This post will show you how to use the DISM Tool to repair a Windows System Image in Windows 10/8.1. The System Update and Readiness Tool or CheckSUR tool will scan your Windows computer for inconsistencies, which may be caused by various hardware failures or by software issues and potentially fix that corruption. In Windows 10/8 and Windows Server, the Inbox Corruption Repair brings the functionality of CheckSUR into Windows. You do not require a separate download to get the tool.
Windows Component Store Corrupt
Repair Windows System Image using DISM
If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files and correct the problem. In the case of system inconsistencies and corruptions, you can use the DISM tool by using the Cleanup-Image functionality along with these available switches.
Use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image followed by these switches:
- /ScanHealth: This checks for component store corruption and records that corruption to the C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log but no corruption is fixed using this switch. This is useful for logging what, if any, corruption exists. Use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth. This could take 10-15 minutes.
- /CheckHealth: This checks to see if a component corruption marker is already present in the registry. This is merely a way to see if corruption currently exists. Think of it as a read-only CHKDSK. Use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth. This could take less than a minute.
- /RestoreHealth: This checks for component store corruption, records the corruption to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log and FIXES the corruption using Windows Update. This operation takes 15 mins or more depending on the level of corruption. Use Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
To carry out these operations you have to open an elevated Command Prompt. First, you have to check if there are corruptions and it the corruption or image is repairable. If yes, then you can use the /RestoreHealth switch to fix the corruption.
Inbox Corruption Repair
You can use this:
- If your System File Checker is corrupted or SFC is not working and the SFC /SCANNOW command is unable to repair corrupted system files because the store is corrupted.
- To fix Windows component store corruption when the same Windows Updates continue to appear to be available to install even though they already show successfully installed in update history.
- If a Windows image becomes unserviceable, you can use the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) tool to update the files, correct the problem and repair Windows image. You can use DISM to repair an offline Windows image in a WIM or VHD file or an online Windows image.
Source: Microsoft TechNet.
Incidentally, our freeware FixWin 10 for Windows 10, let you repair the Windows Component Store, in a click. Windows Software Repair Tool from Microsoft will repair system components and detect corrupt files, resync System date and Time, reset System Settings, reinstall System Applications and run the DISM Tool to repair system image, with a click.
See this post if you receive a DISM fails The source files could not be found error message.
- Repair Corrupt Windows Image – Error 0x800f0906
- CheckSUR: System Update Readiness Tool to repair Windows Update
- Manage the OS images effectively with DISM in Windows
- Deployment Image Servicing & Management Tool in Windows
- The remote procedure call failed error.