Are you experiencing The game failed to save, Error code 0, 123, 401, 507, 510, 513, 532, etc. on The Sims 4 while playing the game on your Windows 11/10 PC? Some Sims 4 users have complained of getting this error when saving your game progress. In this post, we will discuss what this error is and how you can fix it.
The game failed to save error on The Sims 4 is accompanied by different error codes. These error codes include 0, 123, 401, 507, 510, 513, 532, etc. One example of such an error message is as follows:
The game failed to save. Error Code: 0.
You might receive an error message with a long error code like the below one:
The game failed to save. Error Code: 532:dfff2278:95bf1183.
The code dfff2278:95bf1183 in the above error message may differ for individuals.
These error codes could be triggered in several scenarios. It could be your overprotective antivirus causing interference while saving The Sims 4 game progress. Besides that, corrupted mods, corrupted game cache files, and broken or outdated game files can be other reasons behind these errors. Also, if you are dealing with a corrupted options.ini that contains customized game settings, it will cause errors when saving game progress.
Fix The Sims 4 game failed to save error on PC
To fix The game failed to save, Error code 0, 123, 401, 507, 510, 513, 532, etc. on The Sims 4 while playing the game on your Windows 11/10 PC, here are the methods you can use:
- Temporarily disable your antivirus.
- Delete or move your mods.
- Verify and repair the game files.
- Clear the Origin/The Sims 4 cache files.
- Remove the options.ini file.
- Turn on Online Access and use the Save as feature.
1] Temporarily disable your antivirus
First, you can disable your antivirus briefly and check if the error is fixed. Your overprotective antivirus might be preventing The Sims 4 from saving your game. So, you can switch off your antivirus software and then check if the error is fixed. If yes, you can whitelist The Sims 4 and Origin through your antivirus to fix the error without having to disable your antivirus.
Here’s what to do:
- First, use the Windows Search to launch the Windows Security app.
- After that, click on Virus & threat protection and then tap on the Manage settings option.
- Now, under Exclusions, press the Add or remove exclusions option.
- Next, click on the Add an exclusion > File option and then add the main executable of The Sims 4 game.
- And then, add your game launcher’s executable (Steam, Origin).
- Finally, open the game and see if you can save your game without any errors.
2] Delete or move your mods
Game Mods are added functionalities to get more out of your game. If you are using mods in The Sims 4, it might be the case that some corrupted mods are causing errors while saving the game. If the scenario is applicable, you can simply delete your mods or move the Mods folder to a different location to check if the error is fixed.
- First, press the Win+E shortcut key to open the File Explorer quickly.
- Next, move to the Documents > Electronic Arts folder and open the The Sims 4 folder.
- After that, go to the Mods folder, press CTRL+A to select all the files, and press the Delete button to clear all the mods.
- If you want to move mods to a different folder, select the files in the Mods folder and press the CTRL+X > CTRL+V hotkey to cut and paste the files to another location on your computer.
- Finally, open the game and check whether the error is resolved.
3] Verify and repair the game files
If there are some corrupted or broken game files, you might run into errors like The game failed to save error. Hence, repair your game files and see if The Sims 4 game failed to save error is gone.
- First, open the Origin client and go to your Game Library.
- Now, right-click on The Sims 4 game, and from the context menu, choose the Repair option.
- Once the task is complete, you can reopen the game and check if the error is fixed.
- First, open Steam, go to LIBRARY, and right-click on The Sims 4.
- Now, choose the Properties option from the context menu.
- In the opened window, move to the Installed Files tab and click on the Verify the integrity of game files button.
- Steam will start verifying and repairing the game files of The Sims 4.
- When done, reopen the game, play it, and see if you can save the game without any error.
Related: Fix The Sims 4 Lagging on Windows PC.
4] Clear the Origin/The Sims 4 cache files
The next thing you can do to fix the error is clear the Origin cache and The Sims 4 cache files. Here are the steps to do that:
First, close Origin completely and open the Run command box using Win+R.
Now, enter %ProgramData%/Origin in the Open box and clear all the files inside the LocalContent folder in the appeared location.
Similarly, clear the Origin folder from the %AppData% and %LocalAppData% locations.
Next, use Win+E to open the File Explorer and navigate to Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4.
After that, delete the localthumbcache.package file.
Finally, relaunch Origin and The Sims 4 to check if the error is resolved.
5] Remove the options.ini file
The error might occur due to a broken options.ini file associated with The Sims 4 game. It basically contains all your customized game options. So, delete this file to reset your game to its original options and eventually fix The game failed to save error. Here’s how to do that:
First, open File Explorer using Win+E and navigate to the Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 folder. Now, locate the options.ini file and delete it or move it to your desktop or another location. Next, relaunch the game and see if the error is gone.
6] Turn on Online Access and use the Save as feature
You can also enable the Online Access feature in the game and make sure to use the Save as feature to save your game. Here’s how to do that:
First, open The Sims 4 and access the Game Options. After that, move to the Other tab and enable the checkbox associated with the Online Access option.
Once done, click on the Apply Changes button to apply new settings.
Now, go back to your game and use the Save as option to check if the error is gone.
I hope this helps!
How do you force save Sims 4?
If The Sims 4 is frozen, you can force save the game by pressing the Alt+F4 hotkey and then clicking on the Save and Exit option in the appeared prompt. Doing so will save your game and then close it. Another method you can use is to press the Ctrl+Shift+C hotkey and enter “quit” in the command box. A game-saving window will appear; click on the Save button to save your game. You can now restart your game without losing the previous progress.
Why does my Sims download keep failing?
If you are unable to download, install, or update The Sims 4 game on your PC, make sure your internet is working fine. Besides that, you can also try resetting the installation folder for Sims 4. For that, open the Origin client and go to Application Settings. Now, move to the Installs and Saves tab to change the installation folder and then see if the problem is resolved.