Has your Microsoft Office installation got corrupted? Are your Office programs not working properly? In this case, rather than go for an uninstall – reinstall, you might want to repair Microsoft Office 2019/2016/2013/2010/2007 installation, first. Here are the steps you will have to take to repair Microsoft Office, Office for Business, Office 365 Home, and Business editions.
Repair Office 2019/2016
Open Control Panel and click Programs and Features.
Right-click the Office program that you want to repair, and select Change.
Next click Repair > Continue. Office will start repairing the apps.
Once the process is completed, restart your computer.
Online Repair of Office
You can also carry out Online Repair for Office 2019/2016 or Office 365.
Quick Repair runs faster but only detects and replaces corrupted files. Online Repair takes longer, but does an uninstall and a complete repair.
Switches to help you troubleshoot and repair Microsoft Word
- To simply reset the Word registry values to default type winword /r in start search and hit Enter.
- To prevent Word from loading the macros type winword /m and hit Enter.
- To prevent Word from loading its add-ins, type winword /a and hit Enter.
Uninstall – Reinstall Office
- Open Control Panel and click Programs and Features.
- Double click Office.
- The program will start its un-installation process
- On completion, restart the computer
Now you can go in for a fresh install of Office again.
Uninstall individual Office programs
You cannot uninstall individual Office programs. If you want to install only specific Office programs, you must uninstall Office 2010 first, and then reinstall it using a custom installation, and select the programs that you want to install.
Install only select programs in Office
- Start the installation of your Office suite.
- In the Choose the installation you want dialog box, click Customize.
- On the Installation Options tab, right-click the program(s) that you do not want to be installed.
- Click Install now to complete the custom installation.
Repair Office 2019/2016 via Windows Settings
Windows 11/10 offers repair features which replace some of the core files with original files.
- Open Windows Settings, and then select Apps and Features.
- Scroll to find your Microsoft Office installation, and click on it, and then click on Modify.
- It will open a window.
- Choose Quick Repair or Online Repair and then click on the Repair button.
In Windows 10 you will see this UI:
When you choose to repair, you might get two options. It depends on how the Microsoft Office was installed, i.e., Web Installer or Offline installer (MSI based).
- Web Installer: When prompted how would you like to repair Office, select Online Repair > Repair. Do not use Quick repair option here.
- MSI-based: In “Change your installation”, select Repair and then click Continue.
The repair process makes sure that the app data remains untouched.
See this if you cannot uninstall Microsoft Office. Have a look at Office Configuration Analyzer Tool. It will help you analyze & identify Office program problems.
How to repair, update or uninstall Microsoft Office Click-to-Run may also interest you.