You can now sign in to your Surface or Windows 11/10 devices with just a touch or a look. Yes, Windows Hello, this feature of Windows 11/10 can memorize your face and make signing-in easier than ever. It is a biometric authentication method that uses advanced hardware like front-facing cameras and fingerprint scanners to recognize users. It gives you enterprise-grade security without having to type in a password.
In this post, we will learn about how to set up Windows Hello facial recognition and fingerprint reader on your Surface device. To get hands-on with this latest bio-metric authentication, you first need to make sure that Windows 11/10 on your Surface is updated.
Check Windows Update and Security settings in Windows and see if your operating system is up-to-date. If you see any available updates, just download and install them on your machine.
Actually, setting Windows Hello is very simple. Just head over to your sign-in options in Accounts Settings on your Surface device, and you will see Windows Hello there.
Check out the step-by-step instruction to set up facial recognition on your Surface device.
Set up facial recognition or Windows Hello
- Go to your Settings > Accounts > Sign in options.
- Locate Windows Hello and select the Infrared camera option.
- You will see a “Welcome to Windows Hello” box with “Get Started” button.
- Click on the button, and your system will ask you to stare on your device’s screen directly.
- While your device wills can take your image, you will notice a little light to the left of your front-facing camera.
- You just need to stare at the screen for a few seconds and you are done. Follow the on-screen instructions to get the best results. Make sure that your face is around 6-8 inches away from your Surface screen.
- Click on “Finish” to complete the process.
If you are not sure with the recognition, click on “Improve Recognition” and scan your face again with a different look.
Once you have done this, you can use Windows Hello to Sign in.
Set up Fingerprint Reader
Fingerprint reader provides you the convenience of unlocking your device quickly with one simple touch. With a fingerprint reader set up in your Surface device, you don’t need to worry about remembering a password again.
To set up the fingerprint reader on your Surface Pro, you will need a Surface Pro Type Cover with Fingerprint ID (available at retail in the U.S. only).
Check out the step-by-step instruction to set up a fingerprint reader on your Surface device.
Set up the fingerprint reader
- Go to the sign-in options from your Accounts Settings.
- Locate Windows Hello and select Fingerprint option.
- Select “Set Up”.
- Place your finger on the fingerprint ID sensor on your Surface Pro type cover. You can select one or multiple fingers to be read by the scanner.
- You will get a notification when the setup is done.
- Log in with your touch and enjoy the awesome experience of Surface Pro.
See this post if Windows Hello does not recognize Face or Fingerprint.