Here is a guide for you to speed up or slow down an animated GIF in Windows 11/10. You can easily change GIF speed and slow it down or make it fast as per your requirement. For that, you can use a free tool that lets you change animated GIF speed. Here, we will list down free software and web services that enable you to speed up or slow down animated GIFs on Windows 11/10 PC. Now, without much ado, let us check these out!
How do I change the speed of an animated GIF?
You can change the speed of an animated GIF using a GIF speed changer. There are multiple animated GIF editors that let you alter the GIF speed. You can find out these editors later in this article.
How many frames per second is a GIF?
Frames per second (FPS) i.e., Frame Rate value is basically the speed of GIF. It indicates the number of frames that are displayed per second in an animated GIF. The standard GIFs have a value of frames per second between 15 and 24.
How to Speed Up or Speed Down GIF in Windows 11/10
Here are some free GIF speed changer software and web services that let you slow down or speed up a GIF in Windows 11/10:
- File Converter
- RealWorld Paint
Let us now discuss these freeware and online GIF speed changer services in detail!
GIMP is a free image editing software using which you can change GIF speed. Along with images, it works with animated GIFs too. You can import, edit, change GIF speed, and export animated GIFs using it. There are basically two ways to change GIF speed in GIMP. First, you can either change the frame rate for individual GIF frames to show a particular frame for a specific duration. Second, you can change the frame rate for all frames of GIF uniformly. Let us check out these steps in detail now.
How to change GIF speed in GIMP:
Here are the main steps to change speed for each frame individually:
- Download and install GIMP.
- Launch GIMP.
- Import a GIF animation.
- Go to the Layer panel and double-click on a frame.
- Enter the time for the frame in ms.
- Repeat steps (4) and (5) for all the frames.
- Export the edited GIF with a changed frame rate.
If you don’t have GIMP already installed on your PC, download and install it. Launch it and then open a GIF animation in it. As you import a GIF, you will be able to view all its frames in the Layers dockable window. With the frame number, you will see the duration for each frame in milliseconds (ms).
From the Layers window, double-click on a frame to change its duration in the output GIF and change overall GIF speed. Type the duration in milliseconds and press the Enter button.
Repeat the above step for all frames whose duration you want to change in the resulting GIF. You can preview the output by going to the Filters > Animation > Playback option.
Finally, you can save the GIF by using the File > Overwrite option. If you want to save edited GIF to a new file, use the File > Export As option.
Now, if you want to speed up or slow down a GIF by changing speed for all frames equally, follow the below steps:
- Firstly, launch GIMP and open an animated GIF.
- Go to the Filter menu, click the Animation option, and select the Playback option.
- In the Animation Playback dialog window, open the speed drop-down option.
- Select the desired speed to slow down (less than 1x) or speed up a GIF (greater than 1x).
- Preview the GIF at changed speed.
- If all looks ok, close the Animation Playback window.
- At last, save the GIF by using the File > Overwrite or File > Export As option.
So, GIMP is a good alternative to change GIF speed according to your requirement.
PhotoScape is a set of multiple photo viewer and editing tools that include an Animated GIF editor. Using this editor, you can easily change GIF speed to slow it down or speed it up. Let us check out the step-by-step procedure for that.
How to slow down or speed up GIF in PhotoScape
Here are the main steps to change the speed of a GIF using PhotoScape:
Firstly, download and install PhotoScape on your Windows 11/10 PC. Then, launch PhotoScape and from the home screen, select the Animated GIF tool.
Now, browse and import an animated GIF using its inbuilt file explorer and drag and drop the animated GIF to the dedicated section. After that, click the Change Time button and in the next prompt, enter the display time for all frames in seconds. Enable the radio button name Change only display time of the selected frame if you want to change display time for the individual frame. Press the OK button.
Finally, preview the GIF and then click the Save button to save the animated GIF.
It also contains other tools including Image Splitter, Batch Photo Editor, Raw Image Converter, etc. You can download it from photoscape.org.
GiftedMotion is a free and portable GIF speed change for Windows 11/10. It lets you quickly speed up or slow down a GIF. Open an animated GIF and then enter the duration for selected or all frames in milliseconds. To apply changes to all frames, enable the respective checkbox from the main interface. Next, you can play the GIF to view the output preview. To save the resulting GIF, go to the File > Save as GIF animation option.
