In this post, we will show you how to remove or clear Recent Files and Folders auto-suggest history items from Explorer Address bar, using Settings, Explorer Options, Registry, or freeware in Windows 10.
Every Windows user might have observed, whenever he clicks on the ‘down’ arrow or start typing something in the address bar field of File Explorer, a history of all previous locations and URLs appears before him. This could raise privacy or security concerns for some. All the URLs can be deleted by removing them via Registry Editor. In this post, we will see how you can remove or delete Windows File Explorer address bar auto-suggest history items from the drop-down menu.
Clear Recent Files and Folders in Windows 10
You can delete Recent Files and Folders in Windows 10, using the following methods:
- Using Folder Options
- Using Settings
- Using Registry Editor
- Via Explorer address bar
- Delete contents of the Recent items folder
- Using a free tool.
Let us take a look at each of these options.
1] Delete Recent Files and Folders using Folder Options
To delete all File Explorer History in Windows 10:
- Open Folder Options or File Explorer Options as it is now called
- Under the General tab locate Privacy
- Click on the Clear File Explorer history button.
- Click Apply/OK and exit.
2] Remove Recent Files and Folders using Settings
To do this using the Settings app:
- Open Windows 10 Settings
- Select Personalization settings
- Click on Start from the left panel
- Locate Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar
- Turn it Off and then turn it On.
3] Remove Recent Files and Folders using Registry Editor
You can also use the Windows Registry:
- Press Win+R to bring up the Run dialog box. Type regedit and hit Enter.
- Next, in the window that opens, navigate to the following path:
- Once there, select the TypedPaths entry from the list of options available.
- In the right-side panel, you will see url1, url2, etc corresponding to various URLs or paths.
- Right-click on the one you want to delete and select Delete.
This way, you can delete one, more or all of the items.
4] Delete Recent Files and Folders via Explorer address bar
If you wish to delete all address bar history, in Windows 10 you can right-click on the Explorer bar and select Delete history.
5] Delete contents of the Recent items folder
You can also clear recent files & folders by deleting the contents of the Recent items folder:
Open Explorer and navigate to:
The exact location is:
Select all the contents of this folder and delete them.
6] Use a free tool
There are always those several free junk file cleaners that let you achieve all this and more with the click of a button.
Hope this helps.
- Tags: Explorer