If the error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000012d), keeps troubling you, then this post may help. The error usually occurs if there is a problem with the application’s dependencies or conflicts with other system components. The error message reads:
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000012d). Click Ok to close the application.
Fortunately, you can follow some simple suggestions to fix the error.
Fix The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000012d)
To fix the Error 0xc000012d, Application was unable to start correctly while starting an application on Windows 11/10, follow these suggestions:
- Update Device Drivers
- Run SFC and DISM
- Run the Application as an Admin
- Update Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- Roll Back Windows Update
- Allow Full Control to the App’s exe File
- Troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode
- System Restore to a point before the error occurred
Let’s now see these in detail.
1] Update Device Drivers
Firstly, start by updating your device drivers. This is because outdated or corrupted drivers can sometimes be the reason why error 0xc000012d occurs.
2] Run SFC and DISM
Corrupted system files are another reason why your application may have trouble starting. Running SFC and DISM scans can scan and repair these files easily. Here’s how:
- Click on the Windows key and search for Command Prompt.
- Click on Run as Administrator.
- Type the following commands one by one and hit Enter:
For SFC: sfc/scannow
For DISM: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Restart your device once done and check if the error is fixed.
3] Run the Application as an Admin
The error 0xc000012d, Application Was Unable to Start Correctly, can also occur due to lack of permissions. Running the executable file as an admin can help fix the error. To do so, right-click on the exe file and select Run as Administrator.
4] Update Visual C++ Redistributable
C++ Redistributable are runtime library files that allow using pre-developed code and installing multiple apps. If its packages get outdated or corrupted, programs and applications may malfunction. To fix this, you’ll have to install the required version again. Here’s how you can update Visual C++ Redistributable.
5] Roll Back Windows Update
If the error 0xc000012d started after updating Windows, consider uninstalling the update. To uninstall an update, follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.
- In the Uninstall or view a program page click on View Installed Updates.
- Right-click on the recently installed update and select Uninstall.
Nevertheless, if it occurred after installing a Feature Update, this post will show you how to roll back the Feature Update.
6] Allow Full Control to the App’s exe File
Wrong file permissions can also be why the application was unable to start correctly error occurs. Grant full control to the file and see if the error occurs. Here’s how:
- Right-click on the exe file and select Properties.
- Navigate to the Security tab and click on Edit.
- Select your user account under Group or user names and check the Full Control option below.
- Click on Ok to save the changes and close Properties.
- Try opening the file and see if the error gets fixed.
Be careful before you do this and be sure that you trust the application completely!
7] Troubleshoot in Clean Boot Mode
Performing a Clean Boot will start Windows with minimal drivers and startup programs to help determine if a background program is interfering with the program. If the game runs smoothly in the clean boot mode, manually enable one process after another and which one the culprit is. Once you’ve identified it, disable or uninstall that software.
8] System Restore to a point before the error occurred
If the error 0xc000012d still isn’t fixed, perform a system restore. It will repair your device by reinstalling the previous version of Windows you’ve saved in the restore point. Here’s how you can perform a System Restore. Note that this can be done only if you’ve created a System Restore Point earlier.
We hope these suggestions have helped you.
Other similar The application was unable to start correctly errors:
- The application was unable to start correctly, Errors 0xc000003e, 0xc0000102, 0xc00000ba or 0xc0150002
- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)
- The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135)
- The application failed to initialize properly 0xc0000005
- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022)
- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018)
- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000017)
- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b).
What is error code 0xc000012d on Windows?
The error code 0xc000012d usually occurs while trying to run an invalid Windows executable file. It can occur if the file doesn’t have the necessary permissions or was downloaded from an untrusted source.
How do I fix error 0xc000012d?
To fix the error 0xc000012d while opening an application, update Visual C++ Redistributable and roll back Windows Update. If that doesn’t help, perform a system restore to the point before the error occurred.