Some users noticed a process named SmartByteTelemetry.exe running in the background on their systems. This process belongs to the SmartByte app or software which is bloatware and comes pre-installed on Dell computers. When you see a process with a strange name in the Task Manager, you may wonder whether it is a virus or a genuine file. In this article, we will see what SmartByteTelemetry.exe is and whether you should remove it.
What is SmartByteTelemetry.exe?
As explained above, the SmartByteTelemetry.exe is a process that belongs to the SmartByte app. Since the SmartByte app comes pre-installed in some Dell systems, it is considered Bloatware. The users who noticed SmartByteTelemetry.exe on their systems experienced a drop in their internet speeds. They performed a speed test. The result showed them the internet speed of 100 Mb/s on their systems and 400 Mb/s on other devices. However, terminating the process via the Task Manager brought the internet speed back to 400 Mb/s from 100 Mb/s.
Should you remove SmartByte?
SmartByte is bloatware. Bloatware is a software that comes pre-installed on a computer system. Devices of different brands may have different bloatware. You can keep bloatware on your devices until it does not start causing issues on your system. In the case of SmartByte, some Dell users experienced slow internet speeds due to it. Therefore, if you are experiencing issues on your Dell computer due to SmartByte, you can remove SmartByte.
Is it ok to uninstall SmartByte?
SmartByte is genuine software. According to the users, uninstalling SmartByte did not create any problems on their systems. Hence, you can uninstall it if it is causing issues on your system. But before you proceed, it is better if you check for its updated version or contact Dell support for the same.
You should also know that there are some viruses or malware that trick users by displaying their names as genuine processes. Hence, the processes that you see in the Task Manager may or may not be viruses. You can check this by viewing their digital signatures. Genuine processes are digitally signed by their vendors. To do so, follow the steps written below:
- Open the Task Manager.
- Right-click on a process and select Open file location.
- File Explorer will open up and an exe file will be highlighted. Now, right-click on the highlighted exe file and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Digital Signatures tab. You will see the name of the signer. To view more information, click on the Details button.
Hence, if you see a process with a weird name in the Task Manager, you should see its digital signature.
How to uninstall SmartByte?
You can uninstall SmartByte from your system via Windows 11/10 Settings or the Control Panel. Open Windows 11/10 Settings and go to “Apps Installed apps” or “Apps > Apps & features.” Now, look for the SmartByte app and uninstall it.
Some programs are not listed in the Control Panel and also missing from Windows 11/10 Settings. If such a thing happens to you, you can use other ways to uninstall the programs that are not listed in the Control panel.
If the SmartByte app is listed in Windows 11/10 Settings but the uninstall button is greyed out, don’t bother because you can still uninstall it via the Command Prompt or the PowerShell.
Alternatively, you can also use the best free Bloatware or Crapware removal tools for Windows 11/10.
Some users stated that the SmartByte app gets installed by itself every time they restart their systems. In such a case, you can disable the SmartByteTelemetry process permanently. To do so, you have to use Windows Services Manager. Follow the steps written below:
- Click on Windows Search and type services.
- Select the Services app from the Search Results.
- In the Services app, look for the SmartByteTelemetry service or the service that represents the SmartByte app (it should have a name identical to the SmartByte app).
- If you find it, right-click on it and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, make sure that you are under the General tab.
- Select Disabled in the Startup type.
- Click Apply and then click OK.
How do I turn off SmartByte on my Dell?
If your internet speed is affected due to the SmartByte app, Dell recommends you first check for its updated version. Update SmartByte and then see if the issue is resolved. If the issue persists even after updating the SmartByte app, you can turn it off. The following steps will help you with that:
- Click on Windows Search and type SmartByte.
- Select the SmartByte app from the Search Results.
- Click on the slider to the right of the SmartByte to turn it off.
I hope this helps.