Microsoft has released a Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter that will automatically diagnose any problems that you may be facing while installing or uninstalling programs or software in Windows 11/10/8/7. This tool will help you fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed. You can uninstall programs on Windows 10 that cannot be uninstalled.
Microsoft has retired the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and its place, released this Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter.
Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter
Use this Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter, if you find that you are unable to install or uninstall a program via your Control Panel.
Once you download and run it, it will ask you if you would like it to only detect the problem and let you select what to fix, or if you would like it to detect and fix the issues directly.
Next, it will ask you if you are facing problems while installing the program or uninstalling the programs.
Finally, it will check the registry and the system for any problems and then present you with options or fix them directly as the case may be.
This Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter will help fix:
- Corrupted registry keys on 64-bit operating systems
- Corrupted registry keys that control the update data
- Problems that prevent new programs from being installed
- Problems that prevent existing programs from being completely uninstalled or updated
- Problems that block you from uninstalling a program through Add or Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) in Control Panel.
You may be aware that the Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe) has been retired. While the Windows Installer Cleanup utility resolved some installation problems, it sometimes damaged other components installed on the computer. Because of this, the tool has been removed from the Microsoft Download Center.
The Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter is a replacement for Windows Installer Cleanup Utility!
Use this troubleshooter for an uninstall only if the program fails to uninstall using the Windows Control Panel or Add/Remove Programs feature.
You can get the troubleshooter from its download page. It works on Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7.
If this troubleshooter does not solve your problems, you may see some additional troubleshooting steps mentioned in KB2438651.
If for some reason you are unable to uninstall programs in Windows 10/8/7, you may find the following links helpful:
- How to uninstall programs in Safe Mode
- Uninstall programs using Registry
- Free Uninstallers for Windows.
See this post if you receive the following error messages:
- Please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed
- There is a problem with this Windows Installer package
- The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable
- Another installation is already in progress
- Access is Denied error while installing software.