A motherboard is the main circuit board in a computer that acts as a backbone. It holds many essential components of a computer, like CPU, RAM, etc., and establishes a connection among them. A motherboard driver is a software that establishes a connection between the motherboard and the operating system. Your computer might not work properly if the motherboard driver is installed incorrectly or fails. Some users are complaining that they have issues with MSI motherboard drivers. According to them, MSI motherboard drivers are not installing on their systems. If you are experiencing such an issue, the solutions provided in this article may help you fix it.
Fix MSI motherboard drivers not installing
The following fixes may help you fix the problem:
- Uninstall the existing Driver.
- Try installing the MSI motherboard drivers from its official website.
- Install the Driver from the chip vendor.
- Check for Windows Optional & Driver Updates.
Let’s talk about these fixes in detail.
1] Uninstall the existing driver
Before installing any driver, it is mandatory to uninstall its previous version. Open the Device Manager and uninstall the motherboard driver that is currently installed on your system. In most cases, the motherboard driver is located under the System Devices node in the Device Manager. Follow the steps below:
- Open the Device Manager.
- Expand the System Devices node.
- Right-click on your motherboard driver and then select the Uninstall device option.
- Select the Delete the driver software for this device checkbox (if available).
- Now, click on the Uninstall button. Follow the on-screen instructions.
After uninstalling the driver, check if you are able to install the new motherboard driver.
2] Try installing the MSI motherboard drivers from its official website
MSI motherboard drivers come in a CD. Users have to insert this CD in the CD drive to install all the essential drivers on their systems. According to the affected users, they are having issues with MSI motherboard driver CD. To fix such an issue, download the MSI motherboard driver from its official website and install it on your system manually.
Follow the steps below:
- To download MSI Motherboard drivers, visit MSI’s official website.
- Select your product category, type, and model number to search for your motherboard driver.
- Now, click on the Drivers tab and select your operating system.
- Download your motherboard driver.
- The driver will be downloaded as a zip file. Right-click on it and select Extract All to unzip the file.
- Open the extracted folder and double-click on the installer file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the MSI motherboard driver on your system. If any issue occurs, run the installer file as an administrator by right-clicking on it.
3] Install the Driver from the chip vendor
You can also download the chipset drivers from the manufacturer’s website. Visit the manufacturer’s website and search the chipset drivers by entering the required details. Apply filters to your search to get more relevant results. If the file is downloaded in zip format, extract it. Now, open the extracted folder and run the setup or installer file to install the driver. Follow the installation wizard to complete the installation process.
After the installation process gets completed, restart your computer.
4] Check for Windows Optional & Driver Updates
Go to Settings and check if there is any pending update available. If yes, install it. Updating the Windows OS to the latest version will also install all the required drivers. Hence, a Windows update can fix the problem.
If you are a Windows 10 user, follow the steps below:
- Right-click on the Start Menu and select Settings.
- Go to “Update & Security > Windows Update.”
- Click Check for Updates. If updates are already available, you will see a message Updates available.
- Click Download to download the available updates. After downloading the updates, restart your computer to install them.
Windows 11 users have to go to follow the below-listed steps:
- Go to “Settings > Windows Update.”
- Click Check for updates.
- If any updates are available, you will see a message, Updates available to download. Now, click on the Download now button.
- When the download completes, restart your computer to install the downloaded updates.
You need to also check for and install Windows Optional & Driver Updates.
Hope this helps.
How do I reset my MSI motherboard BIOS?
If you want to reset BIOS settings to default on your MSI laptop or desktop, press the Power button. As soon as you see the MSI logo, keep pressing the Delete key continuously until you see BIOS Setup Utility. Now, in the Main tab of the BIOS menu, press the F9 key. It will open Load Optimized Defaults pop-up. Press Yes in that pop-up to restore the BIOS setting to factory default.
How do I update my MSI motherboard BIOS?
You can update BIOS on Windows 11/10 for your MSI motherboard with M-Flash, a formatted 32 GB USB drive (FAT32), and internet access to your system. Download the latest BIOS for your motherboard from the official website and create a BIOS-booting USB drive. Restart PC and use Del to enter the BIOS menu. Select M-FLASH for entering the BIOS update environment and select Yes. Select the USB drive with the BIOS file and press Enter to start the BIOS update process.
Read: Laptop Motherboard Repair: Causes & Signs of Motherboard Failure.