There is a tool available from Microsoft that will help you fix Windows 10 problems and issues. Called the Windows Software Repair Tool it is available as a stand-alone application from the Microsoft servers and will automate the task of running a few commands.
Software Repair Tool for Windows 10
When you download the tool, run the executable file. You will be asked to accept the licensing terms.
One you check the I have read and accepted the License Agreement box, click on the Proceed to scan and fix button. You will then see the following screen.
Once you click the button, the tool will perform the following Windows troubleshooting tasks, which are usually the most suggested fixes for most Windows issues:
- Create a system restore point
- Repair system components and detect corrupt files. It will run the system file checker
- Resync System date and Time
- Reset System Settings
- Reinstall System Applications
- Run the DISM Tool to restore Component Store health, Restore System health, Repair System Corruption.
- Update your system using Windows Update
- Perform end-of-job works and restart your computer.
The tool appears to have been released for Surface devices but works on all Windows 10 PCs. The Digital Signature bears a time-stamp of 9th Aug 2016, and tool shows the Date modified as 20.08.2016 – so it does appear to have been released/updated recently.
You can download the softwarerepairtool.exe file from Microsoft by clicking here. [This was the link http://aka.ms/softwarerepairtool but it appears to have been taken down now by Microsoft]
If the tool does not help you or if you do not like the changes it has made, you have the option of going back to the created system restore point.