At times it may happen that you are without a keyboard and a mouse and yet you’d like to use your Windows PC – or maybe your Keyboard or Mouse is not working. This article will tell you how you can set your Windows 11/10/8/7 to do so. This article may also help those who are experiencing some disability that may be preventing you from using the mouse or the keyboard.
How do I use Windows 11/10 without a mouse or keyboard?
If your keyboard or mouse is not working properly, you can enable the on-screen keyboard and use the numeric keypad as a mouse. In Windows 11, both of these options are available in Settings. If you are not a Windows 11 user, you have to access the Control Panel to turn on these options.
How to use Windows 11 computer without a keyboard
You can use your Windows 11 computer without an external keyboard by enabling the on-screen keyboard.
We have listed the instructions for the same below:
- Right-click on the Start menu and select Settings.
- Click on the Accessibility option on the left pane.
- On scrolling down the right pane, you will see the Keyboard option in the Interaction section. Click on it.
- Now, scroll down and find the On-screen keyboard option. Once you find it, turn on the button next to it.
You can also use the combination of Win + Ctrl + O keys to turn the on-screen keyboard on and off.
How to use Windows 11 computer without a mouse
To use the numeric keypad as a mouse, follow the instructions listed below:
- Right-click on the Start menu and select Settings.
- Click Accessibility on the left pane.
- Scroll down the right side and click Mouse in the Interaction section.
- Turn on the switch next to the Mouse keys option.
After this, you will be able to use the numeric keypad as a mouse. After enabling this feature, you could not use your numeric keypad to type numbers. Instead, you have to use the number keys on the left side of your keyboard.
When we use the numeric keypad for typing numbers, we have to turn on the Num Lock. The numeric keypad does not work if this key is disabled. The numeric keypad works as a mouse in a similar way. If you select the checkbox that says Only use mouse keys when Num Lock is on, you have to turn on the Num Lock. If you deselect this checkbox, you can use the numeric keypad as a mouse only if Num Lock is turned off.
You can adjust the mouse cursor speed and acceleration by using the respective keys.
Let’s see how to use the numeric keypad as a mouse:
- Moving the cursor: The keys 2 and 8 move the cursor in down and up directions respectively. The keys 4 and 6 move the cursor in left and right directions respectively. The keys 1, 3, 7, and 9 move the cursor diagonally.
- Mouse click: By default, key 5 performs the function of the mouse left-click. But you can customize this key.
- Right-click: Pressing the minus (-) key on the numeric keypad sets the right-click to key 5.
- Both left-click and right-click: Pressing the star (*) key on the numeric keypad sets both left-click and right-click on key 5. After this, the numeric key 5 will perform the functions of the left and right clicks at the same time.
- Left-click: Pressing the divide (/) key on the numeric keypad restores the default left-click on key 5.
- Press and hold the left click: The zero (0) key locks the left click when you press key 5. This option is useful when you have to drag the items.
- Release the locked left-click: To release the left-click, press the dot (.) key on the numeric keypad. This key is used to drop the dragged items.
- Double-click: For double-click, first, press the key 5 and then hit Enter.
How to use Windows 10 computer without a keyboard
First, open the Control Panel and then click on Ease of Access Center. You can also open the Ease of Access Center quickly by pressing together the Windows logo + U key.
Here click on Use the computer without a keyboard or mouse. The full path is:
Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Ease of Access Center . Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard
Check on Use On-Screen Keyboard. Click Apply/OK.
This will display a keyboard on your Windows desktop screen.
How to use Windows 10 computer without a mouse
You can now set up your mouse so that you can use the Numeric keypad to move the mouse around the screen. To do so navigate to Set up Mouse Keys via the following path:
Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Ease of Access Center > Set up Mouse Keys.
While at the Ease of Access Center, you may click on Make the mouse (or Keyboard) easier to use and then click on Set up Mouse keys. Here check the Turn on Mouse Keys checkbox. Click Apply/OK.
In Windows 10, you will also be able to do it this way – Settings app > Ease of Access > Mouse > Enable Use numeric keypad to move mouse around the screen.
Use Voice instead of Keyboard or Mouse
If you wish to use the Speech Recognition feature, instead of using the mouse and keyboard and use click on Use Speech Recognition.
Here you can configure your Speech Recognition settings and experience.
Ease of Access Center
The Ease of Access Center, along with Assistive technologies, also offers several other features that can make using the computer easier and more comfortable to use. These technologies let you:
- Make the computer easier to see
- Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard
- Make the mouse easier to use
- Make the keyboard easier to use
- Use text and visual alternatives for sounds
- Make it easier to focus on reading and typing tasks
- Make it easier to see using Magnifier
- Make it easier to navigate, understand or hear using Narrator
- Type using the On-Screen Keyboard.
How do I get a virtual keyboard?
Windows OS comes with a virtual keyboard, a.k.a., an on-screen keyboard. If you want to use it, you have to enable it from Settings or Control Panel. We have described the entire process above in this article.
TIP: Mouse Without Borders lets you share keyboard & mouse across multiple Windows computers