There is a tool available from Microsoft that will help you fix Windows 10 problems and issues. Called the Windows Software Repair Tool it is available as a stand-alone application from the Microsoft servers and will automate the task of running a few commands.
Software Repair Tool for Windows 10
When you download the tool, run the executable file. You will be asked to accept the licensing terms.
One you check the I have read and accepted the License Agreement box, click on the Proceed to scan and fix button. You will then see the following screen.
- Create a system restore point
- Repair system components and detect corrupt files. It will run the system file checker
- Resync System date and Time
- Reset System Settings
- Reinstall System Applications
- Run the DISM Tool to restore Component Store health, Restore System health, Repair System Corruption.
- Update your system using Windows Update
- Perform end-of-job works and restart your computer.
The tool appears to have been released for Surface devices but works on all Windows 10 PCs. The Digital Signature bears a time-stamp of 9th Aug 2016, and tool shows the Date modified as 20.08.2016 – so it does appear to have been released/updated recently.
NOTE: You can download the softwarerepairtool.exe file from Microsoft by clicking here. [This was the link http://aka.ms/softwarerepairtool but it appears to have been taken down now by Microsoft]
TIP: Windows 10 users may want to download FixWin10 for Windows 10. It automates these fixes and lets you resolve issues in a click!
If the tool does not help you or if you do not like the changes it has made, you have the option of going back to the created system restore point.