Some Windows 11 or Windows 10 PC users are reportedly getting the Client License Service (ClipSVC) service terminated unexpectedly, Error 1067 when trying to download, install or open certain Microsoft Store apps on their device. This post presents the most adequate solutions applicable to this issue.
What is the Client License Service (ClipSVC) service?
The Client License Service (ClipSVC) service provides infrastructure support for the Microsoft Store. This service is started on demand and if disabled applications bought using Windows Store will not behave correctly.
Windows could not start the Client License Service (ClipSVC) service on the Local Computer.
Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.
What is error 1067?
The Error 1067 error code is caused by Windows system malfunction. Corrupted system files are usually a real danger to the performance of a computer. This damaged system file will result in missing or wrongly connected data and data files needed for the optimal working of the application.
When this error occurs on your device, it could be due to any of the following reasons;
- ClipSVC service is disabled
- Outdated Windows version
- Incorrect date & Time
- Bad updates are installed
- Missing hotfix update (KB5015020)
- Store Apps Inconsistency
- Certain Store apps are de-registered
- Corrupted local Store cache
- Corrupted registry data
- System File corruption
Client License Service (ClipSVC) service terminated unexpectedly, Error 1067
If the Client License Service (ClipSVC) service terminated unexpectedly, Error 1067 has occurred on your Windows 11/10 PC when trying to download, install or open certain Microsoft Store apps, you can try our recommended solutions presented below in no particular order (we suggest you exhaust the initial checklist first) and see if your problem is resolved on your device.
- Initial checklist
- Restart and set Client License Service (ClipSVC) service to default values
- Reset or Restore the (ClipSVC) service
- Perform Reset This PC, Cloud Reset or In-place Upgrade Repair
Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved concerning each of the listed solutions.
1] Initial checklist
For possible speedy resolution of this the Client License Service (ClipSVC) service terminated unexpectedly, Error 1067 that has been triggered on your Windows 11/10 PC, before you try the solutions below, complete the following tasks and see if the issue you’re currently facing is resolved.
- Check for updates and install any available bits
- If the error started after a recent Windows update, you can perform System Restore or uninstall the update and then block the update from Windows Update to prevent the bits from re-downloading and re-installing on your device.
- Run SFC and DISM scan. You can run SFC scan and depending on the outcome you may follow up with the DISM scan operation.
- You might be able to resolve the issue automatically using the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter. Simply run the troubleshooter and apply the recommended fix. If the issue is not resolved automatically, also try repairing, resetting, or reinstalling the Microsoft Store using our FixWin utility.
Related read: Error 1067, The process terminated unexpectedly
2] Restart and set Client License Service (ClipSVC) service to default values
To start or restart the Client License Service (ClipSVC) service as the case may be, do the following:
- Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog box, type services.msc and hit Enter to open Services.
- In the Services window, scroll and locate the Client License Service (ClipSVC) service.
- Double-click on the entry to edit its properties.
- In the properties window, click the drop-down on the Startup type and select Manual (Trigger Start).
- Click Apply > OK to save changes.
- Restart PC.
If the error in view reoccurs, you can try the next solution.
3] Reset or Restore the (ClipSVC) service
Since you might be dealing with a corrupted registry entry for the ClipSVC service on your Windows 11/10 device, to attempt to resolve the issue, you can Reset or Restore the (ClipSVC) service. To perform this task, all you need do is to first delete the ClipSVC service, then follow the instructions in this guide to restore the service manually using Registry (.reg) files.
Hopefully, this action should get the service running without termination. Otherwise, try the next solution.
4] Perform Reset This PC, Cloud Reset or In-place Upgrade Repair
At this point, if the error in hand is still unresolved, it’s most likely due to some kind of system corruption that cannot be resolved conventionally. In this case, the applicable solution here is that you can try Reset This PC, or Cloud Reset to reset every Windows component. You may also try In-place Upgrade Repair and see if that helps.
Any of these solutions should work for you!
Related error: ClipSVC (Client License Service) not starting, Error 126
How do I fix error code 1067 in SQL Server?
To fix the issue, you can create a new Domain Account and Window Account using the Administrator privileges. You will need to change the MSSQL Server account using the SQL Server Configuration Manager. After creating the new account, start the server again and try to access the new account.