Apart from editing GIF speed, you can also add, remove, and rearrange GIF frames.
4] File Converter
File Converter is another free software to change GIF speed on Windows 11/10 PC. It is a free file converted and can be accessed from right-click context menu of supported images. You can also slow down or speed up GIFs from the context menu of GIF. Let’s check out how!
How to change GIF speed using the right-click context menu in Windows 11/10:
Here are the steps to speed up or slow down GIF speed using the context menu of GIFs:
- Download and install File Converter on your PC.
- Launch File Converter Settings window and select To Gif from Conversion Presets.
- Now, customize the Frames per second (GIF speed) as per your requirement and click the Save button.
- Open File Explorer and go to the source GIF file and right-click on the GIF.
- From the context menu, click on the File Converter > To Gif option. It will process and save output GIF with the customized speed in the source folder
5] RealWorld Paint
RealWorld Paint is a graphics designer and image editing software for Windows 11/10. It can also be used to change GIF speed as it also lets you create and edit animated GIFs. You can also draw over GIF animation, add or remove GIF frames, resize frames, watermark GIF, and do more with this free GIF speed changer. Now, follow the below procedure to slow down or speed up a GIF using RealWorld Paint.
Simply download and install and then open its interface on your PC. Import an animated GIF and it will split and show its individual frames on the screen. Go to the Animation menu and click the Change Animation Speed option.
Next, drag the speed slider towards the right to speed up the GIF or move it toward the left to slow down the GIF. It shows the preview in the prompt only, sp you can make adjustments to speed as required. Click the OK button to apply changes.
Alternately, if you want to change the time duration for particular frames, double click on the frame and then enter the duration in milliseconds (ms).
Finally, use the File > Save as option to save the edited GIF.
Picosmos is a free GIF speed changer for Windows 11/10. Using it, you can make it a GIF fast or slow. You can follow the below steps for that:
- Download and install Picosmos.
- Launch the PicosmosTools application.
- Select the Animation tool and double-click open it.
- Add a GIF file using its inbuilt file explorer.
- Now, in the right panel, you will see a set all frames option with time duration. Customize this duration in seconds to change GIF speed. You can also customize the time duration for individual frames too by selecting the respective option from the drop-down options.
- Preview the animation and then click the Save or Save as option to save edited GIF.
Apart from changing GIF speed, you can also change GIF width and height and remove frames.
Ezgif.com is a popular online GIF creation tool using which you can also change GIF speed. It provides a dedicated section to slow down or speed up a GIF.
How to change GIF speed on Ezgif.com:
- Simply open its website in a browser and then go to the Adjust GIF speed section.
- Then, browse and choose a GIF file from your PC or paste the URL of the GIF.
- After that, press the Upload option.
- Now, set up the speed as per your requirement; you can enter the percentage by which you want to change GIF speed.
- Click the Change Speed button to apply changes.
- Finally, you can click on the Save button in the Output section to download the edited GIF.
ImageOnline.co is a web service to change GIF speed. Go to its website and upload a GIF file. Then, change the delay to change GIF speed and press the Change Speed button. It will process and show the output GIF that you can download. The Preview of output is shown on its interface. So, before downloading the GIF, check the preview. If you want to make changes, you can again change the GIF speed and then download the resulting file.
Gifntext is an inline GIF editor using which you can change GIF speed too. Browse and import a GIF file to it or enter the URL of a GIF to import the source GIF file. Then, from the GIF Settings, adjust the GIF speed. Drag the slider towards the left to slow down the GIF or drag it to the right to speed up the GIF. After that, click the Generate GIF to download the output animated GIF.
LunaPic is one more option for your to change GIF speed. Open its website in your favorite web browser and then click the Upload button to import a GIF file from your PC. Now, go to the Animation menu and click the Edit GIF Animation option. It will open up some animation settings including Speed. Click on the Speed drop-down option and select a desired preset to quickly speed up or slow down a GIF. You can also change loop settings for your GIF animation.
After selecting a speed preset (slow or fast), you can click on the Apply button. It will process the GIF and show you the output preview. You can then Save that edited animated GIF to your PC or you can share it to social media like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.
Hope this article helps you to speed up or slow down GIFs on your Windows 11/10 PC using these free GIF speed changer tools.