Call of Duty is a game where even the thought of losing progress is daunting. However, this is happening to a lot of gamers. Call of Duty is not saving progress and they have to start a fresh game every single time. In this post, we will discuss this topic and see what you can do when Call of Duty is not saving your campaign progress.
Fix Call of Duty not saving progress
If Call of Duty is not saving your game or campaign progress, unfortunately, there is no way to get the saved content back. However, we can make some changes to the game’s setting such that it saves the progress henceforth. Follow the solutions mentioned below to resolve the issue.
- Check if your progress is actually lost
- Make sure that you have sufficient space
- Allow Call of Duty through Controlled folder and Firewall
- Check if the Config file is Write Protected
- Verify the integrity of game files
Let us talk about them in detail.
1] Check if your progress is actually lost
If don’t see an option to resume your game in Call of Duty Black Ops, don’t assume that your progress is not saved. First of all, go to the main menu, select Zombies. It might throw an error, just ignore it and hit Back. Once the movie ends, go to the Campaign again and hit Resume. However, if your progress is actually lost, move to the next solution.
2] Make sure that you have sufficient space
Next up, we need to check and ensure that there is enough space on the drive for the game to save your progress. As mentioned earlier, Call of Duty writes to a folder that’s present locally on your system and most likely it will be in the C drive. However, we don’t have the exact number how much space COD needs to save progress. So, you can make an assumption based on the storage that’s left to know if you need to clear your storage.
3] Allow Call of Duty through Controlled folder and Firewall
One of the most common reasons why COD is not saving progress is that it doesn’t have access to the location where the game is supposed to be stored. This is due to the fact that your antivirus or Windows Defender has overstepped its boundaries and taken control of the folder. However, we can make some amendments to the Windows Security settings to get things back on track. We will allow the game through the firewall as that will do the job. Do keep in mind that if you have a third-party antivirus, you need to allowlist the game there as well. Follow the steps given below to do the same.
- Search out “Windows Security” from the Start Menu.
- Navigate to Virus & threat protection.
- Go to Ransomware Protection and click on Manage ransomware protection.
- Turn on Controlled folder access if it is off.
- Now, go to Allow apps through Controlled folder access.
- Find COD and add it to the exception. In case, you can’t find the app, click on Browse all apps, go to the location, add it, and add it to the exception.
Next up, allow Call of Duty through Windows Firewall. Finally, check if the issue is resolved. Hopefully, this will do the job for you.
4] Check if the Config file is Write Protected
The Config file of Call of Duty decides how the game will behave. Sometimes, we manually make adjustments to the Config file or an update make amendments to it and that makes it Write Protected. In that case, you need to go Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Call of Duty Black Ops\players\save. Do keep in mind if you have selected a custom location to save the game or if you are not using COD Black Ops only take the path as a reference to locate the Config file. Once you are inside the file, look at line numbers 499 and 500 or just search for “.svg file. The lines that are looking for have the following entries.
- seta sv_lastSaveCommitedToDevice “save\cuba-2.svg”
- seta sv_lastSaveGame “save\cuba-2.svg”
You need to edit “save\cuba-2.svg” on both lines to the save file you want to load. Finally, save the edited file, and move to the next solution before loading the game.
Read: Best Call of Duty names
5] Verify the integrity of game files
If you are able to find the aforementioned entries or if you fail to do so, this solution can do the trick for you. We will scan COD for corrupted and missing game files and then implement the required solution. Follow the steps given below to verify the game files.
- Launch Steam and navigate to Library.
- Right-click on Call of Duty and select the Properties option.
- Move to the LOCAL FILES tab.
- Finally, click on the VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES button.
- Open the Battle.net client and navigate to your game.
- Click on the Gear icon associated with it and select Scan and Repair.
- Now click on Begin Scan and wait for the process to complete.
At last, restart your computer and then launch the game. Hopefully, this will do the job for you.
Why is my campaign progress not saving Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2?
The reason why your progress is not saving in Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Black Ops, or any other version is that your antivirus is blocking the game from accessing the location where it needs to save the file. You can make amendments to the security settings as that will do the trick for you.
How do you save on COD?
You don’t have to manually save the progress in Call of Duty as it does that automatically. When you install the game, you give it permission to access a folder where it writes all the game data and saves your progress.