Several Genshin Impact users are reportedly facing lags and FPS drops in the game on their PC. As a result, the game’s performance deteriorates and you can’t play the game smoothly. In this post, we will be discussing different methods that you can use to improve FPS and decrease lags in Genshin Impact. So, let us check out the solutions now.
Now, there can be different factors responsible for low FPS and lagging issues in the game. Here are some potential causes for these issues:
- Lags and low FPS issues can be caused due to outdated or faulty network and graphics driver installed on your computer.
- Internet connectivity issues also lead to lags in Genshin Impact.
- If there are too many bandwidth-hogging apps running on your computer, you will experience lags in your games like Genshin Impact.
- DNS server issues can also cause the same problems.
Fix Genshin Impact FPS drops and lags on PC
Here are the methods you can use to reduce lags and boost FPS in Genshin Impact on a PC:
- Make sure your network adapter and graphics drivers are updated.
- Check your internet connection/ reset IP configurations.
- Switch to a wired connection.
- Launch Genshin Impact as an administrator.
- Terminate all bandwidth-hogging programs.
- Set the game’s priority to High.
- Disable fullscreen optimizations.
- Modify your DNS settings.
- Set high graphics performance for Genshin Impact.
- Turn off hardware acceleration (if applicable).
1] Make sure your network adapter and graphics drivers are updated
The lags in Genshin Impact might be caused because of your corrupted or outdated network driver. Hence, if the scenario is applicable, update your network adapter driver to its latest version and then check if the problem is fixed. Additionally, low FPS issues could be caused because of your faulty graphics driver. So, make sure you update your graphics driver too.
There are different ways to update your network driver and graphics driver on Windows 11/10 PC. You can use the Windows Settings app which is the easiest way. Launch the Settings app and navigate to the Windows Update tab. After that, click on the Advanced options > Optional Updates option and then download & install available device driver updates.
Once done updating the network adapter and graphics drivers, reboot your computer and open Genshin Impact to check if the lagging issue is fixed.
2] Check your internet connection/ Reset IP configurations
You also need to check your internet connection and make sure it is working fine. Check the speed of your internet and see if it is good enough for gaming purposes or not. If your internet’s speed is slow, you will face lagging and FPS drop issues in games like Genshin Impact. Hence, you will have to switch to a high-speed internet connection or upgrade your internet plan to run the game more smoother.
Besides that, you can also try troubleshooting your internet connection issues by performing a power cycle on your networking device i.e., router and modem. Switch off your router and then unplug it. Leave it unplugged for about a minute and then reconnect its power cord to the main switch. Turn it on and reconnect to the internet to check if the problem is resolved or not.
If that doesn’t help, reset your IP configurations and then see if it helps. Here are the steps you can follow to do that:
Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
Enter the below commands one by one:
ipconfig/release ipconfig/all ipconfig/flushdns ipconfig/renew netsh winsock reset
Once done, open Genshin Impact and see if the problem is resolved.
3] Switch to a wired connection
To boost FPS and decrease lags in the Genshin Impact game, you can try using a wired internet connection. Most gaming enthusiasts prefer using a wired internet connection to have a smooth gaming experience. It is considered more reliable for gaming as compared to a wireless connection. So, if possible, you can set up a wired connection and then play the game to check if the lags and FPS drops issues are resolved. If you want to reduce lags with wireless internet only, you can use some other solution to fix the problem.
4] Launch Genshin Impact as an administrator
The problem might also be caused if you lack administrator rights. Certain actions and functions in a game require proper permissions. If you don’t have sufficient ‘permissions to run the game, it is likely to cause performance issues. Hence, launch Genshin Impact as an administrator and then see if the problem is resolved.
To do that, right-click on the desktop shortcut of Genshin Impact and then select the Run as administrator option. If the Genshin Impact game is performing well after running it with admin rights, you can make it launch as an administrator always.
