This post features solutions to fix AADSTS9002313, Invalid Request activation error in Microsoft 365 apps. Microsoft 365, offers some of the most collaborative and up-to-date features in the single integrated experience. It offers various Office desktop apps like Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc. But recently, some users have been complaining about this activation error AADSTS9002313. The complete error message reads:
Sorry, but we’re having trouble signing you in.
AADSTS9002313: Invalid Request. Request is malformed or invalid.
Fix AADSTS9002313, Invalid Request Microsoft 365 activation error
You can fix the AADSTS9002313, Invalid Request, Request is malformed or invalid activation error in Microsoft 365, by following these suggestions:
- Uninstall multiple copies of Office from your device
- Check the Microsoft 365 Subscription Status
- Use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant
- Repair and Reset Office
- Activate Office in Clean Boot State
- Remove Cached Office Identities in Registry Editor
- Repair Office 365 Online
Now let us see these in detail
1] Uninstall multiple copies of Office from your device
Before getting started with different troubleshooting methods, check if your device has multiple versions of Office installed. If your device has multiple office versions installed, it could be the reason why this error code occurs. Uninstall these and check if the activation error AADSTS9002313 invalid request gets fixed.
2] Check the Microsoft 365 Subscription Status
Now check if you have a subscription to Office 365 and make sure it is still active. If not, renew your subscription and try again. Here is how you can do it:
- Close all Office apps on your Windows device.
- Navigate to your Microsoft Account page.
- If asked to sign in, enter your account credentials.
- Navigate to Services & subscriptions and check the Office’s subscription status.
3] Use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant
Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant can help resolve Office 365, Outlook, OneDrive, & other Office related problems. The tool can help you resolve problems with windows Activation, Updates, Upgrade, Office Installation, Activation, Uninstallation, Outlook email, folders, etc. Run it and see if it helps.
4] Repair or Reset Office via Settings
The error may likely lie within the app’s core files. To fix this, repair or reset Microsoft Office. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Navigate to Apps > Installed Apps > Office.
- Scroll down, click on Repair and see if it has helped.
- If not, then use the Reset option and see.
5] Activate Office in Clean Boot State
Third-party applications installed on your device can be responsible why the error code AADSTS9002313 while activating Office. Perform a Clean Boot of your PC to restrict all third-party applications. Here’s how you can perform a clean boot:
- Click on Start, search for System Configuration and open it.
- Navigate to the General tab and check the Selective Startup option and the Load System Services Option under it.
- Then navigate to the Services tab and check the option Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click on Disable all at the bottom right corner and hit Apply, then Ok to save changes.
If the error doesn’t appear in the Clean Boot State, you may need to manually enable one process after another and see who the culprit is. Once you’ve identified it, disable or uninstall the software.
6] Remove Cached Office Identities in Registry Editor
If you can still not fix the issue, removing the cached Office identities in the Registry Editor can help. These cached identities can get corrupted sometimes and cause activation errors. Here’s how you can remove these:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type regedit and hit Enter.
- Once the Registry Editor opens, navigate to the following path:
- Right-click in the right pane, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and rename the value as EnableADAL.
- Double-click on the EnableADAL key and set the Value Data as 1.
- Close the Register Editor, restart your device, and check if the error gets fixed.
7] Repair Office 365 Online
If none of these steps could help you, consider repairing Office 365 online. It has been known to help most users get over this error. Here’s how to do it:
- Press Windows Key + I to open Settings.
- Click on Apps > Apps & Features.
- Now scroll down, click on the office product you want to repair, and select Modify.
- Click Online Repair and follow the instructions on-screen.
How do I fix a problem with Office 365 license?
Check if you have a subscription to Office 365 and make sure it is still active. If not, renew your subscription and try again. However, third-party applications installed on your device can be responsible for why Office 365 license errors occur while activating Office. Perform a Clean Boot of your PC to restrict all third-party applications and check if the error gets fixed.
Read: How to troubleshoot Office Activation problems and errors
How do I fix Product activation failed?
Try removing the cached Office identities in the Registry Editor. These cached identities can get corrupted sometimes and cause activation errors. If nothing works, consider repairing Office 365 online.