browser to reach the download page!
For important tips about how to prepare your computer or device for the update to Windows 8.1, see this page.
For a full Windows 8.1 FAQ visit this page. Download the Windows 8.1 Product Guide here.
If your Windows 8.1 upgrade fails, visit these links:
- Your Windows 8.1 install couldn’t be completed error
- Something happened, and the Windows 8.1 couldn’t be installed. Error code 0×80070714
- Error 0x000000C4 Unable To Install Windows 8.1 Using Virtualization
- The update is not applicable to your computer error when installing Windows 8.1
- Windows 8.1 cant be installed on VirtualBox, CompareExchange128 Processor Incompatibilty.