5] Terminate all bandwidth-hogging programs
If there are too many programs running in the background that are consuming your internet bandwidth, you will face lags in Genshin Impact. So, in that case, close all the bandwidth-hogging applications that are not required at the moment to fix the issue. To do that, open Task Manager using Ctrl+Shift+Esc and then use the End task button from the Processes tab to close programs one by one. See if this helps or not. If not, apply the next fix to resolve the issue.
6] Set the game’s priority to High
To boost FPS in Genshin Impact, you can set its priority to High in Task Manager. Here are the steps to do that:
- Firstly, launch Genshin Impact and then open the Task Manager app using Ctrl+Shift+Esc.
- Now, right-click on the Genshin Impact process in the Processes tab and click on the Go to details option.
- After that, in the Details tab, right-click on GenshimImpact.exe.
- Next, go to the Set priority option and choose the High option.
- Once done, try playing the game and see if there is an improvement in FPS or not.
7] Disable fullscreen optimizations
You can also try disabling fullscreen optimizations for Genshin Impact and see if it helps in improving FPS. Here are the steps to do that:
- Firstly, right-click on the main executable file of Genshin Impact and click on the Properties option from the appeared context menu.
- After that, go to the Compatibility tab and checkmark the option called Disable fullscreen optimizations.
- Now, click on the Apply > OK button to save changes.
- When done, reboot your PC and open Genshin Impact to check if the issue at hand is resolved.
8] Modify your DNS settings
There might be some issues with your default DNS server which is why you are experiencing lags in Genshin Impact. Hence, you can switch to a better and more reliable public DNS server to fix these issues. Here, we will show you can set up a Google DNS server on your PC. Follow the below steps:
- Firstly, open the Run command box using the Win+R hotkey and then enter ncpa.cpl in it to bring up the Network Connections window.
- Next, right-click on your active network and select the Properties option from the appeared context menu.
- After that, click on the Internet Protocol (TCP / IP4) option, select the Properties button, choose the Use the following DNS server address option, and then enter the below values:
Preferred DNS server: 184.108.40.206 Alternate DNS Server: 220.127.116.11
- Now, press the OK button and return to the previous window.
- Then, tap on Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), click Properties, and enter the below values:
Preferred DNS server: 2001:4860:4860::8888 Alternate DNS Server: 2001:4860:4860::8844
- Finally, press the OK button and reboot your PC.
Launch Genshin Impact now and see if the issues are resolved.
9] Set high graphics performance for Genshin Impact
You can set high graphics performance for the Genshin Impact game in Windows Settings. It will help you improve FPS. Here’s how to do that:
- First, open Settings and go to System > Display > Graphics.
- Now, browse and add the main executable of Genshin Impact to add it to the list under the Add an app section.
- Next, select the Genshin Impact game and then press Options.
- After that, in the Graphics preference dialog, choose the High performance option.
- Now, reopen the game and check if the problem is resolved or not.
10] Turn off hardware acceleration (if applicable)
If you have enabled hardware acceleration in Chrome and Discord, disable it and then check if it helps you boost FPS in Genshin Impact.
- First, open Chrome, click on the three-dot menu button from the top-right corner and select Settings.
- Now, go to the System tab and disable the toggle associated with the Use hardware acceleration when available option.
- First, launch Discord and click on the User Settings button (gear-shaped icon).
- Now, scroll down to the APP SETTINGS section and tap on the Advanced option.
- Next, switch off the Hardware Acceleration toggle from the right-side panel.
Hopefully, this will help you improve FPS in Genshin Impact.
How can I make Genshin run better on my laptop?
To make Genshin Impact run better and smoother on your PC or laptop, you can try modifying its in-game graphics and visual settings including Render Resolution, Shadow Quality, Visual Effects, SFX Quality, Overall Settings, Bloom, and Crowd Density. It is said that lowering these graphics settings helps in improving gameplay functionality.
Do you need a strong PC for Genshin?
To play Genshin Impact, you need a PC with minimum system requirements of an Intel Core i5 or equivalent CPU, an Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 or higher graphics card, 8GB of memory, and a minimum of 30GB of storage space. Also, it requires a 64-bit Windows PC to run.