Are you encountering the “Failed to join session” error on Elden Ring? If yes, this guide will help you fix the error. Elden Ring is an action role-playing game loved by millions of gamers. However, a lot of users have recently complained of getting the “failed to join session” error. This error is basically encountered when several users are trying to launch or join a game at a time. You will get the following error message when you encounter this error:
Unable to summon cooperator, failed to join session error
Now, if you are facing the same error, try the fixes we have mentioned in this post. Before that, let us try and understand the reasons that trigger the error at hand.
What causes Failed to join session error on Elden Ring?
Here are the primary causes of the failed to join session error on Elden Ring:
- It could be caused due to an ongoing server issue. So, make sure the server status of Elden Ring is up and running.
- In case you are summoned by another player when sending summon, you might experience the error at hand.
- It can also occur because of a poor or unstable internet connection. So, test your internet and make sure it is optimized for online gaming.
- Corrupted game files can also cause the error at hand.
- DNS issues also trigger the failed to join session error.
- Other reasons for the same error could be unnecessary background applications running on your PC, in-game network settings, etc.
Unable to summon cooperator, Elden Ring failed to join session
Here are the fixes that you try to resolve the failed to join session error on Elden Ring:
- Restart your PC and Elden Ring.
- Check the server status of Elden Ring.
- Test your Internet connection.
- Check if you are summoned by another player.
- Verify and repair the game files.
- Close unnecessary background programs.
- Flush your DNS.
- Change to a public DNS server.
- Set up Game Network Settings.
- Check if there is a game update available.
- Reinstall Elden Ring.
1] Restart your PC and Elden Ring
The error might be caused due to some internal glitches in your PC or the game itself. Hence, before trying some advanced fixes, reboot your PC and then launch the game to check if the error is fixed or not. If not, you can move on to the next potential fix to resolve the error.
2] Check the server status of Elden Ring
In multiple instances, you are likely to encounter a “failed to join session” error in case there is an ongoing server issue. If Elden Ring is facing a server outage problem or if the servers are under maintenance, you might get this error. So, do check the current server status of Elden Ring and make sure the servers are not down at the moment.
You can check the server status of Elden Ring through a free server-status detector tool. Apart from that, if you are active on social media, you can find out the same on the official social media accounts of Elden Ring. In case you find out there is a server issue, you will have to wait until the error is resolved from the end of Elden Ring. Else, use the next potential solution to fix the error.
3] Test your Internet connection
This error could very well be triggered if you are using an unstable or weak internet connection. So, do ensure that your internet connection is stable and optimized. Check your internet speed and make sure it is good enough for gaming.
You can try troubleshooting your WiFi and fix the WiFi problems on your PC, in case there is an issue. Other than that, if possible, use a wired connection instead of wireless as it is more reliable. Additionally, if there are multiple devices connected to an internet connection, you can disconnect all other devices to prevent bandwidth throttling.
In case your internet connection is optimized and you still get the same error, try the next potential fix to resolve it.
4] Check if you are summoned by another player
This error can occur if you are summoned by another gamer when sending them invitations to join your game world. So, you use the Furlcalling Finger Remedy to verify the summon signs. It is basically a multiplayer product that enables you to check for the summon signs. This product could be achieved by defeating multiple enemies during the gameplay. Or, it might also be dropped by the Host of Fingers while an invasion.
You can also buy Furlcalling finger Remedy from the below locations:
- Twin Maiden Husks on the Roundtable Hold.
- Patches at the Murkwater Cave.
- Merchant Kale on the Church of Elleh.
To craft Furlcalling finger Remedy, you can also use 2Erdleaf Flowers.
5] Verify and repair the game files
It can also be caused due to corrupted or missing game files. So, you can try verifying and repairing the game files of Elden Ring. Here is how to do that:
- Firstly, open Steam and go to LIBRARY.
- Now, locate the Elden Ring game and right-click on it.
- Next, from the context menu, select the Properties option.
- After that, go to the LOCAL FILES tab and tap on the Verify integrity of game files button.
- Once the process is complete, relaunch the game and see if the error is fixed now.
6] Close unnecessary background programs
If your PC is overloaded with too many background programs, you are likely to encounter such game errors. Hence, try closing all the unwanted programs and then see if the error is fixed or not. You can simply open Task Manager, check for CPU extensive and unnecessary programs in the Processes tab, and close them one by one using the End Task button.
7] Flush your DNS
If the “failed to join session” error is triggered because of the corrupted or outdated DNS cache, flush the DNS cache and see if the problem is fixed.
Try the below steps to flush the DNS on your Windows 11/10 PC:
Firstly, launch the Command Prompt with admin rights. Next, write the below command in CMD:
Now, press the Enter button and it will start flushing the DNS cache.
Once you get the “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.” message, close CMD and reopen the game to see if the error is resolved or not.
Read: Fix Elden Ring flickering black screen boxes on Windows.
8] Change to a public DNS server
In addition to the method (7), you can also try changing your default DNS server. DNS server inconsistency can also cause the error at hand. So, switching to a more reliable public DNS server might helo you resolve the error. Many gamers prefer using Google DNS. You can also try using it and check if the error is fixed or not.
You can change to Google DNS Server using the following steps:
- Firstly, open the Run dialog box using Win+R and then type and enter ncpa.cpl in it to open the Network Connections window.
- Next, right-click on your active connection and select the Properties option.
- After that, in the appeared Properties window, select the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option and click on the Properties button.
- Now, select the Use the following DNS server addresses option and enter the following addresses:
Preferred DNS server: 220.127.116.11 Alternate DNS server: 18.104.22.168
- Lastly, save changes by pressing the Apply > OK button.
Now, check if the “failed to join session” error on Elden Ring is fixed or not.
9] Set up Game Network Settings
This error could be triggered if your in-game network settings are not set up correctly. Hence, what you can do is check and configure your game network settings accordingly to fix the error. You can open the Settings in the game and then navigate to the Network > System option. After that, open the in-game menu and go to System > Network. Now, select Cross-Region Play as “Perform Matchmaking” and Launch Settings as “Play Online.”
10] Check if there is a game update available
If the error is still not fixed, check if there is a game update available. New updates and game patches address bugs and errors like these. So, the error at hand might be fixed with new game updates.
11] Reinstall Elden Ring
If none of the above solutions worked for you, you can try reinstalling the game to fix the error. First, uninstall the game and then install it again. Here’s how to do that:
- Firstly, launch the Steam client and navigate to LIBRARY.
- Now, right-click on the Elden Ring game and then choose the Manage > Uninstall option.
- When done uninstalling the game, reinstall it and see if the error is fixed or not.
Now read: Elden Ring not downloading or installing on PC and Console.
Why do I keep getting Connection error on Elden Ring?
The main reasons for getting a connection error on Elden Ring are server issues and a weak internet connection. Other than that, outdated or corrupted network drivers, bad router cache, and issues with your default DNS server can also cause connection errors on Elden Ring.
Why is my Elden Ring multiplayer not working?
If Elden Ring Multiplayer is not working on your PC, it could be because of game servers being down. It can also be caused due to unstable internet connection or corrupted game files.