In the ever-evolving land of Artificial intelligence, ChatGPT, a language model has become an integral part. However, recently, some users have noticed that ChatGPT is not saving their conversations, previous searches, or requests. If you are in the same situation as other users, then this post will help you.
Why is ChatGPT not saving my chats?
One of the most common reasons for ChatGPT not saving the conversation is due to a slow Internet connection, where there is no communication between the ChatGPT server and the device. Other reasons include temporary glitches, third-party extensions, and corrupted caches.
ChatGPT not saving conversations
If you want to re-visit your conversation but you cannot as ChatGPT is unable to save the conversations; execute the solutions mentioned below:
- Check the Internet connection
- Log out and re-login
- Enable chat history
- Disable third-party extension
- Delete browser cache
- Access ChatGPT support
Let’s see all of these solutions in detail.
1] Check the Internet connection
First thing first, if you want to save time when dealing with issues related to ChatGPT, make sure that the Internet is top-notch. More often than not, users face problems due to a slow Internet connection.
In this situation, the same thing can stop the communication between ChatGPT input and the server, causing the conversation to stop loading. Therefore, we are going to check the bandwidth of the network using one of the Internet Speed Testers, and power cycle the router to fix issues concerning the network. Once done, check again if conversations are now saving or not.
2] Log out and re-login
Conversation not saving issues can also be the result of current log-in sessions. Logging out and then logging back in helps with connection as well as session-related issues, as doing so establishes a new connection between the device and the ChatGPT server. This also clears out the current session, resolving potential glitches and bugs.
To log out of the session, click on the profile icon from the bottom left corner. Now, hit the Log out option; once done, re-log into the account, and hopefully, you will be able to see the previous conversations.
3] Enable chat history
If due to privacy or any other reasons, you have disabled conversation history, then it’s another reason for unsaved conversation. To reverse this issue, simply enable it, and then check whether or not conversations are now saving or not.
To enable chat history:
- Click on the Profile icon and select Settings.
- Navigate to the Data Control tab.
- Once there, switch on the Chat history and training option.
Do the same procedure for all the devices you are using ChatGPT on.
4] Disable third-party extension
Third-party extensions are known to be notorious when it comes to interfering with this kind of apps. They interfere with local storage where session data or conversation history are stored, as well as intercept network requests made by the browser.
Follow the steps to disable extensions:
- Click on the three dots to open Settings and more.
- Now select the Extension options, or you can directly go to “chrome://extensions/”.
- Click the toggle switch next to the extension that is notorious for interfering with ChatGPT and other apps, and switch it off.
- Click the three horizontal dots in the top-right corner to open the menu.
- Select Extensions and select one extension.
- To disable it, toggle off the switch next to it.
To find the culprit, repeat the process until you find the one causing this issue. If disabling them did not seem to be the solution, see the next solution.
Related: ChatGPT Conversation not found
5] Delete browser cache
Browser Cache can get corrupted and then start interfering with the browser and its components. We are going to delete them, and fingers crossed, this issue won’t persist.
- Launch your browser and go to the settings.
- Now select Privacy and Security > Clear browsing data.
- Tick all three boxes and then select the Clear Data button.
- Click the three horizontal dots, and select Settings.
- Now, click on the Privacy, searches and services tab.
- Select Choose what to clear, and then Time Range.
- Click on All Time, tick all the boxes, and lastly, select the Clear Now button.
Check if the issue was due to corrupted caches or not.
6] Access ChatGPT support
Last but not least, if nothing works, then reach out to ChatGPT Support through your profile icon and explain in detail the issues and the already executed solutions. They’ll reach out to you and hopefully will be able to fix the issue.
How do I delete a chatGPT conversation?
Deleting a conversation or previous searches is pretty easy, go to the search that you want to delete, click on the three dots beside it, and select the Delete option or Dustbin sign. Voila, there will be no trace of whatever your conversation was about.