The Out of Box Experience (OOBE) error happens when users reset their PC, run a debloater, upgrade, or install Windows 11 or Windows 10. The error appears in the last steps toward the completion. In this post, we will look at the solutions you can apply to fix OOBEEULA, OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE, OOBEAADV10 OOBE errors and resume your normal computer operations. The issues will show a message like “Something went wrong. You can try again or skip now”. It indicates the error code which always starts with OOBE and then gives you two options to choose from at the bottom, either to Try again or to Skip.
Some users report that even after selecting the Try again or Skip buttons, they still get back to the same issues almost immediately. The Windows SYSPREP feature sets your system to the OOBE mode which allows you to set up Language, Region, Windows Hello, Keyboard language, etc. At this stage, if Windows cannot read your preferences or the Windows files do not support the feature, you will get an OOBE error.
Fix OOBEEULA, OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE, OOBEAADV10 OOBE errors
The OOBEEULA, OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE, OOBEAADV10 OOBE errors may happen if your system lacks some files like EULA files. However, the issues may be caused by other issues during the Windows Ssetup. To fix these OOBE errors, try the following solutions:
- Try the process again
- Restart your PC
- Download the fresh copy of Windows
- Perform SFC scan
- Try with a temporary account
- Run Sysprep Command
- Modify your Registry
- Reset your PC
Let us look at these solutions one by one.
Read: What is OOBE or Out-Of-Box Experience in Windows 11/10?
1] Try the process again
Some users have successfully resolved the OOBEEULA, OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE, OOBEAADV10 OOBE errors by clicking the Try again button. So it’s worth giving it a trial. Well, there are cases where this won’t work but trying is good just to be sure. When the error shows up, locate the Try again button at the bottom of the window and select it. Wait for the process to finish and see if the error is resolved. If not, go to the next possible solution.
2] Restart your PC
Sometimes, restarting your device can solve the OOBE errors. So before going to any other method try to restart your computer. Here, you need to force your PC to go off. Press the power button until the computer turns off. Wait for a few seconds and press the same power button to turn on your computer. Restarting your PC wipes out any issues caused by an installed program or a pending service pack.
3] Download the fresh copy of Windows
If there are missing files in your Windows when setting it up, the OOBE errors will be triggered. To fix this, you may download a fresh Windows instead of a local installation. Go to the Recovery section in your Windows settings, select Reset this PC and click Get started. After that, you will have two distinct options; Cloud download and Local Reinstall. To download a fresh copy of Windows, select Cloud download and continue with the rest of the process.
If you are unable to get back to the Recovery in the Windows settings, turn on your PC and when you immediately see the manufacturer’s logo like HP, Dell, etc while booting, long-press the power button until the computer turns off. Do this two more times. The next time you switch on your computer, it will automatically get you back to recovery mode where you can reset the PC.
4] Perform SFC scan
The System File Checker is an inbuilt tool in the Windows operating system that is used to scan for any corrupted files in the system. Corrupt system files can cause OOBEEULA, OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE, OOBEAADV10 OOBE errors. Running an SFC scan can fix the errors and go back to your normal PC functions. To run the SFC scan,
- While in the recovery environment, press Shift + F10.
- In the new Command Prompt window type the following command and hit Enter on the keyboard:
- The tool will start to scan your system files automatically. Wait until it completes the scan up to 100%.
- Close the Command Prompt and reboot your PC.
5] Try with a temporary account
You can create a temporary username that the OOBE will use and then you can delete it later after the process. A local administrator account may resolve the OOBE errors successfully. To create a new temporary Windows account while on recovery mode;
- Press Shift + F10
- Copy and paste the following command line and press Enter on your PC keyboard:
net user administrator /active:yes net user /add newusername newuserpassword net localgroup administrators newusername /add cdwindir%\system32\oobemsoobe.exe
- Replace the newusername and newuserpassword with your preferred credentials.
- Wait for Command Prompt to complete the process which may take up to 15 minutes.
- Once it’s complete force your PC to shut down and reboot it with the new account details.
- Press the Windows key + R and type lusrmgr.msc and then hit Enter.
- Go to Users > Administrators and right-click Properties.
- A new small window will appear, check the box next to Account is Disabled. Go to Apply > Ok.
- Right-click on Defaultuser0 and then go to Delete > Windows Setting > Accounts > Your info > Sign in with Microsoft account instead
- Follow the directions to complete the account creation.
6] Run Sysprep command
Running a Sysprep command may resolve the OOBEEULA, OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE, OOBEAADV10 OOBE errors. This command clears the SIDs and GUIDs, then restart your PC. Here is how you run the Sysprep command:
- Once the error shows up you can click Skip. You will be taken back to the Region option. While there, press Shift + F10.
- A new Command Prompt window will appear. Copy and paste the following command line and press Enter:
%windir%\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot
- Wait for the process to finish and continue with the Windows setup.
7] Modify your Registry
Modifying the Registry may resolve OOBE errors like OOBEEULA, OOBESETTINGSMULTIPAGE, OOBEAADV10 OOBE, etc. Here is how you modify the registry entries and then add OOBE to eliminate the errors:
For Windows 10 use these steps:
- While on the OOBE window, press the Shift button + F10.
- Type regedit on the new Command Prompt window and press Enter
Follow this path:
- On the right side, right-click anywhere in the empty space. Go to New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name the new value eg. SetupDisplayedOOBEAADV (This depends on the kind of the OOBE error).
- Next, double-click on the new value and put 00000001 in the Data value sections.
- Press OK to save the changes.
- Finally, exit the Registry Editor and click the Try again button to continue with the setup.
For Windows 11, use the following steps:
- Press the Shift key + F10.
- Type regedit on the Command Prompt and press Enter to open the editor.
Follow this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Session Manager/ Memory Management
- Go ahead and right-click on the value and select Delete. Confirm by clicking Yes if you get the confirmation prompt.
- Exit the editor and restart your computer.
8] Reset your PC
Resetting your PC can resolve the OOBE errors, but should be done if all other methods fail. Resetting a PC creates new processes and services including the OOBE experience. Follow the directions to reset your PC in the Recovery settings. Go to Get started > Reset this PC. Take care of all necessary precautions.
We hope one of the solutions helps you fix the OOBE error you are encountering.
Related: Something went wrong, OOBESETTINGS message during Windows Setup
Can I run Windows 11 without activation?
You can run Windows 11 without activation. However, you might miss some features and customization that come with an activated Windows system. Microsoft allows users to run Windows without an activation key indefinitely. You might get an overlay at the bottom-right of the screen, telling you to activate your Windows in the settings.
Read next: Fix OOBEKEYBOARD, OOBELOCAL, OOBEREGION errors on Windows
How do I reset my OOBE computer?
To reset your OOBE computer, press the Shift key + F10. Once the Command Prompt is open, type the command line systemreset -factoryreset. Follow the screen directions to continue with the reset process. You can choose to keep files or remove everything. Once the reset is done, all processes will start afresh and you might need to install some of your apps.