Valheim is a popular open-world exploration game designed to discover what the fictional sandbox offers them and survive that world. While the game has taken over the world, some users have faced issues with either the game’s startup, where it refuses to launch or shows constant freezing and stuttering, where the game tends to throw lags and occasional black screens.
Fix Valheim freezing, lagging, crashing, stuttering issues on PC
The following discussion will help you if you face Valheim crashing, freezing, lagging, and stuttering issues on your Windows 11/10 PC:
- Reboot your PC
- Run game as administrator
- Update the game
- Check integrity of game files
- Check background applications or antiviruses
- Update your graphics driver
- Uninstall and reinstall the game.
1] Reboot your PC
If the problem of lagging and glitching has only happened for the first time right now, try the age-old cliche of rebooting your PC. If the problem does not go away, try some of the following methods.
2] Run game as administrator
As is a common issue with new game releases, Valheim might be freezing or stuttering on your PC because the system has not given it the necessary permissions to operate smoothly. A simple solution is to run the game as an administrator. Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Steam and locate Valheim in your game library.
- Right-click on Valheim, take the pointer to ‘Manage,’ and click on ‘Browse local files.’
- A new window will open, allowing you to browse the files on your computer. Now, locate the application file of Valheim, right-click on it, and select ‘Run as administrator.’
- Run the game now and check if the freezing or lagging issue has been solved.
- If it has, then right-click on the Valheim application file, and go to ‘Properties.’
- Under the ‘Compatibility’ tab, check the box next to ‘Run as administrator.’
- Click ‘Apply’ and ‘OK.’
3] Update the game
There is a possibility that you are running an old version of Valheim that is no longer in the control of developers. They are constantly launching new and updated versions of games devoid of bugs and glitches. To update the game, you have to go through a few simple steps.
- Open your Steam profile. Under your game library, locate Valheim.
- Right-click on the game title and select ‘Properties.’
- Click on the ‘Updates’ tab, and click on the drop-down menu in the ‘Automatic Updates’ section.
- From the menu, select ‘Always keep this game updated.’
- Check the ‘Downloads’ tab in your Steam profile if the game is downloading new files.
- Exit and restart Steam, and launch Valheim. Steam will be downloading the necessary files from here on ahead.
4] Check integrity of game files
One of the reasons why Valheim might be lagging, stuttering, or crashing is because of corrupted files. Sometimes, some files might be missing, too. To combat this issue:
- Open your Steam Library and right-click on Valheim.
- Select ‘Properties.’
- Go to the ‘Local Files’ tab, and click on ‘Verify integrity of game files.’
- You will have to wait a few minutes for the systems check.
- Once the check is complete, launch the game to check if the issue has been resolved.
5] Check background applications or antiviruses
If you have some apps running in the background, then there is a possibility that Valheim might stutter and lag. Shut down these apps before you launch the game and check if the lag is gone. Alternatively, disable your antivirus software for the time being and try running the game.
6] Update your graphics driver
Valheim might be glitching because of an outdated or corrupted graphics driver. Repairing it, updating it, or changing it are the only options you have in that case. You can update graphics drivers easily on your own.
- Find out what company manufactures the drivers you are using, e.g., NVIDIA, AMD, Intel, etc.
- Go to the respective company’s website, where you can find the latest versions of the graphics drivers you want.
- Download the version that is best suited for your PC specs, and install the setup. Valheim should run smoothly after installing new drivers.
If you do not want to follow this path, you can employ the help of several online APIs that are specially built to track, analyze, and install the best drivers for your computer.
Read: Troubleshoot Intel Graphics Driver problems.
5] Uninstall and reinstall the game
If you have the time and patience, you can clear all existing files of the game and install it again to ensure that all files have been correctly extracted and set up. However, this is not a feasible option if the glitches are observed after you’ve spent a lot of time playing the game.
Why does Valheim server lag?
Some players experience server lag issues when playing Valheim. Check your game files and update your Network adapter driver along with your Graphics drivers. Also, you must check if your Firewall is not blocking this game or not. If you have installed third-party firewall app, it is suggested to disable it temporarily.
Why does Valheim keep freezing and crashing?
If you are using outdated mods of this game, there is a high chance of getting such issues while playing it on your PC. For your information, it is highly recommended to update such mods frequently so that you do not get those errors. Apart from that, you need to ensure that you have more than the minimum system requirements.
Hope these solutions have worked for you.