If you have faced a situation where you have found that your Windows 10/8 Live Tiles are not working, or in general some tiles are blank, then this article may help you troubleshoot the problem.
Windows Live Tiles Not Working or are Blank
Typically static tiles on the Windows 10/8 Start Menu or screen will show the name of the program and its icon. A Live Tile will flash the latest news or content which the app may want to display. But I received a email recently, where the Windows user said that his Live tile was not being updated, not displaying the count and sometimes not displaying anything at all.
If you are facing this problem, you may want to see if any of these troubleshooting steps help you:
- First, restart explorer.exe and see if that helps. To do this, right-click on taskbar > Task Manager. Under Process tab, search for Windows Explorer. Right-click on it and select Restart.
- Ensure that your screen resolution is at least 1024 x 768 and that your User Account Control is turned on.
- Run the Windows App Troubleshooter
- Repair Windows Apps. Windows 10 users may Reset Windows 10 apps via Settings.
- Check if you have any third-party software which you may have installed just before this problem started. If you think any of them may be causing this problem, uninstall it and see if it helps. Some software like SageThumbs, Shell-integrated codecs, FastPicture Viewer, programs that alter image thumbnails, etc., are known to cause conflicts. Live Tiles use the .jpg and .png file format, so any software which interferes with their default functioning may cause your Tiles to not function properly.
- Switch Local and Microsoft Account and see if it helps.
- Unpin and then again Pin the app tile to the start screen.
- Try uninstalling and reinstalling or repairing the app or software using its Uninstaller.
- Run System File Checker
- Use the Refresh PC feature.
Hope something helps!