While trying to install extensions from the Microsoft addon store, Edge users have reported seeing An error has occurred, Download interrupted. The problem also occurs while downloading files from different websites. You should not fret because you are not the only one currently getting the error message. What’s important is that there are multiple solutions you can try to get rid of the problem and bring Microsoft Edge back to working form. So, let’s begin.
An error has occurred, Download interrupted in Microsoft Edge
Here are some suggestions that may help you resolve the An error has occurred, Download interrupted issue in Microsoft Edge.
- Clear browser cache & restart Microsoft Edge
- Update Microsoft Edge
- Repair Microsoft Edge
- Disable unnecessary extensions
- Reset Microsoft Edge settings
So, let’s take a detailed look at all these solutions.
1] Restart Microsoft Edge
The first thing you can try whenever you face the problem in the question is to clear the Edge browser cache and then restart Microsoft Edge. As it turns out, the error message can be temporary and can be fixed with this simple suggestion.
2] Update Microsoft Edge
The problem in the question is prevalent among users who are not having the latest Microsoft Edge installed on their system. Each update comes with performance improvement and bug fixes. Thus, it’s essential to download the newest version of Microsoft Edge to get rid of the mentioned problem. Here are the steps to follow to update Microsoft Edge.
- To begin with, launch Microsoft Edge on your Windows PC.
- Click on the three-dots present at the top right corners.
- In the menu that pops up, click on Help and feedback.
- Select About Microsoft Edge from the context menu.
- In the following window, you will see the Microsoft Edge about page.
- If there is any available update, it will automatically begin to download, followed by installation.
Once you have downloaded the latest version of Microsoft Edge, reboot the browser and check if you are still facing the problem.
3] Repair Microsoft Edge
If downloading the latest version doesn’t fix the problem, you can try the Microsoft Edge repair feature. It helps to get rid of any temporary bug or glitch causing the problem in the question. You can repair Microsoft Edge by following the below steps.
Note: Repairing Microsoft Edge will reinstall the browser. But don’t worry; it will not have any impact on the browser data and settings.
- Go to Windows Settings by pressing the Windows + I shortcut key.
- Click on Apps present on the left panel of the screen.
- In the following Window, select Apps and features.
- Here you will find a list of all the installed applications.
- Locate Microsoft Edge, and click on the three-dots present next to the name.
- From the context menu, choose Modify.
- If UAC pops up, click on Yes.
- Microsoft Edge repair window will pop up.
- Click on the Repair option to begin the process.
Microsoft Edge will be downloaded, followed by installed on your system. It will resolve any issue revolving around the browser.
4] Disable unnecessary extensions
Different extensions installed on Microsoft Edge can be another significant reason behind the problem you are currently facing. As a solution, disable all the unnecessary extensions on Microsoft Edge. You can do it by following the below steps.
- First off, launch Microsoft Edge on your system.
- Click on the three dots, and from the menu that pops up, choose Extensions.
- Click on Manage extensions.
- Disable the toggle present next to all the unnecessary extensions.
Once done, relaunch the browser and check if you’re still facing the problem.
5] Reset Microsoft Edge settings
If none of the steps helped solve the problem, the last thing you can try is reset the settings. The solution has helped many users to get rid of the issue, and hopefully, it will help you as well. You can reset Microsoft Edge settings by following the below steps.
- Open Microsoft Edge, and click on three dots.
- Select Settings from the menu.
- Click on the Reset settings option present at the left final of the screen.
- Select Restore settings to their default values.
- Click on Reset to confirm your selection.
Wait until the process is complete. Once done, you will see that you no longer face the problem.
How do I fix download interrupted in Edge?
There are multiple ways to fix download interrupted errors in Edge. But among all, the one that has helped many users is resetting Microsoft Edge settings. You can do it by following these steps: open Edge > go to settings > Reset settings > Restore settings to their default values.
How do I change Microsoft Edge appearance?
It’s very easy to change Microsoft Edge appearance. You can do it by following these steps: open Edge > three-dots > Settings > Appearance. You can choose the appearance you want.
Read Next: Fix Microsoft Edge is showing blank white screen.