If while running the DISM Tool, you see DISM Error 0x800f0906, The source files could not be downloaded message, then this post will be able to help you. A few days back, we posted about the repairing of corrupted Windows Image using Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management (DISM) component repair tool. Today, when I was trying the method of our posted article on a computer, I received an error and thus was unable to completely repair a Windows Image.
Here are the details of complete scenario which I faced after running the Windows Component tool:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Image Version: 6.2.9200.16384
The source files could not be downloaded.
Use the “source” option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
Repair Corrupt Windows Image
After doing some research about this error, I found that the following solution may work in this situation. You need to reset SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders. The fix to the error goes like this:
1. Open administrative Command Prompt.
2. Copy the following code and right click paste it into Command Prompt:
net stop wuauserv cd %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution ren Download Download.old net start wuauserv net stop bits net start bits net stop cryptsvc cd %systemroot%\system32 ren catroot2 catroot2old net start cryptsvc
3. That’s it! Close the Command Prompt. Reboot and try to run the DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth again and this time, you won’t receive the error code.
Please follow the steps and if the issue persists, revert back and we will be glad to help you!
See these post if you need more on such subjects:
- Fix DISM Errors 87, 112, 11, 50, 2, 3, 87,1726, 1393, 0x800f081f
- DISM fails in Windows 10, The source files could not be found error.
- Tags: Troubleshoot