The Device Manager in Windows lets you view the hardware installed on your computer, along with its Properties. It lets you change hardware settings, identify device drivers for each device, view and change settings and properties, and install, uninstall, update, roll back, enable, disable the drivers.
This article will tell you how to Back Up, Uninstall, Disable, Roll Back, Update Device Drivers using the Device Manager in Windows 8.
Device Manager in Windows 7 | 8
While on the Windows 8 desktop, press Win+W, type Device Manager, to search for it in Settings. Click on Device Manager to open it. In Windows 7 type Device Manager in start search and hit Enter to open it.
Locate the driver, and right-click on it. You will see options to:
- Update Driver Software
- Uninstall Driver Software.
- Install Drivers
If you wish to uninstall the driver, click on Uninstall.
If you wish to check for updates and update the Driver, click on Update Driver Software. The wizard will open and offer you two options:
- To search online automatically
- To browse to the drive software on your computer
Select and click on the option you want, to proceed further.
Roll back, Disable, Enable Drivers
The right-click context menu will also let you open the Driver’s properties. Click on Properties to open the Properties box. Select the Driver tab.
Here you will see more options:
- Update Drivers: This will start the Hardware Update Wizard.
- Roll Back Driver: This will uninstall the most recently updated driver and will roll back your configuration, to the earlier version. You may need to roll back a driver if you find that your device fails after updating the driver.
- Disable (or Enable) Driver: This will disable the Driver, till you enable it back again.
- Uninstall Driver: This will uninstall completely the drivers files and registry settings for the selected hardware.
If you are looking for more information on this subject, you may find it here:
- Detect programs, features, drivers slowing down a fast start up, shutdown or hibernation
- Stop Windows from installing Drivers automatically
- Identify & Troubleshoot Unknown Devices in Windows
- Let Windows download latest Drivers and Icons for your Devices automatically
- Tips to fix common driver problems in Windows
- Download, update, install latest Intel Drivers with Intel Driver Update Utility
- Update AMD Drivers with AMD Driver Autodetect
- Troubleshoot Driver Problems in Windows with Driver Verifier Manager
- How to back up & restore Drivers in Windows 7 | 8.