Microsoft is trying to make Windows and Xbox more cohesive. In that quest, it integrated features such as Game mode and Game bar in Windows 11/10 computers. However, they are not perfect. According to some users, the recording option in Game Bar is not working and gives the following error message:
Gaming features aren’t available for the Windows desktop or File Explorer. To start a desktop broadcast, launch a game, and then select Desktop during your broadcast setup.
In this post, we will talk about this error and see how to resolve the issue.
What are Gaming features not available on my computer?
Gaming features aren’t available error message doesn’t mean that these features are installed on your computer. There could be various reasons for the same. The following are some of the most common reasons.
- You may encounter the error if Game Bar isn’t enabled on your system. However, this is not very common as most users are well aware of the fact that they need to enable Xbox Game Bar from Windows Settings.
- One of the most common reasons for the same is misconfigured or corrupted Xbox Game Bar app. Fortunately, this can be fixed using the Settings app on your computer.
- The user may also have to enable other features that will alongside the Game Bar at the time of recording to get rid of this error.
- The worst-case scenario is if your computer files are corrupted. Even though it can be a bit of a hassle repairing those files, they can be repaired and we are going to show how.
Fix Gaming features aren’t available for Windows desktop or File Explorer
If you see Gaming features aren’t available for Windows desktop or File Explorer, try the following solutions.
- Enable Game Bar
- Reset or Repair Xbox Game Bar
- Try starting Game Bar from Microsoft Store
- Enable Game DVR
- Run SFC and DISM
- Repair Windows using Installation Media
Let us talk about them in detail.
1] Enable Game Bar
The first thing you need to do is make sure that Game Bar is turned on on your computer. This is the feature that allows you to record your game, in case, the feature is disabled, the error message in question will appear. To enable Game Bar on a Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, follow the prescribed steps.
- Launch Settings by Win + I.
- Go to Gaming > Xbox Game Bar.
- Then, enable the toggle for Enable Xbox Game Bar using this button on a controller.
Finally, close the Settings app and see if the issue is resolved. Hopefully, this will do the job for you.
2] Reset or Repair Xbox Game Bar
Xbox Game Bar is an app that allows you to record your content. However, in a lot of scenarios, the feature doesn’t work if the app is misconfigured or corrupted. To repair the Xbox Game Bar follow the prescribed steps, and if that doesn’t work, we will reset the app.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Apps > Apps & Features.
- Search out “Xbox Game Bar”.
- Windows 11: Click on the three vertical dots and select Advanced Options.
- Windows 10: Select the app and click on Advanced Options.
- Click on the Repair button and see if that works.
Hopefully, this will do the job for you. In case, this doesn’t work, try repairing the app, to do the same, go to Advanced Options again and click on the Reset button this time. Wait for a minute or two or see if the issue is resolved. This will do the job for you.
3] Try starting Game Bar from Microsoft Store
According to some users, Game Bar started working when they launched the app from Microsoft Store. This is not a solution, but a workaround that’s worth a try. Let us try doing the same and see if that works. So, launch Microsoft Store either from the TaskBar or Start Menu. Now, search for “Xbox Game Bar”, select the app and click on Open (if you don’t have the app, click on Get). Now, try using the Xbox Game Bar. Keep in mind that this is not the ideal case as you may be forced to record the Microsoft Store as well. Hopefully, this will do the job for you.
4] Enable Game DVR
Game DVR feature is required to record games using the Game Bar. If the feature is disabled, the recording won’t work and at times will make the error code in question appear. To enable the feature, follow the prescribed steps.
- Go to Windows Settings.
- Then, click on Gaming > Captures.
- Finally, turn on Record what happened for Windows 11 and Background recording for Windows 10.
You can then relaunch the Game Bar, and try recording. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue for you. In case this doesn’t work, move to the next solution.
5] Run SFC and DISM
To repair corrupted system files, the first thing we should be doing is to run System File Checker and DISM Tools. To do the same, launch Command Prompt as an administrator from the Start Menu. Then, run the following command.
Check if the issue is resolved, in case, the issue persists, run the following command.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Hopefully, this will do the job for you.
6] Repair Windows using Installation Media
If running SFC and DISM commands does not work, try repairing the system files using the Installation Media. This is a long process but it will repair your files surely. Make sure you opt to save existing files and data during the process. Once your files are repaired, check if the issue is resolved.
How do I fix Gaming features aren’t available for Windows desktop or file explorer?
To fix the issue in question, you should execute the solutions mentioned in this post. We recommend you start troubleshooting from the first solution and then move your way down. Hopefully, you will be able to resolve the issue in no time.
How do I enable the Windows Game Bar?
To enable Game Bar in Windows 11/10, all you have to do is follow the steps mentioned in the first solution. This will allow you to record your game pretty easily.