Windows Hello is one of the sign-in options available on Windows 11 and Windows 10 systems. It is a more secure way for users to access their Windows 11/10 devices via a PIN, Fingerprint Recognition, and Facial Recognition. You can easily set up and remove Windows Hello PIN and other sign-in options from Settings. Some users have reported that they were unable to remove Windows Hello PIN from Settings because the Windows Hello PIN Remove button was greyed out. If you experience the same issue on your device, this post may help you fix it.
Windows Hello PIN Remove button is greyed out
Here, we will explain the following two solutions to fix this issue:
- Disabling the “Only allow Windows Hello sign-in” option.
- Using the Forgot PIN option.
Below, we have described these methods in detail.
1] Disabling the “Only allow Windows Hello sign-in” option
If the Windows Hello PIN Remove button is greyed out on your system, the first thing that you can do is, disable the “only allow Windows Hello sign-in” option from Settings. After setting up a Windows Hello PIN, you cannot remove it until this option is enabled.
The following steps are for Windows 11 users:
- Launch the Settings app by pressing Win + I keys.
- Select Accounts from the left side.
- Click on the Sign-in options on the right pane.
- Now, check if the button next to the “For improved security, only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended)” option is on or off. You will find this option in the Additional Settings.
- If the button is turned on, turn it off.
This will enable the Windows Hello PIN Remove button. Now, you can easily delete the Windows Hello PIN.
Windows 10 users have to go through the following steps:
- Right-click on the Start Menu and select Settings.
- Click Accounts.
- Select Sign-in options from the left pane.
- On the Sign-in options page, turn off the button that says “For improved security, only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended).”
This will enable the greyed-out Windows Hello PIN Remove button.
2] Using the Forgot PIN option
Some users have reported that they did not find the “only allow Windows Hello sign-in” option in Windows 11/10 Settings. If this is the case with you, you can delete the Windows Hello key from your computer by this method. Before you proceed, we recommend you add another sign-in option to your computer, like a password. This will help you log into Windows 11/10 without creating a new Windows Hello PIN.
Open the Sign-in options page on your Windows 11/10 system by following the steps described above. After that, follow the instructions listed below:
- On the Sign-in options page, expand the PIN (Windows Hello) tab, and click on the I Forgot my PIN link. After that, you will be prompted to reset your Windows Hello PIN. Click Continue.
- Now, Windows will ask you to confirm your identity by entering your Microsoft account password. After entering the password, you will be prompted to set up a new PIN.
- You need not set up a new PIN. Simply click Cancel and close the PIN reset window. This will delete your existing Windows Hello PIN from your computer.
When you start your computer the next time after deleting the Windows Hello PIN, you may see the following message on the login screen:
Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.
Along with this message, you will see two more options, Set up my PIN and Sign-in options. The latter option will appear only if you have set up another sign-in option, like a password. Click Sign-in options and enter your password to log into your administrative or local account on Windows 11/10.
After this, Windows will never ask you to set up a PIN on the login screen until you click Sign-in options on the login screen again. Now, you will be able to sign in to Windows 11/10 by entering your password.
How do I remove Windows Hello PIN?
You can remove Windows Hello PIN simply by clicking on the Remove button. If the Remove button is greyed out, you can try any of the two methods described above in this article.
How do I disable the Hello PIN in Windows 11/10?
To disable the Windows Hello PIN on a Windows 11/10 system, you have to remove it from Settings. If you want to permanently disable the Windows Hello PIN, you have to use Windows Registry Editor or Local Group Policy Editor.
Hope this post helped you fix the issue.
Read next: Windows Hello not working in Windows 11/10.