The humble Notepad in Windows is one of the most used programs. It is a very basic text editor you can use for simple documents. Let us have a look at some Notepad tips and tricks that will help you get the best out of it.
Notepad Tips and Tricks
Most of us don’t even bother to see what it has to offer, preferring instead to use it in its default state. Here are a few very basic tips to help you get the maximum out of it!
1) To add a date and time stamp to an open Notepad, simply hit F5.
You will see it displayed as : 23:37 10-05-2010
2) At the first line of a Notepad file, type: .LOG
This will put a timestamp at the end of the file, every time you open it.
3) To change the font used in Notepad, click Format > Font and select the font and style you prefer!
4) To customize the Page setup, size & side margins, click on File > page Setup to see the options.
5) The Status Bar appear at the bottom of the Notepad and gives information like the number of Lines and the number of columns, the text is occupying. See how to enable Status Bar in Notepad.
6) You can remove or change Notepad headers and footers. If you open Notepad > File > Page Setup, you will see that the default header and footer settings are:
- Headers: &f
- Footers: Page &p
These commands will display the title of the document on the top & page number at the bottom.
To change headers and footers, you can use the following commands in the Header & Footer fields given in the Page Setup box:
- &l Left-align the characters that follow
- &c Center the characters that follow
- &r Right-align the characters that follow
- &d Print the current date
- &t Print the current time
- &f Print the name of the document
- &p Print the page number
If you leave the Header or Footer text box empty, no header or footer will print. You can also insert words into the Header and Footer text box and they will print in their appropriate position. All header and footer setting must be entered manually each time you want to print a document. These settings cannot be saved.
7) To make the text align to the right side, right click inside the Notepad and select Right to left reading order.
8) If your Notepad is not working properly, this is how you can reset Notepad to default settings.
You migh want to also take a look at the new features in Notepad in Windows 10 v1809.
These Notepad posts may also interest you:
- Add “Open with Notepad” to the Context Menu for All Files
- Who wrote the Notepad?
- Hide data in a secret Notepad file
- How to add Tabs to Notepad
- Glass Notepad for Windows.
Windows 10 users may want to move on and read Windows 10 Tips and Tricks.