You may run into a situation, where normal system sound may work fine, but you may be unable to hear the sounds from any Windows Store apps, including XBOX Music or Video applications.
No Sound in Windows apps
- HTML (HTML5)
- CSS (CSS3)
So if you find that sound is disabled in webpages which are HTML based, CSS based or Java-script based, none of the Windows 8 Store application that are ported from web-based application will have sound. To fix this we need to check and make sure “Play sound in Webpage” is enabled in the Internet Explorer.
Enable sound in Internet Explorer
To enable sound in Internet Explorer follow these:
- Open Internet Explorer (Desktop version)
- Go to Settings and click on Internet Options
- Under Internet Options click on Advance Tab
- Under settings section scroll down and find Multimedia section
- There, make sure you enable all the check boxes except “Show image downloaded placeholders”
- Click on apply and click OK
- Now you may need to reboot the system.
Now most of the Windows Store applications should be working fine.
Remember this method works only if you have sound on other application BUT not on Windows Store applications.
If there is no sound at all then it might be a driver related problem. You could in such cases try running the built-in Sound Troubleshooter.
I hope you find this solution helpful.