In today’s post, we will describe how you can quickly and easily set up the Surface Slim Pen – a redesigned and rechargeable pen that delivers a natural writing and drawing experience for your Surface devices.
The Surface Slim Pen is Microsoft’s latest and greatest in stylus technology – integrated with wireless charging, and better compatibility for the new Surface Pro X. If you don’t care for wireless charging (with the Surface Pro X) or an integrated rechargeable battery, then the classic Surface Pen is a suitable option.
Know the Surface Slim Pen
The numbers on the image above indicates the following:
- Eraser and top button
- LED light
- Right-click and select button
- Pen tip
Pairing the Slim Pen to your Surface device
You need to charge your pen before using it.
You can do this by placing the pen in the storage tray of any of the accessory that ships with the pen – Surface Pro X Signature Keyboard or the USB-C charging base – for 1 second. When you’re ready, use Bluetooth to pair your Slim Pen to a Surface.
- Select Start > Settings > Devices > Add Bluetooth or other device > Bluetooth.
- Press and hold the top button of your pen for 5-7 seconds until the LED light flashes white to turn on Bluetooth pairing mode.
- Select Surface Slim Pen to pair your pen.
If you have a Surface Pro X, there are two ways you can automatically connect your pen to it.
- Place your pen in the storage tray of a Surface Pro X Signature Keyboard, then remove it.
- Use SwiftPair to automatically connect your Slim Pen. You can do this by simply writing on the Surface screen with your pen. A setup experience will appear and help you customize your pen.
Use the top button of the Slim Pen
- Press the top button of your Slim Pen to launch Microsoft Whiteboard.
- To customize the top button shortcuts or change pen settings, do the following:
- Select Start > Settings > Devices > Pen & Windows Ink.
Charging your Surface Slim Pen
To use your pen for the first time, you need to charge it for 1 second to wake it up.
You can charge the Surface Slim Pen with either of the accessory that ships with it – Surface Pro X Signature Keyboard or the USB-C charging base.
The LED light on your pen can tell you when to charge the battery and more. See the table below to understand what each light-state means and what action you might need to take.
|When the light is||It means|
|Flashing white after you press and hold the top button for 5 seconds.||Your pen is in pairing mode and you can pair it with your Surface.|
|Solid white after your select pair on your Surface.||Your pen has successfully paired to your Surface.|
|Fading in and out white when placed in the storage tray of your keyboard or charging base.||Your pen is docked and will charge if necessary.|
|Fading in and out amber.||The battery in your pen is running low.|
And that’s all there is to it. I hope you find this guide helpful enough!